Skip to main content

Wannaskan Almanac for Tuesday, January 9, 2024...A Three Hour Tour

I like ice fishing.  

But I also like to be confident in the ice conditions.  

This year I looked at the ice and decided it wasn't worth the risk.  Some did go out on the ice, and there has even been one tragic ending already.  Others have had to be rescued.  

Doesn't look very safe yet!


Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale,
A tale of a fateful trip
That started on a frosty morn
On ice not very thick

The first out was a desperate fisherman,
To catch a limit he was sure.
At five he set out in the dark
For a three hour tour, a three hour tour.

The ice it seemed just thick enough,
To hold his side by side,
The cracking noises were scary loud
But he would not be denied.

The ice broke away from the shore creating a floating icy isle
With Fishermen
Their ice houses too,
Frozen saugers, perch, and walleye,
On a moving floe
Their equipment and popup tents,
Here on Upper Red Lake Isle.

Instead of fishing this Christmas break I took up a new hobby...sulking.  It isn't quite as relaxing as ice fishing, but I have gotten very good at it in only a short while.  If you are having fishing withdrawals, I invite you to join me.  Together we can make a bad situation much worse, but at least we will be warm and safe!



Comments


  1. I sulked in my sulky
    It felt pretty good
    I thought to stay dry
    But got caught in a flood

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had learned this long ago, from my stepson John who lives at Red Cliff Ojibwe Reservation in NW Wisconsin right up against gichigami (Lake Superior), I asked him, "How do the Anishinaabeg know when the ice is safe on the lakes?" And he answered, stoically, "When the giche-mookomaanag quit falling through, eh."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment