Skip to main content

Nanowrimo: A Writing Call to Action

Hello and welcome to a Homecoming (#HOCO) Saturday here at the Wannaskan Almanac. Today is September 24th.

I’d like to kick off today’s blog post with a big THANK YOU to all of the readers who tuned in last Saturday to read The 5th Grader’s blogging debut. Parental pride is one thing, but an even better pride is that which was felt by the kid writer herself. She took to heart the readers’ comments received on the blog and on social media. The ten bucks cash was a nice little “gold star” too. She may even have said, “Pleasure doing business with you.”

Today is the last Saturday of September making October 1st land on next Saturday which means if you’re someone who likes to write – or even if you’re someone who likes to think about writing and you find yourself “never” writing, but people tell you that you write the best emails and Christmas cards – it’s time to think about Nanowrimo.

What is Nanowrimo?

NaNoWriMo is shorthand for National Novel Writing Month. (This helpful moniker reminds me of a joke: “How did Canada get its name? They put all of the letters of the alphabet into a bag and decided that whatever letters came out would spell the name. So they pulled them out one at a time and what did they get? C, eh? N, eh? D, eh?)

Anywho, Nanowrimo (note the disappearance of all those capital letters, eh) is the brainchild of Chris Baty, who founded the program in 1999 with a group of 21 writers in the San Francisco Bay area. He thought it would be super fun, not to mention super helpful, to get all of the super writers out in the world over the super hump of actually putting "butt in chair" to write a novel during the month of November.

How long is a novel?

Well, it varies depending on the genre, but the agreed-upon word count goal is 50,000 words. You don't have to reach "The End" by 50k words, though. By all means, keep going if there's more to the story!

But November only has 30 days!

True. But, there is the American Thanksgiving which buys you extra time and Halloween (October) and New Year’s Eve (December) are holidays meant for merrymaking, not “butt in chair” activities.

I love Nanowrimo. I’m grateful for Nanowrimo. This crazy month of committing to writing 50,000 words is what got my butt in the chair to bang out the first 50k words of Elevator Girl. Once over that super daunting hump, I’d come far enough to know how the book would end. I pledged to my book club to finish it – and I did.

My second attempt at Nanowrimo was an epic, yet hugely informative, fail in which I bailed at 25,000 words realizing that winging it through this particular writing project was not the best course of action.

My third attempt at Nanowrimo was a win – I made it to 50,000 words! – but also a useful, albeit painful, lesson because it also showed me that I’d just written 50,000 words of backstory and that the actual story I wanted to tell hadn’t even started yet.

Now, this might be making you feel dubious, and perhaps I’ve dug a hole for myself that I won’t be able to crawl out of, but hear me out: Nanowrimo is hugely awesome for 4 reasons.

1. It actually gets you writing. – The singular goal of committing oneself to writing a novel in one month is word count. This is a numbers game, folks. We’re talking quantity; not quality. Break 50,000 words down to a daily writing goal of 1,666 words a day. This blog post is just over 1,000 words and I wrote it in about an hour. Not all days are going to be this smooth, of course, but this gives you an idea of how much you could write in an hour.

2. It doesn’t have to be good. – I can’t emphasize this enough. You could write “blah, blah, blah” 555.3333 times and you would reach 1,666 words for the day, and it would count. Of course, that sort of nips at the spirit of Nanowrimo, so I wouldn’t recommend making it a habit, but I have written things like: “Oh, something here, I have no idea. What does Bill like anyway?” until a thought tied back to the plot, theme, or character emerges - and I learn what Bill likes - and I can resume the storytelling. I often tell people stuck in first drafts (and second and third…): It doesn’t have to be good, it just has to exist.

3. It gets you over the hump. – The fear of writing (despite it being something you might actually love) chokes creative bodies far, far too often. There’s so much good creative energy flowing through the universe. Nanowrimo helps people feel that flow and ride it over the fear of perfection or whatever it is you're feeling afraid of. Once I’ve climbed that hill of terror, I’ve discovered a glorious world beyond where I find clarity and creativity - and best of all, it's all downhill. My brain clicks into a new gear. I get lots of scene ideas. I scribble them all down, then mind map and play with how they might connect to each other. I find characters with more depth and personality than I initially gave them credit for. I see threads of theme emerge that I can start to intentionally braid into a pretty French braid. Heck, even a chunky, unflattering twisty attempt is the groundwork for doing better next time! I feel the exhilaration of creation. I actually have fun.

4. There’s a whole lotta Nano love. – You don’t have to go it alone. (Although you certainly can.) Since its inception, the Nanowrimo community has exploded into a global network of writerly peeps making a go of it. There’s a beautiful sense of camaraderie of all being in it together that you can immerse yourself in, or merely tap the waters with your toe. This sense of togetherness contributes to that cosmic flow I mentioned in Reason #3. There’s swag, chat groups, and inspirational messages penned by some of the world’s favorite authors. The point is this: You are not alone.

I’ve learned a lot about myself and writing from Nanowrimo. I learned that writing both terrifies and thrills me. And that’s okay. I learned that while my natural tendency is to be a “pantser” – someone who writes by the seat of their pants – I also gained a few tricks from the plotters – someone who plans before they write - that have made my writing better. By sticking with the writing long enough, I’ve learned how to take flat, stereotypical characters and breathe life into them, making them more dynamic, more lifelike, and definitely more flawed. I’ve learned that fear is just a bogeyman, and when I actually peek under the bed, there’s nothing there. I’ve learned to fail – and to carry that learning forward. I’ve learned to keep writing.

So, why am I telling you all of this on the cusp of October instead of November?

Because I know writers. Some are gung-ho types but most of you need a month to think about it.

If you had a whole month to write a story, what would you write?

If you were to give yourself the gift of time to write for one month and just see what happens, how might you (re)structure your days and weeks?

If it's fear that's got you spooked far more than any Halloween goblins, might I suggest you read Big Magic: Creating Living Beyond Fear by Elizabeth Gilbert? She says, yes, Fear may join you on your ride through creativity, but Fear has to sit in the backseat, and for goodness sake, DO NOT give it the map.

And by all means, sign up at Nanowrimo.org so you can find your people and get the cool dashboard that tracks your progress so at the end of the month when you reach your 50,000 words you get the virtual certificates and badges to celebrate your big accomplishment!

On This Day

Historic Highlights (credits)

1973 - Guinea-Bissau gains independence
Guinea-Bissau declared its independence from Portugal. The declaration was recognized almost a year later on September 10, 1974.

1957 - Camp Nou, a stadium that seats over 99,000, opens its doors to football fans
Situated in Barcelona, Spain, it is the largest stadium in Europe and the 11th largest in the world.

1948 - Honda Motor Company is founded by Soichiro Honda
The automobile manufacturer is also the world's largest producer of motorcycles.

1869 - Black Friday in the United States
A group of speculators headed by James Fisk and Jay Gould started hoarding gold, which led to high gold prices. The US Treasury under the orders of President Ulysses S. Grant sold a large amount of gold leading to a plummet in gold prices within the span of minutes.

1789 - US Congress Adopts the Judiciary Act of 1789
The act was passed by the first Congress of the United States. It created the US federal judiciary including the Supreme Court.

Happy Birthday to You!🎶 


1981 - Ryan Briscoe, Australian race car driver

1936 - Jim Henson, American puppeteer, director, producer, founded The Company

1896 - F. Scott Fitzgerald, American author

1755 - John Marshall, American jurist, 4th Chief Justice of the United States

1714 - Alaungpaya, Burmese king

Remembering You

1991 - Dr. Seuss, American author, poet, illustrator

1834 - Pedro I of Brazil

1621 - Jan Karol Chodkiewicz, Polish military commander

1435 - Isabeau of Bavaria

1180 - Manuel I Komnenos, Byzantine Emperor


Be creative, be curious, and make it a great Saturday!

Kim  


Image Source


Comments

  1. I wrote a 50,000 word manuscript in 2005 or so, I'm thinking. I sat here, plinking away with a couple fingers on my right hand and a couple on my left on my Mac over the course of about a week or so, (probably longer as I had a lot to say). I sent the original copy off to the Catholic Diocese in Crookston upon their request; and from whom I later received a rejection slip of all things given, the whole endeavor was deemed unnecessary upon acknowledgement of an important action, by another party, making it null and void. Who knew? Still, I think, it was an academic achievement on my part.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment