Skip to main content

June 32 Wannaskan Almanac

That is not a misprint.  Today is June 32.  I refuse to acknowledge July this year because I simply have enjoyed June too much.  There has been vacation time spent in Paris and Israel.
June sunset sky over Warroad, MN
There has been many days on the lake fishing.  June has been very relaxing and exciting.  July...well, it will be too hot and too boring.  That is what my wife tells me, and she is seldom wrong about these things!
So here are some thoughts about the demise of June:
The sweet smell of lilacs disappears far too quickly.  They shrivel and turn from purple and white to brown...and then they simply disappear, taking with them that sweet aroma that teases us for a few short weeks...in June.  Dandelions, with their acidic odor, last until the snowflakes fall.  Lilac flowers disappear too quickly.  July leaves only a flower-less, scent-free bush.
June is the start of summer.  It is the first week of marriage.  It is that first kiss.  It is your first motorcycle...or your first car...or your first bicycle.  July is that second month.  It is like a second piece of cake.  Sure it tastes good, but you almost wish you would have politely refused.  It is too much.  Too much humidity, too much fireworks, too many bugs.  Even a bountiful blueberry harvest is too hard to endure thanks to horseflies and mosquitoes.
Today’s lost gem is a song by Adam Again called “River on Fire”.  Enjoy.

What would you say if you knew what I was thinking
Maybe you do, but you know not to dig too deep
What if I knew what you needed for sure
I've seen in your eyes you need more, much more
And I could be happy, and you could be miserable
I'll grab a metaphor out of the air
The Cuyahoga River on fire
What can you say? The impossible happens
What can you settle for
What can you live without
I remember the night I first darkened your door
And I swore that I loved you
My heart was pure
You could be happy, and I could be miserable
My open window, a dream in the dark
My fingers, your face
A spark, a trace
I know a lot about the history of Cleveland, Ohio
Disasters that have happened there
Like the Cuyahoga River on fire

The reason for this song is because I dragged my dear wife out fishing this morning.  This made me happy, but it made her miserable.  Or at least not as happy as me.  
Happy June 32nd!

Comments