Skip to main content

Torsgad october 13, 2022 Deer Stand Stander-upper

 I started remodeling "Craig's Stand" back in September this year after discovering that a weasel had gotten itself temporarily trapped inside it. It had found a convenient entry through a warp in the exterior chipboard wall and found itself sandwiched in a batt of insulation behind the plastic sheeting. 

I think the weasel went ballistic in an attempt to free itself and chewed, scratched, and ripped its way to freedom. Oh, did I mention it shit everywhere it stopped for a millisecond, trying to find the door? Yes, it did.

Considering the destruction -- and defecation inside, I got to work cleaning its debris away, even going as far as wearing a Covid mask against the purported dangers dealing with feces, when my vision cleared and I second-guessed my efforts were in vain. The deer stand was virtually useless because of how all the trees that had grown up around it since May of this year. Although obviously picturesque in its cozy forest setting, its short six foot height amid all the 'suddenly' much taller tamarack and red pine trees planted in 2012, made it a poor location in November.

I thought about topping a few of the closer trees near it, but once I walked the area I saw I would have to remove many of the trees I had planted in 2012 to improve its location, and that wasn't going to happen. I don't mind cutting down a few if I have to, but not this many. There was only one thing to do ...

I had thought about moving it about 100 feet farther west the last couple years, but until the weasel made me see the forest for the trees, I had just kept putting it off. Besides, I had decided I would just concentrate on planting food plots this year and not build deer stands for a change. However, the 'vesle' changed all that.

My early efforts were documented in Wannaskawriter, beginning on September 25:  https://palmvilletownshipmn.blogspot.com/ I haven't updated my progress there since then, so it is I'll do it here if only to fulfill my Almanac responsibilities. Please bear with me.

Craig's Stand Surrounded By Trees

I painted it 'Privet Hedge' green and put 2 x 10s under it two directions (this image only shows two) to allow the use of a forklift or bale fork for moving it.

I built a new 48x60-inch base with 10-foot legs about 100 feet west of the old location.

Excitement builds. Neighbor Mark Oslund used his Case end-loader and a lot of patience to remove the body of the old stand from the legs. I used a Sawzall and a chainsaw to cut the old legs off. What I thought would only take "An hour at most," took almost over two hours. Whittling the base down from between the two was a battle.

Mark jockeyed the body into position around many trees. He tied a high-strength ratchet strap around the body and attached it to his end loader so it wouldn't fall off the forks.

Even though he said he couldn't see what he was doing, he set it down perfectly. I climbed a ladder and lagged the body to the new base. The ends of the 2x10s will be trimmed off later.

Set in place, except for a little adjustment later, Craig's will prove to be a popular stand.

Back in The Sticks


Comments

  1. Mark is a pro! Now make sure dat it's veasle-proofed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep an eye on those trees near the stand’s new location.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The surrounding trees aren't so close as they were originally. The majority of these aren't tamarack either, so they won't grow as fast. A couple three of the red pine/Norway pine may get shorter after a couple years, but we'll make that decision as needed. Thank you for your observation.

      Delete

Post a Comment