Skip to main content

26 August 19 - The One – Song 7: Snakes & Dragons, Segment 3

The three characters in this segment of Song 7 appear to be on three separate trajectories. Or are they? Intuitions, naivete, and appetite (or not) for adventure all play a significant role in the unfolding of the plot. Relationships form and dissolve. Knowledge, dare I say wisdom is shared, believed, and rejected out of hand. In short, the plot thickens, as the saying goes.

As you read, stay aware of motivations and desires, greed and honest caring. You may find this segment challenging in that none of these dynamics are particularly clear at this time. But wait. The next segment will make all things clear. The fourth and final segment will be posted on 9 September. Hold on to your oars!



We finish our gathering and start back
“Some plants and flowers make good medicine,”
            she tells me as we walk.  “Yarrow is good
                        for lots of things – stops bleeding, heals bruises,
                        burns, even arrow wounds.”  She glances at
                        me to check my reaction to the last
“Sounds good.  Show me some.”  I don’t take the bait
“There’s some soldier’s woundwort behind the shack.”
“I thought we were talking about yarrow.”
“Same thing. Different name. It’s called stanch weed, too.”
“This is complicated. A lot to learn.”
“All depends on how bad you need to know.”

Shortly, we see Hart sitting in the boat.
“Hart!” I call. “Look what we’ve got.” No response
“Give me those,” she says taking the green leaves
            from my bowled-out shirt. “Go see what is wrong.
            I’ll finish off the soup so we can eat.”

I walk down to the water, sit cross-legged
            on the pier and wait for Hart to speak first
Hart looks at me. I see tears welling up
            Hart looks away, I hate it here.  Let’s go.”
“You don’t have to eat,” I coax quietly
            I’m torn between needing to take care of
            Hart and wanting to know more of the things
                        this strange woman knows of plants, bulbs, and weeds
ones that heal or kill, others that can feed

“This place is just plain bad. Can’t you see that?”
            Hart tries even harder to plead the case
“Just one night, Hart. We can go at sunrise.”
“You go on. I’ll stay in the boat. The fish
            smell here is perfume compared to her stink.”
“She’s not that bad. She knows all kinds of things 
            about which plants make good eating and which
            can heal, and others that are bad poison.”
“It’s the poison part that I’m afraid of.”
“I’m going in. I wish you’d come with me.”
Hart hunkers down, plants both feet, crosses arms
            “I’ll be here as long as I can stand it.”
I see it’s no use.  I turn, walk away
            but stubbornness has tainted this 

The shack door is open so I walk in
Soup bubbles and steams in a cast iron pot
            sitting atop a huge, blackened woodstove
I do not see the woman though the shack,
            a single room, has no way out the back
            
Dangling from the ceiling beams, dried flowers
            and plants tied in bunches swing gently caught
            in the breeze like a hundred hanging men
I reach and pluck a small dusty yellow
            blossom from a low-hanging bunch of flowers
I sniff it. It smells like dry hay. I bring
            it to my tongue, moisten it to heighten
            the sweet aroma of late summer fields
“How can you be sure it isn’t poison?”
            asks the woman suddenly behind me
I flinch in surprise but manage not to
            gasp or yelp like Hart. I breathe in and say
            “It smells like it would do me good. A flower
            couldn’t hurt or kill you, could it?” I ask
“Your nose is smart, but you’re weak for beauty
            that traps and kills you if you don’t watch out.
            In this case you’re safe. The flower’s chamomile,
            a sort of daisy, good for stomach aches.”
I pop the blossom in my mouth and chew
“So, maybe I just lied and poisoned you,”
             she whispers loudly and squints up her eyes
Although I flinch, I only say, “We’ll see
            now won’t we? Besides I think I trust you.”
            This I say to secure an antidote
                        if needed. “So, what are all these?” I point
                        to the bunches hanging from the ceiling

“It’s better to learn about them when they’re
            in the ground, and now there’s the soup to cook
            I was just out picking two final herbs – 
            thyme and savory, not deadly nightshade.”
She holds the sprigs up for my inspection
            then stands before the soup and breaks them in
“What else is in this soup?” I bend to sniff
“I bet you would rather make some guesses.”
“All right.” I peer inside the grease-grimed pot
“Fish for sure. No doubt right from this river.
I see potatoes. Where did they come from?”
“My cellar’s last ones from my autumn crop 
I spoon up a ladle. “There’s tomatoes.”
“Picked and dried right off my vines last year, too.”
“Do I see cut green beans bobbing in here?”
“A fresh early type grown right over there.”
            She points beyond where the fish are smoking
“Do I see parsley or is it nightshade?”
“The friendly kind,” she answers tasting broth
            “And look at this.” She pulls a heavy pan
            off a shelf higher up the woodstove stack
            “Cornbread made from corn meal I ground myself.”
“You must spend all your time preparing food.”
“Mostly I like being independent.
            If I can feed and heal myself I don’t
                        need much, if anything, from anyone
                        like you need your friend out there in that boat.”
“I don’t need anyone or anything,” 
I say before I think of how I do 
or what great fears make me say I do not
“You said you want to learn from me but Hart
            won’t let you stay. I can plainly see that.”
“No one runs my life or checks up on me.”
“So, you say, but I see something different.”
“Hart needs me because of that crippled leg.”
            I can’t believe these words come from my mouth
                        and I’m ashamed even as I speak them
“Oh, I see,” is all she says to my lies
“I’d better go and check on things out there.”
            I gaze out to where Hart sits in our boat
                        looking so alone and so miserable 
            I want to run out there and make amends
“Let’s eat,” the woman says lifting chipped bowls
            off wooden shelves and blowing dust away
We sit at an sturdy table slurping
            soup and dunking cornbread. Both are so good
            it isn’t hard to see how she stays fat
When I finish my third helping, I stare
            out the door toward Hart sitting in the same
            forlorn position of an hour ago
I’m on the edge of making excuses
            and leaving now my belly’s fat and full

She bangs a clear bottle on the table
“Here’s something special for dessert,” she purrs
            arching one eyebrow as she sits back down
“What is it?” I ask when I really mean
            to say thanks, and good-bye to run to Hart 
“This is the one thing I don’t make myself.
            I traded tons of fish for this bottle
            Not every drifter gets a taste of this.”
            She uncorks the long-necked bottle, pours two
            two large drinks, raises her mug toward our boat
            and says, “Here’s to all those who break our hearts.”
I hesitate, but salute toward the sun
            sinking into forest behind the shack
            and in that hushed instant before I drink
            I think of Jani, breaker of my heart
            I think of Hart, in the midst of breaking


Background
Young people who are out adventuring are bound to get what they are looking for – and not looking for. Some people who appear in their lives have agendas of their own. Where is a young person to turn for reliable advice? Can he/she trust personal judgment at this early stage of life? I am in my late sixties, and often when I meet and engage young people – even in their twenties – my heart goes out to them as they try to decipher right from wrong, worthy companions from bad, and most of all, what his/her roles in life would be best to follow. Elders may try to assist, but young people can be skeptical of them. On the other hand, mentors like the school teacher appear as well.

It is all very challenging, if not confusing. But does it ever end – this exploration of best/worst paths and the people we meet on the way?

Exploration 1: At the beginning of this segment, the woman acts as teacher to our protagonist. Do you have a sense of her motivations for doing so? By the end of the segment, are they any clearer?

Exploration 2: Should friends support each other and join in mutual activities, even if one party feels an interest in what’s going on, and the other party does not? Similarly, like Hart, should friends observe, comment, and advise when they believe things are going in a dangerous direction?

Exploration 3: Do you have any inkling of what will happen next?


NEXT: “Snakes and Dragons” Segment 4, the final portion of Song 7.

You can read the full texts of Songs 1-5 by clicking here



Comments