Skip to main content

Wannaskan Almanac for Tuesday, September 27, 2022 What's Your Angle?

A couple of Fridays ago I decided to do something nice for the people at the school where I work.  I am kind of a barista...or is it a baristo for guys...which is just a fancy way of saying I can make up some coffee drinks.  I have a pretty good recipe for making a blended iced salted caramel Frappuccino.  That really makes me sound sophisticated.  All I do is mix milk, ice, salted caramel syrup, cold brew coffee, and french vanilla cappuccino powder together.  I can't tell you the exact amount of each because it changes every time I make it.  
So I sent out an email on a Thursday inviting all 160 employees in my building to come down Friday morning for a free iced coffee.  I knew that not all 160 would show up, but just to be safe I added in that it was first come first served and that supplies were limited.  All together about 15 people stopped by on Friday morning.  As a professional conspiracy theorist, I spent the rest of the day trying to figure out why so many didn't come down.  
Cool, refreshing, and chock full of calories

The first thing that I decided was that a good percentage of the 145 or so people who did not show up probably didn't check their email.  I put all the other sure fire obvious conspiracies below:

25--Didn't check their emails
15--Automatically delete all emails from me 
20--On a diet
5--Forgot about it after a good night's sleep
20--Afraid that I was recruiting them into Amway
15--Afraid that I was going to tell them about Jesus
8--Gluten intolerant
1--Lactose intolerant
1--Baristo intolerant
15--Don't like coffee drinks (I don't associate with this kind of people)
10--Got lost looking for the commons
10--Thought that I was going to charge them even though it said free

To be honest, I think most people didn't check their emails or just didn't want coffee.  But then again, there are a lot of suspicious people out there.  Whenever they see something for "free" their first thought is "What's your angle?"  I have to confess I did have an angle.  I just wanted people to know that they are appreciated and valued.  I suppose that might turn some people off.  As the great Sara says, it is what it is.  




Comments