Skip to main content

All This

Little did I know, back in 1954, as I sat, pencil poised, in Sister Michael Marie's first-grade class, that practicing my name, Virginia Mary Langton, over and over in the Palmer Method would become a gateway for my life's calling. 

No, I am not a calligrapher. I have no fine motor skills, and my handwriting is terrible. It's just that everyone called me Ginny before I started school. The second of four at the time (eventually, we would be six), I was the wiggle alongside my older sister's steady gait. Beth would relegate me to the wall side of the beds we made together, point menacingly at my bony wisp of a body, and sing-song taunt me with the refrain, "Skinny Ginny! Skinny Ginny!" Activating my easy penchant for joy was a sure way to get through chores. I wonder if the beds ever got made well, but we had a good time.

Indoors or out, fun was my middle name and top priority. I was the first to jump onto our backyard swing and touch my foot on the bottom of a second-floor porch. That would be me hollering at earthbound friends to join me at the top of a tree. And that was my limber back arched into backbends, me twirling across the lawn in cartwheels and making my monkey way across the top of the playground bars. Officially named Virginia Mary Langton, I knew myself only as Ginny, and the light, upbeat moniker suited me: the playful giggler. This energetic playmate was always eager to have a good time. 


That is, until first grade, when I had to face a sober reality. Not only were nicknames not allowed at St. Charles Parochial School in Waltham, Massachusetts, but there was a muffled air of disapproval for the playfulness they suggest. Because 52 desks bobbed in the ocean of our classroom, it’s no wonder that school policies opposed anything threatening what was, at best, a tenuous order. This pervasive tone of rigidity was a blow for me, the sprite, who now had to sit still. Even worse was that I had to answer to the stern-sounding, unfamiliar, multisyllabic name Virgina. No wonder I shed tears in the morning before going off to school.

Attention to my surname, Langton, is another story. When Monsignor McCarthy came into our classroom every quarter to distribute report cards, he added intrigue to who I was. "Langton," he would repeat as I walked up to take my card. "You know, Virginia, you are related to a famous man in history. Your distant uncle was the famous archbishop of Canterbury, Stephen Langton." His kind smile suggested that I should be proud, and, bless him, he repeated the remark four times a year until I graduated from eighth grade. 


Despite having such an illustrious last name, the genealogical information I have on my lineage does not connect our branch of Langtons to one of the most influential figures in the history of the Magna Carta. No matter. I'd look forward to my priest's glowing approval with every report card. "Yes, father." I'd smilingly agree. Being a Langton distinguished me from the multitudes of Kelly, Sullivan, and O'doyles. 


Monsignor’s unbidden approval did not exempt me from the rigors of learning. The time had come to master penmanship, and unlike my friends Jean and Joan, I always lagged behind. Vir-gin-i-a Lang-ton. With each early attempt, writing out those six syllables seemed unfair. It was such a feat for my little girl's fingers, heart, and mind to travel the length of those unwieldy cursive lines. It was a comfort to find my familiar nickname embedded within, but still. I didn't know then how my given name pointed towards my future.


Eventually, that playful nature of mine took over, and writing my name became an amusement park ride. I was thrilled by the dramatic swirling drop of the capital letter V, the deep valley I entered before I began my trek across the up-down mountain range of letters i, r, and n. Tackling the underground complexity of the lowercase g was a trick I got to accomplish twice, showing up as it did in both my first and last names. I loved that my new friend Trickster G shifted deftly from soft to hard sounds in each instance. The ride across the lyrical lines of my last name's capital L and the friendly curves of lowercase a and o felt like fun kiddy rides. What had at first seemed like such strenuous writing began to compete with jumping rope, bouncing balls, and running around the playground with my friends. 


In retrospect, following the cursive lines of my name activated the power of my imagination, intuitive gifts, and an innate capacity to follow the subtleties of internal narratives. Penmanship practice became a tactile initiation into an animistic world of unconscious forces, feelings, expectations, and fantasies. And, as life marches on for all of us, don’t forces, feelings, and expectations tend to move more squarely onto center stage?


First-grade me knew that my dad wore a blue collar to work, and I loved my visits to the station where I could put on his hat and shimmy up and down the skinny fire pole. I had no idea, however, where that blue-collar placed our family in the larger world. I had yet to explore the contexts used by sociologists, ethnologists, and psychologists to explain the shame-based nature of cultures and how that translated into everyday behaviors. Behaviors that blind people to their essential worth and result in flash angry rages or silent tensions that crackle. I didn't know how people protect themselves from cultural, psychological, and emotional pain. But, like many, I skittered through my inner landscape riddled with anxiety.


For me, psychotherapy became the vehicle that got me through. Over the years, countless deep-down experiences with my therapist freed me to encounter all sorts of unconscious forces and feelings safely. Conversations that uncovered and then eased the ragged and prolonged propensity I had toward anxiety and depression. My early grapplings with writing my lengthy name revealed my patience to stay the course amid complex challenges and dwell in the richness of an inner world. A world that invited me to more of me through the psychotherapeutic process. Ultimately, my enthusiasm for therapy as a vehicle for growth and healing led me to my life's calling, and I became a psychotherapist myself.


As a kid, I had no idea that my patience with the up-down process of writing my unwieldy name would reflect my capacity to drop below the obvious into the rich complexity of the unconscious. I wouldn’t characterize my profession as fun. Still, it’s always a unique privilege and pleasure to accompany folks toward greater well-being - all this and more from learning to write my name.



V-i-r-g-i-n-i-a

















Comments

  1. Our 4-year old granddaughter’s name is Virginia Lanae. She’s named after my late sister, Virginia Mae; and her father’s sister, Lanae.
    Her nickname is indeed ‘Ginny,' and like her elder namesake, does mirror you in a good many respects including being a highly intelligent spitfire. I do wonder if she’ll face disciplinary issues in school as she ages, but dealing with such issues have changed drastically since either you or I attended, and with the help of therapy in some beneficial form she’ll do alright. Coincidentally, her grandmother is in the mental health field.
    Handwriting was drilled into me in my trade school/high school called Des Moines Technical, back in the sixties; I was in the Commercial Arts core area. This was before CAD and computers to any great extent, so everything drafted/lettered on paper i.e., architecture/signage was done by hand. This semester-long discipline separated the kids who thought ‘art’ would be an easy A, and those who took it seriously. My handwriting (a combination of cursive and block-printing) became second to none for most of my life, until recent years when I developed occasional tremors in my writing hand and eliminated that claim to fame. Alas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I identify mightily with the early school days in one way and not so much in another. First, the "not." Although I was born a "sprite," like you, an Irish Catholic mother and a Syrian patriarch father, managed to tone down the rebel in me - at least until high school. So, I was the model "good-little girl for my very early years. My I do identify with is learning to write. Since as early as I have memories, every Sunday after church, Dad would read the comics to me. I was fascinated by the squiggles and lines and wanted to know how they became the words he was speaking. BTW, my favorite strips were Prince Valiant and Beetle Bailey. Now on to the school years. On the first day of school, Sister Earnest held up a large piece of construction paper on which she had written in bold letters G O D with yellow rays of sunlight blazing all around it. She explained the religious concept first in first-grade terms; next she explained what letters were and what they had to do with all those squiggles and lines. I was hooked and never looked back. I was in love - in love with letters and words. . . and the rest is history - stories for another time . . . except for one thing - the failure to master penmanship which remains true to the present day. Although I always got straight A's in every other subject, I couldn't change that one "C" next to penmanship. Maybe I should have been a medical doctor. My saving grace was eventually a creaky Underwood typewriter that I later turned in for an IBM Selectric, followed by a huge IBM PC, and so on to my present laptop. But I refuse to own a smartphone even if when fired up had G-O-D blazing on its screen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in a leftist group that was kept after school for several weeks till we mastered the Palmer Method. A pox on Mr Palmer, whoever he is.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment