Skip to main content

The One - The One - Third Movement: Remembering - Song 17: Burning Ground - Segment IV

 



THIRD MOVEMENT

REMEMBERING

 

SONG SEVENTEEN

BURNING GROUND

 

IV


When next I wake, I see the train is rolling through the City set in emerald hills

still floating in its lotus dreams and cut in half by its languid river

that once laid its moonbreast in my mouth and brought loved ones to my life

 

I feel and know at once that this place above all others can truly harness time

because we move in a light-speed circle around one other only

we outstrip the churning clock and fall turning and turning 

into our own darkness alight 

with the cold flame we need

            the one endless fire in whose warmth we freeze

 

Still, I want to re-member that long exhale into fire

and the mist-formed shimmer that was my light

I am breathless once again even after all these years as if no time has passed

and I still hunger for that ghostly one’s retreating back

 

What is this place I struggle to reclaim?

Who is this one that I so ache to see again?

 

I struggle to re-shape the broken past

to re-member    to see again

but I am a river of sand in a glass

that sifts all lovers the same – first to last

 

A hiss               a glimmer                      a whisper I knew

but that time is over – a dream – an impossible place

The One disappearing into face after face

But still the desire to follow where I think pure love goes

staggering into that crevice of time between fire and snow

 

None too soon, I re-member the sound of the white owl’s wings

and the deafening song that the ice-stars sing

and I see the One alive in the moonlight

and the shimmering face I see  is mine

            without me there are no memories or dreams

            without me nothing is what it seems

 

And so, willingly, I return to the pain

I conjure all the beloveds once again

I savor the losses honeyed and coiled in my mouth

I must feel this pain to know how to let it go

            to reach the place where we all exist

            where there is no difference in all beloveds kissed

 

I need this pain to lead me to ground that I must burn

to move closer and farther away 

– rooted, choiceless empty of questions or quests

living voiceless like tangled roots, smokey and gray

 

 

 

 

I see again that fear is a matter of time

and no breathless space will stop its flow

No reckless speed to the next and the next

Of this I am certain.  This I know

 

By now, I have learned that nothing comes 

of giving way to grief, and in the end, grief and joy the same

in all the nations I have walked and named

And so,  I choose to live without waiting 

         no more wrestling on the borders of death

I am     in my time                     in my breath

                        free to go          free       free       free

 

The horror of waiting is finished

The last sigh expelled as he begins to slip his skin

moving ever closer and farther away

now traveling out – no longer in

I lay my body’s length along the Tree

as other trees arch over him and me

With long slow strokes, I warm the dying trunk

With deepening cold, the fallen one lets go his light

Electric colored sparks flare up as the life unsheathes

Great sadness wells up and deepens grief

And when my body has nothing more to say

I leave him there and walk away

back to the place of the final strike

where the singular sound of the cracking tree

honed into my core – irrevocably changing me

And there in that place below the empty air

where the Tree had stood through time and bloomed

tiny ones of fur and claw already there

choosing the bits that fuel their lives

and carry on the One who had been here.

Comments