Skip to main content

gichi-manidoo-giizis (January) Great Spirit Moon Thursday 18, 2024

 An Excerpt From 54 Years of Writing

 'Conversely'

 One sultry July 4th, in 1975, I was dreamin' of Minnesota days just like we're having now, what I would've given for minus 49 below windchill ...

    A few short years ago, I never would have imagined I would spend an entire day inside the house voluntarily without being ill, as an escape from the heat. Today it's 90+ degrees; pollution hangs low in the skies, and with it a warning to all those with heart or respiratory ailments to stay inside as much as possible. It sounds like radiation or fall out warnings; something alien, almost scary.

   The heat has had me down for weeks. I've dreamed of freak winter storms and blizzards -- what relief! My energy has been zapped and the heat drains what little energy I do store up very, very slowly.

   My body sweats quickly. I could perspire in a good breeze. My shirts and pants darken in color as they absorb all my sweat. The nights seldom cool down now -- and cool morning breezes are about as common as freak winter storms in July.

   And of course, with the sweltering heat comes swarms of mosquitos -- the undefeated summer pests (until the Asian Beetles 30-years later) which about concludes the list of what I don't like about 'the good ol' summer time.'

   I prefer the good ol' fall and wintertime; even spring can go jump in the proverbial lake. It seems that you can just about do anything in the winter to keep warm -- and not much of nothin' to keep cool in the summer. UGH!

  I feel like pukin'.


Comments

  1. A report such as this from the mid-70s foreshadows our current warming trends. I wish you icicles 'scaping down your nose!

    ReplyDelete

  2. Summers in the Yukon, winters in Chile

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment