Skip to main content

The One – Song 7: Snakes and Dragons – Segment 1

Just before we begin today’s post, I include the last few lines from “Weighing Anchor,” the last of three posts for that Song. I include those lines here because today’s post continues that conversation from the previous post. 

Here, the journey begins in earnest. Our two adventurers have prepared provisions, and the blessing of the red boat for transportation. But the question remains: How well have they prepared themselves, both in body and mind? Of course, a journey on a river is classic, near mythical. The rhythm of the water’s flow, and the fact that “Time is marked by sun and meals and sleeping” are seductive. This is perhaps so because our travelers have entered the natural conditions of life just as it is, without contrivance or preconceived concepts. All is new. Everything hums with the physical, biological environment. Very little of humanity’s creations intrude.



Here are the last few lines from the prior post

So, what were you afraid of?” He’s attentive 
“Well, I’m not sure. I try not to think much.”
“Here’s a chance to try,” Hart encourages
“No, you first. You’re the one who brought up fear.”
“All right,” Hart concedes with mock impatience.  
            “I’ve got two points to zero so far now.”
“Not unless you say what you’re afraid of.”


Snakes and Dragons – segment 1

“That’s easy.  I miss that town we just left   
            and I wonder if I’ll see it again
            I didn’t hate it like you did, you know.
            But it was ‘when’ not ‘if’ that I would go.
            Your turn, and in the telling make it so”
Hart settles into silence – looks at me

“You’re right.  I couldn’t wait to leave that town
            I don’t miss anyone, but it’s the place
            I’ve always lived, so it’s like falling out
            of the nest.  It’s a good thing, but I’m scared.”
“Of what exactly?  Right now, for instance?”
I keep rowing to focus on something
that is mechanical without feelings
“Well, for instance, at the end of today
                        we have to get a message to our folks.”
“It’s already taken care of,” Hart says
            while barely suppressing an impish smile
“What!? That can’t be!” And now I stop rowing.
“I did it myself, and through mine yours know.”
“When?”
“Before we left.”
“If they told my parents, we wouldn’t be
            rowing down this river in this red boat."
“Well, we’re in the boat but you aren’t rowing.”
I pull up and slam both oars in their locks.
“Careful, you’ll break our boat,” says Hart giggling
“This boat is out of service until you
            tell me what you have done or didn’t do!”

“Let me start at this good boat’s beginning.  
            I told my parents immediately 
about our intentions. It seemed right to tell. 
How do you think I got all this food, blankets
and even some coin which I haven’t mentioned?”
Ignoring the money and provisions,
            I went to the heart of my own concern
“You trusted them? Are you some kind of fool!?”
“They’ve never given me reason not to.
            Not like your folks, I guess.  That is too bad.
I told them you wanted to be secret.
            They agreed to break the news to your folks
            tonight, when they expect us back in town.  
            All my parents asked was that I let them
know how we’re doing every week or two.”

I drop my forehead to my upright palms
I can’t believe how easy Hart makes this
I had snuck and stole and not said a word
I know my parents and they would never
            agree to such an open-ended jaunt
Still, I felt guilty about my deceit
            but telling Hart this? No. That won’t happen
“I’m not telling my parents like some kid.”
“Don’t have to. They’ll get the news anyway.”
“Why didn’t you tell me?  I feel betrayed.”
“You would not have agreed.  Now we are gone.”
“I’ll get over it.  At least that’s one fear 
            counted down and dozens more to deal with.”
“Probably more,” Hart says.  “Now let me row.”

Two days later and many miles downstream
Hart and I have settled into silence
except when some words emerge worth saying
In this way we hear water-carried sounds
            birdsong, creatures rustling on shore, humming
                        from river towns – voices, carts, machinery
And always water sounds – droplets from oars
            wavelets against sandbars, dives from the boat
                        to cool off, then hanging from the stern while
                        the relentless current glides us due South
            
Time is marked by sun and meals and sleeping
            the last taking up a larger portion
                        than perhaps it should but the rocking boat
                        and the high-arched sun both tax energy
                        and staying awake much without purpose
On the hot afternoon of the fifth day 
            I sit chin in hand watching the boat’s prow
                        divide the silt-brown water into two 
diverging ripples expanding outward
Suddenly, a slender shadow-wrinkle
appears before the bow, off to the left
I shade my eyes against the glare, follow
            the rift to its source and there protruding
                        an inch or two above the waterline
                                    a glistening flat-scaled water snake’s gray head
                                                eyes – two fire-yellow coals of steely light 
                                    around her neck a broken, pale gold ring                     
                                    underbelly flashes glimpses of orange

“Stop rowing,” I whisper and point so Hart
            can see the reason for my abrupt charge 
I hear him gently pull up oars and lock  
We glide in the central channel, silent
            now paralleling the slender bodied
                        river snake who heads due South just like us
“Looks like she’s going somewhere,” I whisper.
“Most everybody is by accident
            or intention,” Hart whispers back sagely
“May be a ‘he?’”  It’s hard to tell with snakes.”
The serpent’s length looks about ten inches
            with girth hardly as round as a fat thumb 
Within the snake’s tiny head, I can’t see
            much room for intention, yet her wriggling
                        clear direction is not accidental
Her motive comes from my imagination
the force is obvious – of course, instinct –
                        a source of knowing without thought.  That’s good!
So very much simpler than relying 
            on our brains with their uncertain groping
But now a flush of impulse bubbles up 
“Let’s follow her!” I whisper sharp to Hart
“That’s likely,” he replies, “since we are all
            drifting South with the current anyway.”
I wave him off with a disgusted look
            and turn back to the spunky snake forging
            the river trailing the tiniest wake

A bit farther on she veers to the right
            but seems wary of our bow following
                        a few feet behind.  “Back row a bit,”
                        I whisper to Hart. “Watch her reaction.”
“All right, captain,” he says under his breath
When the snake likes the margin, she tacks off
            to left, crosses our bow, and makes for shore

We follow some yards behind and as we
near shore she vanishes around a corner
Hart pulls toward the snake’s left turn, and whispers,
“Shadowing a snake is bad, I must say.”
“I guess, if we were traveling in Eden.
            and if this snake was up an apple tree.”

I focus on the snake’s vanishing point
As we glide near, a backwater channel
            opens up that lays completely hidden
                        and there’s the snake waggling her way along
like she knows the place and where she’s going
In fact, she is far more certain than we
            who have no better compass than this lean 
                        reptile-needle’s unspecified objective 

We stay well back so as not to frighten
our unusual guide but each time we round
                        another channel turn, the snake appears
                                    making passage like a ship coming home
At the third turn, an old broken-down pier
            comes into view and behind it a hut
            with fishing nets and traps hung between trees
“I think we should turn around,” cautions Hart
“Nobody’s here.  Let’s go see,” I counter
Hart does not answer but keeps on rowing

The snake has disappeared under the dock
We crease the first piling and I hold us
            there while I peer under the dock and try
            to locate the snake.  “Phew! What smells rotten?”
            Hart asks holding his nose and grimacing
“There’s a bunch of fish parts floating around
under here,” I say peering under the dock
“Maybe the snake eats them.  That’s why she’s here.”

Hart lets out a short gasp.  I say,  "Don’t be
            so fragile,” but when I get up to face
            him I see he’s staring at the old hut
            and he looks like he has seen a demon – 


Background:
When a young person decides it is time to leave home, history lies behind, and for the most part, a blank future stretches ahead. This dynamic of past and future creates a tension that pushes the person onward in an ever-present state of alertness. Everything seems (and usually is) new. Everything seems brighter, richer, closer, and aglow with living. Have all of us not experienced this kind of adventure in small or large ways? If not, have we not longed for such a journey?

Exploration #1: In contrast to Hart, what do you think drives the main character to such an extreme aversion to the home town just left behind?

Exploration #2: Does the appearance of the water snake and its subsequent actions seem believable? From a literary sense, what could the snake symbolize?

Exploration #3: What are the differences in attitudes and beliefs between Hart and the protagonist as exhibited by the incident with the snake? With such diametrically opposed views, what are the chances they will continue to travel together?


NEXT: Snakes and Dragons – Segment 2













Comments

  1. Hey there! I read last week's opening of this song. I assumed the MC is female - but reading today, there really isn't a gender reveal. Or did I miss it?

    I find our two characters have moved away from being companionable to tolerable toward one another. Why the MC would be upset with parents, I imagine might have something to do with the author's own parents. But it seems strange that an adult (albeit a young one) would feel consternation instead of freedom that Hart has done the deed of informing the parents. I'm assuming Hart did it as a gesture of kindness.

    I'm guessing Hart had a more grounded, loving and stable home, whereas the narrator did not. Hart has a sense of knowing and self, of direction, that makes him satisfied with following the river's course, i.e. south. He's along for the adventure, but not necessarily searching.

    The narrator, on the other hand, takes this as the ultimate act of defiance - the leap of faith that enlivens and proves that yes, he/she does have a place in the world. This one, ungrounded, however, doesn't yet know his/her power and so seeks - what's dangerous? what's safe? who's to know? You only know by experiencing. This narrator may not know much yet, but he/she does know that the simple course of floating south is already boring and not very adventurous at all. I see the snake as the first of this young narrator's real adventures post-choice to set on down the river.

    I liked your comparison to Tom & Huck. I will have to go back and look at it. Did they bicker much? I remember them having more camaraderie than Hart and the MC.

    Looking forward to the dragon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your taking the time to not only read this segment (and others), but to express your questions and insights. First, you haven’t missed the gender question. “The one” represents both the search for “who or what is the one,” and also that the search pertains to each one of us, regardless of gender or persuasion.

      Regarding the shift between the two characters from companionship to tolerance, you got that right. It is based on how the journey impacts each. I hope nothing prepares the reader from knowing in advance how that develops. I think Hart tells his parents because it is a practicality and because he has no concern about what his parents will think or require. Kindness is not in the picture – just something to be done. On the other hand, the main character does have tension, and even animosity, toward the parental relationship. That friction likely creates both a tendency to poor communication, fear of repercussions, and possibly hatred to some degree – at least dislike. And yes, my own experience has proved grist for this dynamic; however, I had two mothers. One you know about; the other was more like Hart’s mother. Still, I hope I have simply used that experience, and not deviated into autobiography.

      As far as your question about Huck and Jim, overall there is a significant friendship between them, despite their differences in age and circumstances. On the other hand, it takes Huck some time to understand Jim’s qualities; so, the tension between them is less than their closeness. In contrast, our two main characters have a volatile combination of friendship and basic differences of their natures.

      Your comment that Hart is “along for the adventure, but not necessarily searching” feels right. In addition, he acts as a foil for the main character who is both desperately urgent to get away, as well as moving toward an unknown someone or something, or both. Also, the MC is conflicted between feeling powerful in the act of moving away from relative stability, and toward open territory where, as you say, there’s concern for safety vs. danger; again, as you say, it’s only experiencing that reveals the answers which are forever shifting. Extraordinary impermanence. This means meeting people and events just as they become important.

      You say you look forward to the dragon. I’ll let you in on things past and what’s coming in this regard. In all, nine dragons populate our story. They begin small, just as the main character is both a child and later a young adult. Three have appeared. They are, of course, all reptiles. Do you want to guess the three, or should I tell you? I admit, identifying them is best done in retrospect; however, some are more obvious than others.

      I think that responds to your investigations. Again, you have my gratitude for taking the time to explore the work. This is not the usual response to such poetry. I hope I can do justice to your interest as the story continues. CS

      Delete

Post a Comment