Skip to main content

29 March 2021 – Bringing Down the Tree

In our far northern borderlands, we do things unimaginable to city dwellers. Even among us, many have never felled a large pine tree. Perhaps these same folks snip at hedges, mow lawns, spread lightweight fertilizer, and plant spring flowers. But how many, even here, have cut down a one hundred-foot, ancient pine tree with such girth that it exceeds a person’s arms circling its trunk? 

We “own” 20 acres in Beltrami Island State Forest which contains 703,382 acres. That total equates to just shy of 1100 square miles. Owning our tiny spot of land and taking down one tree (the subject of my poem today) seems too trifling to mention. But it’s impossible to think so when Forest trails in this magnificent place. If you lived here, you would hear the crackle and roar of the gigantic tree harvesting machines that run nearly every day of the year. If those who harvest are working close enough, the crashing of the trees as they fall is disturbingly audible. Those “in the know” say that chopping down hundreds of acres of trees is “good for the Forest.” They point to their reforestation in the areas that verge on clear-cuts, and say they are replenishing the tree loss. That may be so, but just look at the cornrows of the planting efforts. Those rows may be trees, but their regimentation that replaces a wild forest is like comparing a neat and tidy formal orchestra to a jazz ensemble playing for a happy, raucous crowd.

So, please consider the import of taking down this one tree within our grand Forest as you read the poem I offer herefor your consideration.



Bringing Down the Tree

 

                                    A life laid down

                                                what needed to be done has been done

                                                            one less witness standing

                                                no more wind-breath for this state of being

                                                            one hundred fewer birds in branches

                                                some dozens more dismantling trunk

 

                                                Before the felling, a man with thick strap and ladder 

                                                            a giant’s offenses hostile to the watcher

                                                Belt drawn tight opposes twelve-hundred horses                                                                                                                  

                                                Saw-bites snarling cracking carving wedges

 

                                    Final falling flails moss and lichened bark

                                                a thousand mortal existences leap off the one brought down

                                    Dropping from blue onto white

                                                out of time – ruined in space

                                    Diminishing from honorable upstanding

                                                a sudden death after many wounding tortures 

                                                shattering heartwood in the splitting

                                                slender branches tangling, spiking

                                                            soil like swords sheathing

                                                            dust and sand airborne soaring

slipping needles into ground like shreds of linen

                                                                                    sliding into parchment shrouds

 

                                    From the window, two dogs and I watch the trembling

                                                dropping lesser pieces of itself

                                    Me the monitor of the man’s safety

                                                the most loved one in all 

the world of lost-tree Forests

                                    His eye is clear – his measures precisely taken

                                                measuring in time what needs doing to sever feet

                                                            and lay the body down – a David and his Goliath

                                                            but this David has a pickup, a broad strap,

                                                            a turning saw girded with chains

            

                                    The long-standing tree proves no match for the man

                                                though its wood has sprouted some ninety years 

 

                                    This is the way of things

                                    The way we all will fall

                                                the reaping remembered

                                                            slowly taunting, the machine inches forward

                                                                        halts pulling counter to the giant’s momentary stand

                                    The saw bites again with no remorse or pardon

                                                The last act a fallen

                                                            warrior on a sterile battlefield

                                                                        without shield

                                                                                                legendary

                                                                                                            struck down cold, unburied


Background

It doesn’t take much to see that this poem chronicles an actual event.

Of late, we have taken down dead trees so that the wind or their age doesn’t send them crashing onto the cabin roof. Over the following days, we will take down several live trees, something we have never done before. We almost feel the sacrifice of our home would be preferable to snuffing out so many lives. The reason: “extreme” fire danger that has the earmarks of a long, deadly summer. It seems no one can remember a drier season here in Beltrami Island State Forest. Even the iced rivers are melting in place. The marshes are dry.

Every spring and summer, we harvest dead, fallen trees and split them in late summer and autumn. They will provide our source of heat for the winter. In twenty-two years, we have never felled a living pine, or any other tree. There is a theory that plants have feelings – different than ours – but feelings, nonetheless. If this be true, what might be the actual experience of a tree being cut down? If suffering exists, how is it expressed in that a tree has no identifiable voice to human ears? But wait. Trees do have voices. One of their articulations comes in the form of the play of wind in branches, leaves, and needles. Another language is spoken between trees knocking against each other under winds’ unpredictable currents. Sometimes, they lean against each other like good friends. One may support another from falling. Jack Pines can grow to one hundred feet tall on relatively thin trunks. It doesn’t take much wind to set them waving like a sailboat marina harboring dozens of sail-less, rocking masts. An amazing experience is to lean your back against a Jack Pine’s trunk and feel the low groan, the vibration of the force within the slowly bending stem.

Exploration 1: Have you ever felled a large tree? More than one? If so, what were your thoughts while doing this? If not, can you imagine what you would feel if you did so?

Exploration 2: Is there a “point” to this poem, or is it simply a poet’s musings?

Exploration 3: Do you think trees have feelings and that they suffering when assaulted with saws and axes? If so, what is the truth about any feelings during the splitting.











 

Comments

  1. I'm not necessarily known as a tree feller, but I have cut down a few trees in my lifetime; mostly, with success. One time, while living with my folks on one side of me and a old retired engineer on the other side of me, we got a nasty Iowa thunderstorm which tore off a large upper portion of a boxelder in our yard, and left it hanging on the trunk like it was a hinge above a telephone line, stretching from along our alley to our house. I studied the problem a day or two and figured out a way I could cut it, so it would avoid the line.

    However, being a young impetuous man between two old men who had done a thing or two, and one an engineer to boot, I learned in no uncertain terms that should I attempt it my way, I was doomed to fail and, if I was in my right mind at all, I'd know they were right. So you know how that went.

    I cut firewood in Iowa one or two years -- and got a lot of exercise; plus I nearly decapitated my friend Jeff when he very nearly stepped into the path of a tall falling tree before I shouted and the tree fell swiftly to the ground like the blade of a guillotine between two trees standing very close together. That may have been the same day we were throwing cobs of wood in tandem into a trailer below a high fence and I clocked him in the head when we got out of cadence; me throwing and him looking.

    Cutting a tree in the ditch along the Palmville Cemetery road many years ago, I pinched the chainsaw blade as the tree tipped, and in my attempt to get the blade out of the skinny sapling without shutting off the saw -- the bar came out with a good jerk and the cutting chain dropped neatly onto my knee, if but briefly. Not feeling any immediate pain, I thought I'd better see if I had suffered any damage anyway as the denim was cut somewhat. Standing in the bottom of the ditch, I shut off the saw, set it on the shoulder of the road there, and climbed up onto it, stepping down hard with that leg to lift myself up when blood showered the top of my boot from under my pants leg. So that was a few stitches....

    However, I've planted literally many thousands more trees than I've cut down, and those have produced hundreds of thousands of babies, although cutting down even one has greatly perturbed my wife over the 13 years we've been married and 18 years we've lived as a couple, total. She absolutely knows in her heart they have feelings and because I occasionally remove a few, I obviously don't; but that's not true. I'm tremendously proud of the trees I plant, and have been known to admire them aloud with high praise and encouragement, going even as far as applying a good pat or two on trunks I handled 30-40 years earlier as small saplings. How could I not love them?

    Early last fall, I think it was, I was alone in the woods north of our house; the wind low to nonexistent, when I heard a large tree fall with a WHAAOMP! off to my right and behind me some distance away. I wondered where there was a tree that large and heavy, knowing every tree on this half-mile square. I walked toward where I thought I heard it and discovered the settling behemoth -- probably not as large as Woe's Goliath, but aged just the same -- laying just inches from my deer stand from where it had fallen minutes earlier; had it limped to its right just a tad it would've demolished the old green-treated crate on stilts with which it had likely exchanged many stories, the past twenty years; they're stories all.







    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment could be crafted into a poem. Great story with blood added for good "measure"! Love the story within the story. These tree events are fairly common on up here; however, I expect city readers would find the narratives exotic - maybe even thrilling. Thank you for adding vim and vigor to the poem!

      Delete
  2. Very vivid there JS. I've had the pleasure of hearing this poem read aloud.

    1. I cut dead trees at first and when they ran out, I started on the live ones. We were heating the house with wood. I felt bad about ending their lives. Now I apologize and thank them.
    2. What would Horace say? The point of a poem is to release intense feelings. It feels good to yell " Timber!"
    3. I don't know how the trees feel when I cut them down. They probably don't like it, but I doubt the saw hurts them as much as it would me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment