Skip to main content

Guest Post: The Mystery of the Disappearing Ice Cream Cake

Hello and welcome to a snowy Saturday here at the Wannaskan Almanac. Today is October 15th which is way too early for snow and is also the birthday of College Student 2.0. Happy Birthday!

Rob Crowe, a fellow writer, Toastmaster, and friend, shared a great story last week that he's given me permission to share with all of you in Wannaskaland. Enjoy!

Being it was Dawn’s birthday on Monday, and a family tradition to celebrate with an ice cream cake, and since we are now empty nesters, I decided to carry on the tradition by picking up one of these and bringing it to the 4-H meeting on Sunday. Surefire winner, I thought.

I swung into Dairy Queen, checked out the selection and picked out a fine 14” cake, with light blue and lavender frosting. I took it out to the F-150 Super Crew and set it atop my guitar in the rear seat. The guitar was slanted to the rear so I figured it should be pretty safe. I headed home, driving easily I thought, however, on one turn I heard something slide across the seat but didn’t give it much thought.

Reaching home, I opened the driver’s side door to retrieve the cake, however, it wasn’t where I had left it. The container was on the other side. I went around, opened the door, and picked up the cake. It was way too light. I looked down. There was nothing in the container!

I was totally flummoxed. I thought I’d lost my mind for a few seconds.  

Thinking it had to be here somewhere, I turned around and looked down at the door, and there it was, wedged somewhat neatly in the pocket of the door. It took quite a bit of effort to carefully twist it up and out of the pocket. I put it back in the container, took it in the house, and put it in the freezer. That wasn’t easy either; it seemed to know the way out of the container and I twice had it slide out as I was stowing it.  

Then it was cleanup time, using a spatula to make the frosting disappear off the door. The 4-Hers made the rest of the ice cream cake disappear later on. 

Hard to beat a good ice cream cake regardless of the condition of the frosting or how many times it slid awry…

Dawn & Rob Crowe


The disappearance, the discovery, the clean-up, the consumption




On This Day

Historic Highlights (credits)

2003 - Shenzhou 5, China's first human space flight mission launched
Launched from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center in the middle of the Gobi desert in northern China, this launch brought the Chinese into the exclusive club of countries who have achieved manned space flight. The other countries are the USA and the Soviet Union/Russia.

1990 - Mikhail Gorbachev is Awarded the Nobel Peace Prize
The then President of the Soviet Union received the prestigious award given out by the Norwegian Nobel Committee, for his role in lessening tensions during the Cold War.

1987 - Thomas Sankara killed
Thomas Sankara, the President of Burkina Faso, was killed during a coup led by Blaise Compaoré.

1951 - I Love Lucy Airs for the First Time
The American sitcom aired on CBS and featured real-life couple Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz. The popular show lasted for 6 years and it had several spin-offs after it went off air.

1783 - World’s First Manned Balloon Flight
Jean-François Pilâtre de Rozier, a teacher from France, spent about 4 minutes in the air in a balloon made by flight pioneers Joseph-Michael and Jacques-Ètienne Montgolfier. The Montgolfier brothers were responsible for the world’s first balloon flight and for sending the first living being – a duck – on a balloon.

Happy Birthday to You!🎶 


1938 - Fela Kuti, Nigerian singer-songwriter, musician, activist

1931 - A. P. J. Abdul Kalam, Indian scientist, politician, 11th President of India

1926 - Michel Foucault, French philosopher

1881 - P. G. Wodehouse, English author

1844 - Friedrich Nietzsche, German philosopher

Remembering You

1964 - Cole Porter, American composer

1959 - Stepan Bandera, Ukrainian politician

1946 - Hermann Göring, German military leader, politician, Minister President of Prussia

1917 - Mata Hari, Dutch spy

1817 - Tadeusz Kościuszko, Polish/American general


Always secure your cake and make it a great Saturday!

Kim  

Photo Credit


Comments