Skip to main content

A Woman Walks into a Cidery and Gets a Poem

Hello and welcome to a pre-Hallow's Eve Saturday here at the Wannaskan Almanac. Today is October 29th.

Today, I'm in Baxter, MN, where I’m visiting family. Three amazing things have happened already and I haven't even had my Saturday adventures yet.

First, I had dinner at Sakura, which has been the best sushi restaurant I’ve been to yet. Granted, I haven’t been to a lot of sushi restaurants…but, the food experience is absolutely yum yum. We had the Bagel Roll, the tempura fried Yummy Yummy Roll, and the Thai Spicy Roll.

Second, after dinner, I had a flight of ciders at Woodlore Cider. This was the first cidery I’ve been to, but my brewing hubby also dabbles in cider so was excited to try professional craft ciders. I was impressed. Hopped had pleasing notes of hops that worked well with the cider. Cranberry had the distinctive cranberry taste but wasn’t too tart, Original was crisp (and best of all not too sweet), and Pineapple was the perfect sweet finish. All of the ciders had a nice crisp, apply taste and the best part was none was overly sweet or sweetened. If anything, they leaned the other direction which I appreciated.

And third, a poet on a typewriter wrote me a poem.

“Oh! Hello!” I exclaimed when I saw Molly Ovenden set up by the entrance with her typewriter. I was so excited because I’d read about poets who set up shop in local spaces providing impromptu poetry for passersby. One poet, for example, had received a grant to do so at the Mall of America. I was filled with delight. And that is what Molly, a poet, teacher, and writing coach from Duluth, wrote about for me. 

"delight, sings my soul"
By: Molly Ovenden

when the dawn breaks the horizon
shockwaves of color to greet me
i gasp in awe to behold thee
oh, glorious warmth enrobes me

when buds burst through branches
overwhelming fragrance subdues me
i gasp in awe to behold thee
oh, glorious spring delights me

when chirrupping chickadees awake
silence-dissolving melodies quiet me
i gasp in awe to behold thee
oh, glorious song enlightens me

when the owl cries in the night
shadows of mystery shiver me
i gasp in awe to behold thee
oh, glorious darkness envelopes me

when the smiles of my friends
shine across my gaze--
when memories of joy remain
i gasp in awe to remain with thee. . .
oh, how your glorious experience delights me!


Be delighted and have a great Saturday,

Kim



Comments

Post a Comment