Skip to main content

Our Czech Adventures!

Hello and welcome to a hezký Czech Saturday here at the Wannaskan Almanac. Today is July 8th.

Vitáme vás v České republiky! We are one week into our Czech summer vacation. I've got Antonin and Lucie here to tell you all about it. 

First of all, Czech Republic is really old. It is thousands upon thousands upon thousands of centuries old. We just celebrated a national holiday "Saint Cyril and Methodius Day." We went to Velehrad, the third largest church in Czech Republic. On Tuesday, we went to a little play show where people dressed up in costumes. They danced, sang, and talked. They were called Čiperkové

There were games there and what did we do with the games? We played them incorrectly. For example, there was this ball game where you throw balls into little holes. Instead of me throwing them, I just put them in the holes without even throwing them. There was also this slingshot-puck game. (We don't know what it was called.) The game was simple. You had a puck. There was a rope. You put your finger on the puck. You pulled your finger back, let go, and it would slingshot.

It reminded me of another game. There was this basketball table. It was mini and there were little handle thingies and there was a puck and you had to whack the little things at the puck. This was a two-player game like the other one. I liked all the games. They were fun.¨

One of the games was impossible. We had these shapes and we were supposed to arrange them into a square. I tried multiple times, but I couldn't solve it. Only one person could and I was really impressed. 

We stayed until the evening and listened to a beautiful live concert

Yeah, it was a beautiful live concert but we had to leave early. Why did we have to leave early? My little Antonin brain didn't know why.

It was because we wanted to beat the traffic. To get to Velehrad, we had to park somewhere else and take a bus. There were a lot of people. Because we were coming back to Velehrad the next day, we wanted to get home as soon as possible.

On Wednesday, we went back to Velehrad to celebrate a special mass. A Vatican ambassador was present along with 30,000 visitors!

Also in Czechia (but not in Velehrad), my mom found a dead bumblebee. Me and my mom call it a "specimen." She gave the bumblebee to me. I named the bumblebee Barry. And I found a dead moth specimen. My mom let me keep it. I named the moth Mary. Lucie is really afraid of Mary and Barry because she doesn't like insects. (What was this blog post about again?)

What are your favorite things about Czech Republic so far?

Czech Republic. Oh, yeah...My favorite things about Czech Republic so far is that when me and Lucie are in the car, we look for yellow cars and orange cars. Whenever we see one, we nudge each other with our elbows. They are not as common as normal cars. So, yeah, that's one of my favorite things. We also went on Thursday to this playground and there was this 3-D octagon that we could climb on. You were supposed to climb on the outside of it because it was hollow. But instead, I thought, "What would happen if I climbed to the top of the inside of the octagon?" So, I did it and I felt like my feet couldn't get back to the ropes, but then they did. Then I climbed down. Then I climbed back up! When I got to the top I dropped back down.

My favorite part of today was taking a boat ride down the Morava River on a pontoon called "Šopa."

That was one of my favorites too.  And I steered the boat as well.

Sorry to be short on details, but we have to get to bed now and head out for another adventure! (Lucie already went to bed!)

Until next week!



Comments

  1. Wow, such wonderful adventures! Keep writing and letting us know what is happening. I like the name Barry the bee and Mary the moth, great name choices and they rhyme. Tell your parents Hello from us. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was there only one steering wheel on the boat?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is Paul. Captain Antonin at the wheel. Steady as she goes Skipper and just keep her off the rocks. The “Mad Captain”? Luci seems relaxed about the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only one steering wheel and the crew took turns. All were fortified with ice cream and NA beer-grapfefruit juice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! Had to log into my account 🤣 That is my comment above!

      Delete
  5. You are such an awesome storyteller, Antonio! Keep sharing your adventures

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment