I am coming to grips with one of the biggest fallacies that I fell for in my younger years. Way back...way, way back...I watched some documentaries that early in life set me on a path. Those documentaries were called "Animal House" and "Real Genius". They, and other documentaries, made me believe that college was going to be much diffetent than I found it to be.
First of all, college girls are not attracted to intelligent nerds. Well, maybe Mark Zuckerberg...but I am pretty sure money had something to do with that. In my case, I was a broke intelligent nerd. No money, lots of brains, and serviceable looks.
Second, nobody warned me that the “wild, chaotic, toga‑party‑every-night” version of college was apparently only available to people who had either rich parents, social skills, or a complete disregard for academic survival. I, unfortunately, had none of the above. My idea of a party was staying up until 7 a.m. working my third job and wondering why my life didn’t look like a John Belushi training montage. I kept waiting for the moment when someone would slide into my life and say, “Bro, the secret society has chosen you.” Instead, I got a guy named Troy asking if I wanted to drink expired Mello Yello.
Third, I discovered that professors were not quirky, eccentric geniuses who delivered lectures while juggling beakers or blowing up watermelons. They were tired. Deeply tired. Most of them looked like they had been grading papers since the Carter administration and were now running purely on caffeine and spite. I kept expecting a Robin Williams “Carpe Diem” moment, but the closest I got was Dr. Frauenholtz telling us, “How do you think you should do that?” in Math. Not exactly the inspirational soundtrack I had been promised.
Fourth, I learned that dorm life was not even a possibility for me. I spent a year living with my Mom and then stayed at my Mello Yello friend's house. He moved out and I stayed with his parents. They were not what I would call party animals.
Fifth, I realized that being an “intelligent nerd” didn’t grant me any special powers. In the movies, the nerds build lasers, hack government systems, and win the girl with a heartfelt monologue. In real life, my greatest intellectual achievement was figuring out how to pass Accounting 101 without crying in public. And when I tried heartfelt monologues, they mostly came out sounding like I was giving a TED Talk on why I was a reasonable dating candidate. Shockingly, this did not work.
Finally, I came to grips with the fact that college wasn’t a movie — it was a mildly chaotic two‑year scavenger hunt where the clues were written in bad handwriting and half of them were missing. This was followed by a one year compacted return of the student in my mid-thirties. But somewhere in the middle of all the disappointment, awkwardness, and unmet expectations, I found something better than the cinematic version: I found real friends, real growth, and real stories that didn’t need a Hollywood script. And honestly, even though I never got the toga party or the laser lab, I did get a life that was mine — weird, nerdy, broke, and absolutely unforgettable.
Comments
Post a Comment