Skip to main content

Adventure Ooze and Creative Gratitude

Hello and welcome to a steamy Saturday here at the Wannaskan Almanac. Today is July 27th, aka, post-Roseau County Fair recovery day. May you all find some shade and a breeze.

On this day, Vincent Van Gogh attempted to end his life. (He succeeded two days later.) Five years ago, my book club read a novel about Van Gogh that I enjoyed, if I recall correctly, much more than the other ladies did. Part love story, part historical fiction, The Last Van Gogh by Alyson Richman tells the story of Van Gogh's last days through the eyes of young Maurguerite Gachet, of whom Van Gogh completed two paintings. 

Fifty years later, we celebrate the creation and "birth" of Bugs Bunny, which only goes to show how the world keeps turning. Life is lost; creations are born. Both Van Gogh and Bugs timeless in their own ways.


Happy Birthday, to Alexandre Dumas, fils, the son of the other Alexandre Dumas, père (who celebrated his birthday on July 24th, as noted in this past week's Word Wednesday post.) The père is known for famous literary works such as The Three Musketeers, The Count of Monte Cristo, and The Man in the Iron Mask. The fils, was best known for The Lady of the Camellias, "which was adapted into Giuseppe Verdi's opera La traviata." (Source - Wikipedia)

We remember Bob Hope and Gertrude Stein. Did you know Bob Hope was British? Remembered as an American icon of humor and Hollywood, that was a fun fact for me to discover. Gertrude Stein, I should really know more about. Alas, my knowledge of the famous literary feminist is through Hemingway and other novels I've read in which she gets an honorable mention and, sometimes, a few lines of dialogue. (Paula McLain's, The Paris Wife, comes to mind.) If you have a favorite Stein work, comment below!

Last week, I shared how the Oldest is still drifting about in a nostalgic fog after her month-long Laketrails experience. After my weekend at The Priory Writers' Retreat in Eau Claire, Wisconsin, I'm in a similar dreamy state. I can't even articulate with any sense of coherence just how much I loved that retreat. 

The people: attendees and the writers-in-residence were not only talented writers themselves, but incredibly supportive and took great care in critiquing one another's work. 

The space: sleeping quarters were dormitory-style with single rooms blasting air conditioning. The beds were simple (dare I say, somewhat monastic?) but luxuries such as plump feather pillows aren't necessary when one is simply grateful for a chance to spend some time in a creative environment with other creatives. 

The food: I'm always going to love any food that I don't have to cook, but the best dinner was Friday night. I can't even remember what it was except it had cilantro and mint and I took two helpings. (Lettuce wraps?) And, unless you're not a consumer of alcoholic beverages, who's not going to love FREE craft beer, donated courtesy of The Brewing Projekt.

The work: We had ample time to work creatively on our own or with others in the morning. This was followed by workshops led by the Writers-in-Residence who included, Nickolas Butler, Dasha Kelly Hamilton, David McGlynn, Laura Jean Baker and BJ Hollars (the guy who organized the whole shindig.) The first three authors listed, as well as former Wisconsin poet laureate Max Garland, provided craft talks - a one-hour reflection on the craft of writing to inspire the audience. 

My awesome fiction workshop peeps. Photo credit: Justin Patchin Photography
The play: Open mic opportunities were available every night. Friday night featured the Eggplant Heroes (a band in which Max is a member). Saturday night included a field trip (on a yellow school bus!) to downtown Eau Claire to enjoy a reading event at the Pablo Center at the Confluence (where the Eau Claire and Chippewa Falls Rivers merge) performed by our writers-in-residence. Nick Butler read from his latest work-in-progress ("To celebrate the vulnerability displayed this weekend."), David McGlynn read a chapter from his fatherhood memoir, One Day You'll Thank Me, and Dasha Kelly Hamilton brought down the house with her poem The Joy of 'Catching Flies'.

The power: I went to this retreat with a novel and an objective to improve craft and that first chapter. But, surprisingly, I also read my last Saturday's post, Moon Landings and Motherhood Affidavits, at Saturday's open mic night (After I'd confidently announced on Thursday, "There's no way in hell, I'll be reading.") And I wrote a poem entitled I Think I Love You, Dasha Kelly. I read it to her, too, and I assure you, it wasn't creepy or stalker-ish. (Because Julie, my fiction workshop peep, said so.)

I went to this retreat with a vision - how to make my novel better. I came away with a dream - the possibilities busting open inside me. More ideas, a reminder to "play" with my writings, to reach across genres. When I woke up in my own bed Monday morning, I got an idea for a new book (non-fiction) and had the bulk of it outlined by the end of the day. I closed the computer and opened my journal again. The rest of this week, as I ran errands that took me all around Wannaskan country, schlepped kids to and from the county fair, and supervised sleepovers, I reveled in the rejuvenation of the creative spirit provided by a single weekend.

Adventure oozed from my skin and dripped onto my children.

I took the little kids blueberry picking right away Monday morning and made blueberry pancakes for dinner that same night. (We sang to keep the bears away.) I said, "YES!" when my teenagers asked to drive through Manitoba, going in and out of customs and border crossings, by themselves, to get up to the Angle so they could spend the night with friends on Lake of the Woods. I was only too glad to accommodate an impromptu sleepover for the WAKWIR and his friends at our house. (Pajamas? Toothbrushes? Pa-shaw.) All week, I spent the morning hours before the kids woke up, not doing chores or business, but reading

Last week, I left my northwestern Minnesota hamlet on the big lake feeling full of responsibilities. I returned home feeling released and rested by the joys and blessings granted in a weekend of being creative. That magnitude of satisfaction is more than a body could ever hope to imagine, let alone experience, in the space of a few days.

So, thanks, Chippewa Valley Writers Guild for the adventure ooze and creative gratitude.

Priory Writers Retreat Gang of 2019, Photo credit: Justin Patchin Photography


Kids' Corner 

MOM HERE.

The WAKWIR is currently on trail with his Laketrails crew. He almost didn't make it though, because he and I both neglected to bring his passport. (For the non-Wannaskan readers, you have to travel through Canada to get up to the Northwest Angle.)

I guess I was too busy admiring my handiwork on his haircut. (Ma's got skills!) It wasn't until the kids were lined up to board the bus that I realized he was missing the pertinent (not to mention required) documentation. Fortunately, we were able to cook up a viable Plan B and he made it up there in one piece. Didn't even have to sell a kidney.

A friend of ours participated in the Apollo 11 celebrations in Houston last week and brought back some swag for our kid. Boy is he going to be surprised!

Apollo 11 Swag for the Kid

For your viewing pleasure until the WAKWIR returns, here are some photos from Houston, courtesy of our friend. Thanks, Paul!





On This Day

Historic Highlights (credits)

2012 - Queen Elizabeth II officially opens the 2012 Summer Olympics in London
It was the 3rd time London had hosted the multi-event international sports event. The ceremony was called Isles of Wonder and was directed by Danny Boyle.

1985 - Coup in Uganda
Tito Lutwa Okello, an Ugandan military officer successfully staged a coup against president Milton Obote. He was ousted by current president Yoweri Museveni 6 months later.

1955 - Austrian State Treaty came to force
The treaty re-established Austria as a democratic and sovereign country after World War II. It also ended the allied occupation of the country.

1940 - Bugs Bunny's official debut
Bugs Bunny made his official debut in A Wild Hare.

1890 - Vincent Van Gogh shoots himeslf
The famed painter, shot himself in the chest. He died of his wounds two days later.

Happy Birthday to You!🎶 

1980 - Dolph Ziggler, American wrestler

1975 - Alex Rodriguez, American baseball player

1969 - Triple H, American wrestler, actor

1870 - Hilaire Belloc, English writer

1824 - Alexandre Dumas, fils, French author

Remembering You

2015 - A. P. J. Abdul Kalam, Indian scientist, politician, 11th President of India

2003 - Bob Hope, English/American actor, singer, producer

1980 - Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, Shah of Iran

1948 - Joe Tinker, American baseball player

1946 - Gertrude Stein, American poet, art collector


May you revel in your own adventures and creativity and make it a great Saturday!

Kim


Comments

  1. Gertrude Stein hit the nail on the head. People have forgotten how to think for themselves and why they would do it, however I reluctantly admit that a GPS is a handy memory tool in the Twin Cities once you get the damn thing going. Why I'd be chasing a thin blue line with a finger or pen through a maze of streets with no names I could read, across freeways that didn't exist when the map was printed and gettin' all turned around and be swearin' and gettin' all red-faced and frustrated yet, if it wasn't for them. Just another reason, not to leave home ...

    I was surprised to find that guy numbers were almost equal to girl numbers at your retreat. 'Back in the day' girls outnumbered guys 3 to one at events like that. I'm impressed. When is your LOW retreat this year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my fiction workshop group, we had 9 men and 3 women. It was the first time I had ever attended anything relating to art (and writing is art, no?) that had a male majority. I credit the organizer - a pretty bubbly guy who was a camp counselor in his younger days. Really, it explains everything. Also, there more male than female workshop leaders, and you know, guys know guys, and so maybe that increased manly numbers. In any case, I really enjoyed having the ratio flip-flopped and the guys did their due diligence on everyone's work, even the romantic comedy some lady submitted. ;)

      The LOW retreat is September 5 - 8. No men have signed up yet! Do you wanna get the ball rolling for me. You would LOVE the island.

      Delete

Post a Comment