Skip to main content

Another Story from Antonin: The Montana Trip Goes Kaplooey

In my last blog post, I was talking about that we were going to Montana. But, no. Instead, the Montana train kept getting canceled. So, instead, we went to Grand Marais to ski at Lutsen.

The first time I went skiing, I broke my leg. So, this is how it happened: I fell two times. The first time, I fell on purpose because I wasn't ready yet. My brother Luke helped me up. The second time, I was going like super fast. I fell. When I fell, my ski flipped to the side. And then I was in major pain. My brother Luke at least got me all the way to the side. 

He called my mom. She wouldn't answer. He called my dad. He didn't answer. He called my sister Tereza. She answered. We told her what happened. She told my mom right away. The rest of my whole family went up on the chairlift and met me where I was just laying to the side.

Then my mom took off her skis and sat down next to me and felt my leg. It was hurting a lot. Then my dad went down the mountain and got the ski patrol. A person named Dan came to me first. He was helping me. He asked me to tell the story of how I got the injury. 

Dan walkie-talkie'd to some other people. They were talking about bringing a snowmobile but it wasn't available. So, instead, they brought a toboggan. Then they slowwwwly got me on the toboggan. They brought me down the hill. They put me on a little board and carried me into a little building. Then they put me on a little bed that was really comfortable.

They asked me a bunch of questions. They asked me about how did it happen. Did you feel anything pop? Which stuffy do you want: a dog or a pelican? They asked me a lot of questions. I chose the dog and they let me keep it.

They put my leg in cardboard and bubble wrap. Then they put snow in a Ziploc bag and put it on the leg. They asked my parents a couple questions. They put me on a board again and carried me to my mom's van. She brought me to the emergency room in Grand Marais.

It took a very long time to get to the ER. When we arrived, they brought me to an examination room. First, they took off the splint. My least favorite part about the ER was the x-ray. I had to twist my leg and that hurt a lot. And after the x-ray part, they put on a new splint.

First, they put on a sock thing and then they put on a tan bandage. They wrapped it in white fiberglass. Then they put on a purple sticky bandage on each end of my leg. Then they had to do some other stuff and talk to my mom and then pretty soon we could leave.

When we got to our hotel room, we got there before the rest of my family. Later that night after dinner, my leg started hurting again. My parents had to rush me back to the ER. It was only a couple blocks away. They told us that my splint was only a little bit too tight. So they loosened it and we were good to go. 

It was hard for me to sleep.

The next day, my mom brought me to Bemidji to see an orthopedist. First, they took off the splint. Then they put on a black cast. It goes all the way up my leg. Then I got another X-ray. This time it was not painful at all. The person who gave me the X-ray had the same problem as me too - she also broke her tibia in the same spot when she was my age.

We had to wait for the doctor to come back into the room to see the x-ray. After that, we could finally go. When we got out of the building, first my mom went to Target to buy Bublrs, and then we got Burger King.

It took us a long time to get back to the hotel in Grand Marais. When we got back, the rest of my family got back a couple minutes after us and I played on my sister's computer with her. I taught her a new game called Eugene's Life, but I call it Egwan's Life. 

And then we watched this really funny movie called Rat Race. It was a really funny movie. My favorite part was when this guy named Owen was stealing clothes from a bus driver and he tricked him by saying that a woman was going to have a baby.

After that, we brushed our teeth and went to bed. I slept better than the other night. In the morning, I asked my mom to get my crutches. I'm really bad at using crutches. My mom said that it was too early to try practicing. Then my mom got my crutches and I walked all the way from my parent's room all the way to the couch, which was a great achievement for me.

My dad, my two sisters, and my two brothers left for skiing. Me and my mom stayed here at the hotel and had a really nice breakfast. 

What I think about having a broken leg is that it's really NOT fun. But it was really fun making the blog post with my mom. We hope that you have a really great New Year.





Comments

  1. Hi Antonin, It’s Paul from Minneapolis. Sorry to hear about your leg. You have quite a story to tell! At least you are young, strong and still growing so your leg will be fine. Too bad the cast is black because it’ll be hard for people to sign it. See ya’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're going to buy a gold metallic pen. :)

      Delete
    2. Linda Nett-DuesterhoeftDecember 31, 2022 at 10:16 PM

      Dear Antonin. I’m really sorry you broke your leg. I read your whole story. You are a really good writer. Sorry this is a true story and not fiction. Glad you have good people around you and a great attitude.

      Delete
    3. Dear Linda, thank you. - Antonin

      Delete
  2. Hi Antonin, awwe sorry about your leg. Loved reading the blog from you with your mom's help. ❤️ take care and soon your leg will heal and be running & sledding, making snowmen, throwing snowballs. For now you can write more blogs and play games. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, of course, my computer will go up a lot. - Antonin

      Delete
  3. Excellent post, Antonin.
    If you’re going to break a leg, do it when you’re young enough to get a stuffie out of the deal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you got hurt! I’m so happy you are well taken care of! (Mom’s friend Cynthia

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment