Skip to main content

WAKWIR: I Am The Walrus

It's that time...Blog time! Now, it's been a while since I’ve posted and a lot has changed. Probably the biggest thing was that my easy school trimester ended. Now I have a really hard one. I have many more core classes this trimester and one really hard elective: Public Speaking. I’m not going to go into much detail about the class, but it’s a lot of work. Another thing that has happened is that in robotics I learned the very basics of drawing on Autodesk Inventor. Since I don’t have Metal Tech anymore, robotics is my current go-to place for the engineering aspect of my life so far. 

On the topic of school subjects, I had mentioned that my core classes in school got a bit harder. I had my fair share of struggles in Geometry and Physical Science, so hopefully, I keep up to date with my work. (During distance learning I fell behind a lot.) So far those classes are going pretty smoothly, but I’m only two weeks into the trimester, so a lot can change. Now that I’m thinking about it, I don’t think I really touched on the subject of the end of the second trimester. I think I finished relatively strong, with a few hiccups here and there, but other than that I think I did well.  

Another thing that has been changing is the weather. In just a span of two weeks, our yard has gone from being covered in a 1-foot layer of snow to having a yard filled with just grass and just a handful of ice littering the yard. In fact, today I’ll be setting up our trampoline with my dad, so I’ll be able to practice doing flips again soon. Setting up the trampoline also corresponds very well with my planned birthday party (with carefully chosen friends regarding covid), which means we'll be able to be outside as much as possible (also planned regarding covid) while still having lots of fun. 

As an update to my video game life, I’ve been playing an increased amount of Flower, Journey (my favorite game), and Borderlands 2. I haven’t been playing much Minecraft lately, mainly because I don’t really have a reason to play it. I really like the game, but there’s only so much you can do in the game with a limited amount of time. A few days ago, I bought and downloaded a game called Castle Crashers, which is a 2D hack-and-slash kind of game. I’ve never played it, but it has music I really like, so I thought I would give it a try. And I get to play it with some of my friends, too.

I might have mentioned it the last time I posted but I’ve decided to spend significantly less time on my phone. And since then, I actually found myself reading a lot of books. I haven’t been able to read as much this week as I had intended since I had a dramatic increase of work but, so far, I have re-read a whole series I had been planning to re-read two years ago. 

Other than that, nothing much else has been happening. This post was one of those “filler episodes” in the life of the WAKWIR (Wannaskan Almanac Kid Writer-in-Residence) with no major events, just many minor ones. In one week I turn fifteen, so time all of a sudden slows down (it's just me that feels that way), so that’s probably the biggest thing I’m excited for currently.

Happy late St. Patrick's Day, and farewell,

David

P.S. The story about how John Lennon wrote “I am the Walrus” is a very interesting one.   :)

On This Day

Historic Highlights (credits)

2003 - The United States invades Iraq, assisted by the United Kingdom, Australia, and Poland
The Iraq War, which was termed illegal by then UN Secretary, Kofi Annan, caused hundreds of thousands of Iraqi deaths.

1995 - Japanese terrorists release poisonous gas in the Tokyo subway
Twelve people died and thousands are wounded after members of the religious cult, Aum Shinrikyo, had placed containers leaking sarin on five different trains.

1969 - John Lennon and Yoko Ono marry
After the wedding in Gibraltar, the artists spent their honeymoon in Amsterdam with a Bed-In for Peace, which lasted a whole week.

1916 -Albert Einstein presents his general theory of relativity
The revolutionary theory describes the interdependency of matter on the one hand and space and time on the other. It is one of the most influential theories in Physics.

1852 - Harriet Beecher Stowe publishes her novel Uncle Tom's Cabin
The anti-slavery story played an important role in setting the scene for the American Civil War.


Happy Birthday to You!🎶 

1984 - Fernando Torres, Spanish footballer

1959 - Sting, American wrestler

1957 -Spike Lee, American actor, director, screenwriter, producer

1939 - Brian Mulroney, Canadian politician 18th Prime Minister of Canada

1828 - Henrik Ibsen, Norwegian poet, playwright, director

Remembering You

2004 - Juliana of the Netherlands

1925 - George Curzon, 1st Marquess Curzon of Kedleston, English politician, Governor-General of India

1897 - Apollon Maykov, Russian poet

1793 - William Murray, 1st Earl of Mansfield, Scottish judge, politician

1726 - Isaac Newton, English physicist, mathematician, astronomer, philosopher, theologian


Whether the walrus or not make it a great Saturday.

Kim 




Comments

  1. I never realized how much I looked like John Lennon! Well, back in 1969. Yeah, before your mother was born; oh and your dad too, probably. That's how long it's been since any of my hair almost reached my eye brows -- well, that's not exactly true. If I sweep all of what's in back, over my head, so it hangs into my eyes, I can show my grandson how I sort of looked in my high school graduation. He isn't impressed. He just looks at me like I'm a wee bit goofy -- but no more than John and Yoko spending a week in bed 'just because' and making world news for it. Those were the days, my friend . . .

    You have written another delightful blog post for your mom, David. I suspect she's out on another book promo, isn't she? Good for her! Puts more groceries on the table, whatever she writes , , , I did check out, "How I wrote I Am The Walrus" as you suggested. Quite a moving bit of inspirational stuff. that. Deep. Very deep.

    Your decision to not spend so much time on your phone is admirable. I think so many people get wrapped up using them and don't realize the impact it has on them and how it impacts their social interactions -- even before Covid. It is an addiction, (no hard science on this, I admit) but I've seen how it affects some of my own family; children and adults, and I'm glad you've chosen to slow down its use. That's intelligent. Just like you too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment