
THIRD MOVEMENT
SONG SEVENTEEN
BURNING GROUND
III
I keep moving retracing steps
I decide the City will be next
I intend to confront it – I will not wait
to find that old terrain and know its sound
Back to the city – back to gray walls
journeying outward, inward – burning ground
I continue with courage heading there
and time being a relative thing
dances and laughs in shifts and shimmers
as I open to hear the City’s old sound
First, a river flowing inside a littered border
that I hardly saw when I ran anxious
to join the gray-skulled order
Now there is time and I will proceed
and proceeding I will begin
and beginning I will know
the river’s voice that sings to me
Yes, this is what I mean after all
This is it. Everything heard in the river’s call
So after days of listening to turning wheels
I do arrive in the City and enter its stream at the eighth and northern gate
where the sweet star-jasmine still climbs the graying wall
As I step down from the breathing train
I hear clicks, rush of air, sand scratching stone
as gray forms scuttle and scrape along
Yes, they are still here. They have not changed
I have
been one of them
Now I am not
but because I was, I know them well
I want to put my arms around them all
and tell them what waits outside the walls
But I cannot unless they ask
and they will not do so
in their hurry to pass
by this stranger lately arrived
spewed unwashed from a train
with too much brightness about the eyes
Now the rain begins, as before, and tears
wet my face and mingle with rain – just to re-member
when I thought this place the journey’s end
I chuckle to myself thinking of how the journey begins
and begins and begins again just like these drops of spattering rain
that track their pattern on any path
simply because the drops are there to fall
Such musings make me laugh
I walk the long way down to the City’s second and southern gate
where I enter the stream of gray flowing into grayer towers
on hard-nailed feet that scrape and scuttle on stone and floors
A certain unexpected joy rises up – I am swallowed up – forgotten –
nobody – at last! and it does not matter in the slightest to me
In fact, it makes me laugh out loud -- and this
-- just for a moment – stops the scuttling feet
before they forget and resume their hurried beat
They cannot remember
I cannot forget
An unlikely pair meeting on a nameless street
I move out to the street standing beneath a gray tower wall
I look down and see the grayest of forms, huddled smaller
then I remember -- wrapped in rags
waving a broken white bowl from side to side
I know this man and I know his face
especially the weeping holes where eyes should be
So I sink down close and join him there
and I hum a tune into the stale gray air
The bowl stops waving as he senses me far closer
then his comfort will allow
“Get away from me!” he hisses. “This place is mine!”
But I just keep singing and tapping time
with my boot against the stone
Now he shouts, “Get the hell away! Leave me alone!”
As I feel his fear rise up, I do too
I walk away silent again toward another I must see
high above the seventh gate on a cliff – a wounded tree
I make my way to the seventh gate and climb the hill to the hollow tree
I step inside again and remember the names of stars
above this nameless tree
wrapped around the burning star that is me
This time there is no rain, nor any fear of being chased and found
This time the wind is singing in the leaves and the sound of river water
streaming up the wood from dark wet roots below
is at peace with the blind, dead half of the wounded tree
I stand inside and, as before, touch two worlds at once
Life and death within a single trunk
inside this tree
I know the One inside of me
I return slowly down the hill. I am glad to have seen the tree
Later, I board the northern coach on rails of falsetto steel
I travel with the one who waits
I close my eyes and let the whiteness take me down down
down and deep
“Come nearer still,”
the whisper calls and I turn to see the dark and jagged
wound that splits the huge trunk in two
yet farther up green still clings and trembles
Looking down again I see the base is nearly severed
split by this night’s lightning bolt
the last in a series of older assaults that have carved
a hollow in living wood
Now my arms go round the wounded trunk and I say,
“I am here with you.”
“You are the One to do this for me,” says the Tree
“I perform the task when needed,” I say by way of asking
“The striking time is best known by you and me.”
“To know that time is the only thing.”
“You are the One who will not betray,” says Tree
“A singular task brings unity!”
“Comfort and simplicity! Now then, finish me!”
Knowing that fear is a matter of time
I move my weight against the tree
cracking the base and falling together through light
down to deep path cut in the snow
drawing everything to one-pointed light
in a singular sound – ancient—piercing – low
I continue with courage
ReplyDelete