Skip to main content

Torsgad september 29, 2022

 

Wednesdays Are For Witticisms


    “You look just like that African Queen guy ...,” the wife said laughing, presumably at me. "You know, ... what's his name?"

    We were just sitting down to lunch yesterday; me having just come in from a project I had been working on outdoors. I hadn’t worn a cap to the table forever ....

    “Humphrey Bogart?” I queried, cutting my Johnsonville New Orleans Style smoked sausage sandwich diagonally, wondering from where in the world her idea had sprung (a common occurrence).

    We eat different things, this woman who I’ve been married to since the last subzero afternoon of 2008. So it is these past several months I’ve begun fixing my own meals for the most part, and she hers; joining one another at the dining room table to dine together, chitchat, laugh, and, especially in the mornings play a game or two of cards or other entertaining activity, (Indian leg wrestling no longer an option since I got such a knot on my forehead the last time. Didn’t see that coming.)

    “So what about Bogie?” I reminded her, seeing as she was the one that brought his name up and inferred I could be closely related, judging by my interesting choice of apparel that day.

    “Y-your’re wearing that ... that cap,” she said with a peculiar expression on her face. “And that sweatshirt with the paint on it ... like that.”

    "And that bandana! Ha!" She pointed her spoon at me to pinpoint her point, pointedly, adding with emphasis, “You look just like him.”

    “What? Impossible!" I said, sitting down, giving my appearance the once over and not seeing it. "I love you anyway."

"Here's looking at you kidder."


Comments

  1. As a public service, and for insight into the highjinks that unfold in WannaskaWriter's home, here's a short video demonstration of Indian Leg Wrestling. We'll have to ask Ozaawaa about other antics; or maybe he'd like to contribute below with his own experiences...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the best one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XkJd4YyfwM. Ojibwe too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment