Skip to main content

18 July 2024 The Last Plains Indian War Chief

I read an Indian Country Today online article about Canada apologizing to nine Dakota/Lakota Nations in Manitoba and Saskatchewan on Monday for historically recognizing them as refugees, a label that one chief says turned them into "second-class First Nation citizens."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-sask-apology-dakota-lakota-1.7263101?cmp=newsletter_CBC%20Manitoba_1650_1632247 

One of the tribes were the Birdtail Sioux Dakota Nation, a name that spurred my memory inasmuch that I remember my wife's eldest son, John, saying, during his search for a definitive tribal link, that he understood his father had Birdtail Dakota ancestry. Contacting him via email about this mention of the Birdtail Nation, from a time so long ago now, he simply replied "Medicine Crow is/was the name."

"Hmmm." I was left to define his answer on my own. So, I googled 'Medicine Crow.' And up pops:

Joe Medicine Crow 1913-2016

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Medicine_Crow

I didn't think John's ancestry included the Crow Nation, but hey this guy's story was interesting. Let's explore further ... Ken Burns did a piece on him, here:

https://www.pbs.org/kenburns/the-war/joseph-medicine-crow

Be sure you have the volume turned up, or else you can't hear the geese overhead...


Comments

  1. Interesting man.
    I wonder if stealing an enemy jeep could be substituted nowadays for a horse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd think so, especially if it was a mustang,bronco or pinto

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed this column. Thanks for sending us to the links to learn more about this man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You certainly keep us educated with your frequent posts from our First Nations. KN would be proud - that is if he has "looked into" our writing, as he said he would. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just subscribe to newsletters from CBC and ICT to particularly keep abreast of news/stories of cultures not my own. Some stories overlap. Besides, KN doesn't know I'm linked to the Wannaskan Almanac -- and, the five others that do, haven't told him.

      Delete

Post a Comment