Skip to main content

This Wild Willing: Take Two

Hello and welcome to another wacky weather Saturday. Today is March 16th.

Okay, folks, I am recovering from the kind of scare that makes knitters scream when they drop a stitch.

I had my entire blog post finished on Friday by 11:00 a.m. At 9:15 p.m., I went into the post to add the W.A.K.W.I.R.'s contribution and somehow I managed to delete it all.

The whole post.

I'm grief stricken.

After uttering, not quietly, an expletive, the toddler climbed into my lap and said, "That's okay. You still have me!"

I sincerely apologize, but this week I'm going to give you the Reader's Digest version of my post instead of trying to recreate all that writerly wit I poured a good two hours into.

So, here it is:

The Wannaskan Almanac Reader's Digest version of my original March 16 post

Happy St. Patrick's Day a day early! I'm covering this holiday greeting in case the Chairman doesn't recover from his festive evening in time to post his Sunday squibs. :)

A year ago, on St. Patrick's Day, hubby and I attended a concert of Irish singer Glen Hansard. It was the bomb. He has a new album out, This Wild Willing. I can't wait. The cover of this LP even has Czech writing on it!

Our view at the concert

Album with Czech scribbles, "Around 8 sing til 9 in the
evening, evening singing of the black bird.


Wasn't this last week's weather crazy? Like everyone else in the area, we hunkered down for the cyclone of the century, only to be surprised by the anti-climatic snowfall.

After "making" my kids go outside to enjoy all this snow, I had one of my "kids these days" crotchety moments. So I took a poll on Facebook:

I'm taking a poll. If you have kids and they went outside today of their own will, like with a ♥️. If you had to suggest it and then they went outside, like with a 👍. If you have to beg your kids to play outside today and they refuse, like with 😡 or 😢. If the thought of getting your kids to play outside is so ludicrously impossible, like with a 😂. Thanks!

The results are in: 25 hearts, 20 thumbs up, 2 laughs and 1 angry face. So, the next time I think that "kids these days" don't like to go outside anymore, I will remember the findings of my (very unscientific) research. And keep "making" the kids go outside. (P.S. They loved it.)

Kids' Corner

Saturday morning revival


Hello! The WAKWIR is back and I just want to tell you fans, that at the state competition my team did not do so well. But, don’t get sad! At least you can be happy that my team made it to state! And, I hope it might inspire some people out there, to have a lego league team so Minnesota can have the most First Lego League Teams in the US! But, this year’s season ends.
Hope you play some Minecraft,

David

On This Day

Historic Highlights (credits)

1988 - A poison gas attack kills 5000 civilians in the Kurdish town of Halabjah
The war crime was in all likelihood executed on the orders of Iraqi despot Saddam Hussein.

1988 - In Northern Ireland, an Ulster loyalist kills 3 people at a Provisional IRA funeral
Michael Stone was later convicted of the Milltown Cemetary attack, which was filmed by news crews.

1968 - U.S. troops massacre hundreds of unarmed civilians in Vietnam
The 504 victims of the My Lai Massacre included many children and infants.

1960 - Alfred Hitchcock's movie Psycho is premiered
The film starring Anthony Perkins and Janet Leigh is an all-time classic of the suspense movie genre.

1926 - Robert Goddard launches the first liquid-fuel rocket
The idea for this revolutionary rocket engine first appeared in a book by Russian scientist Konstantin Tsiolkovsky.

Happy Birthday to You!🎶 

1986 - Daisuke Takahashi, Japanese figure skater

1954 - Nancy Wilson, American singer-songwriter, guitarist, producer, actress

1953 - Richard Stallman, American computer programmer

1917 - Samael Aun Weor, Colombian author

1912 - Pat Nixon, American educator, 39th First Lady of the United States

Remembering You

2008 - Bill Brown, Australian cricketer

2006 - Minnie Pwerle, Australian painter

2003 - Rachel Corrie, American activist

1983 - Arthur Godfrey, American radio, television host

37 - Tiberius, Roman emperor


Remember to always save your files. Then back them up and make it a great Saturday!

Kim




Comments

  1. How Minnesotan of you to call 8 inches of snow "anticlimactic," but I know what you mean. We did get a couple of extra gallons of milk and some dog food - our idea of stocking up. I must admit we were underwhelmed vs. the forecast "cyclone." On the other hand, the Forest road had never been worse (shhh, could still prove me wrong) - even with my 2011 Silverado in 4-low, it was dicey getting through to the first county road. Right, no plowing until Tuesday. Oh the adventures we have in Northwest MN. But I digress. Found your survey enlightening. In my youth, my mother would just literally throw us out the door, bundled up so tightly that if we stood still in the snowfall, we looked like a couple of stationary snowmen. Sorry to hear that WAKWIR's endeavors didn't go as well as hoped. And even more sorry that you deleted your post! You recovered quite well. JP Savage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love getting your forest road updates. Makes me feel so cushy here in civilization, only 2 miles out. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment