Skip to main content

Hockey Day Minnesota Comes to Wannaska!

Hello and welcome to a foggy yet cheerful day here at the Wannaskan Almanac. Today is January 27th and the LAST DAY of Hockey Day Minnesota 2024!

The big news on this side of Wannaskaland is Warroad hosting Hockey Day Minnesota. Taking a page from Canada's Hockey Day playbook, Hockey Day Minnesota started in 2007 and was organized by Minnesota Wild, Fox Sports North (now Bally Sports North), Minnesota Hockey, and a rotating local host community. Baudette, our neighbors to the east in Lake of the Woods County, were the very first hosts in both 2007 and 2008. 

"Hockey Day Minnesota was an immediate success from year one, quickly becoming a day for generations of Minnesotans from all corners of The State of Hockey to connect and celebrate the sport that means so much to so many. Wayne Petersen, Director of Community Relations and Hockey Partnerships for the Minnesota Wild, was on the original Hockey Day Minnesota committee and has been one of the key figures in the success of Hockey Day, said '...What began in 2007 as a one-day event featuring two high school games has grown into a four- or five-day event featuring numerous girls and boys high school games. Some host communities have also featured a men’s or women’s college game.” said Petersen. “Additionally, Hockey Day Minnesota is much more than an ice rink and hockey games. It now features a Hockey Day Village, which includes live entertainment, video boards, food trucks, fire pits, merchandise sales, entertainment tents and more.'" (Source)

I've written enough articles about Warroad history in general, its hockey history in particular, and the area's hockey Olympians to know that there's no better place to host #HDM2024 than the original Hockeytown, USA. No doubt, the Warroad community has brought their A-game to be the best host it can be. Our family had a chance to scope it out on Wednesday before the big opening. Here's the 3rd Grader's take on our sneak peek before the big event.

When we got there Wednesday, at first we couldn't find the entrance. It took us like two minutes until someone told us where the entrance was. We went inside and there was a sledding hill made by Northern Toboggan. I saw my friends. I realized I didn't have my sled, so what did I do? I rolled down the hill! It was short but fun. (Mom note: The hill was decorated with trees and included a staircase supported with wooden steps to prevent slipping. The kids took to it right away. A real hit!)

After the sledding hill, I wandered off to find my mom, but to my surprise, I found one of my other friends. We looked for my family together. We couldn't find them so instead we went on the mini Riverbend which is a skating loop with an arch. Under it there was really slippery ice and we pushed each other til we fell. It was really fun. (Mom note: The arch resembled the first Memorial Arena built in Warroad.)

Then we went looking for my mom again. We found her in the stands with my sister. We went back to the mini Riverbend. Instead of playing on the Riverbend, we went to a mini-ice rink that anyone could be on. Me, my friend, and this random 2nd grader played tag on the ice rink and it was really fun.

After the first period of the Girls 10U game, my mom got food for us from a food truck. I ordered chicken strips with fries, my sister ordered a corn dog, and my mom ordered cheese curds. I really liked the chicken strips. The fries, not so much. Did you know that the normal human amount of fries eating is 6 pieces? I learned this from a video.

After we got our food, we all went to the stands to watch the hockey game. Our neighbor was on the team and we cheered her and the team on. My friend wanted to ask her parents for something, so I came with. We went to her parents on the other side of the rink and the parents didn't have what she wanted - a tissue - so we looked around for one and she ended up using a napkin.

While my mom and sister finished watching the hockey game, my friend and I went back to the Riverbend, and that's when I saw another one of my friends! We chatted for a little bit, then she left to hang out with her other friends.

My mom came and told me we had to go. But before we left we went into the Hockeytown lodge and my mom got me a pair of Warroad Warrior mittens. And you're not going to believe how much they cost - $40! (Mom note: Yes, BUT...it also is a fundraiser for the Warroad Indian Education program.)

Overall, the Village was fun. I liked that there was the mini Riverbend and mini-ice rink. Other cool things that my mom liked were the plastic igloos that you could sit in, the firepits, outdoor music, and all the people out enjoying the event!

Our family gives this event an A++ for the fun factor and the gorgeous layout of the Village. The twinkle lights and large photo displays of Hockeytown USA's history and memorable figures made me feel especially connected to this place and community.

Make it a great Saturday and check it out!





Comments

Post a Comment