Skip to main content

Wannaskan Almanac for Tuesday, October 4, 2022 Getting Old

Yeah, I used to laugh at old people sitting around talking about how "this hurts" or "I need pills for that" or "that used to hurt but I got it cut out".  Now I am one of those people.  Sometimes instead of saying what hurts I just put out the short list of things that aren't hurting today.  Getting old is not the happy little journey that I thought it would be!

Then there is that growing list of things I shouldn't, or can't, eat.  Onions...a long time staple in my diet...only sparsely anymore.  Chips are limited.  Salt is on the bad list.  Sugar is on Santa's naughty list.  Milk can lead to tummy troubles.  Orange juice can lead to worse tummy troubles.  It goes on and on.  And don't take too much deep fried food...unless you like the feeling of knives in your stomach!

Milk and OJ...not today!

And finally there is technology.  I thought that the cassette playing boom box was all I would ever need.  Now it hurts to put it on my aiming shoulder and it gets harder and harder to find the latest Anne Murray tape to jam with.  Plus they look at me kind of funny when I go to get 40 D cell batteries for my tune machine.  

Sharing the best of the 80's

Kids are always telling me how to do this or that on my phone or what the latest social media craze is (hint...it's not FaceBook!)  I feel out of it and old and sometimes just plain tired.  So I sneak out back in my yard and sit there and look at clouds and cows and sunrises and sunsets and whatever else nature sends me.  Then, for a few minutes, I feel a lot less overwhelmed and old.  

Comments