Skip to main content

Wannaskan Almanac for Tuesday, November 7, 2023 Since I Been Old

Can·tan·ker·ous

/kanˈtaNGk(ə)rəs/

adjective

bad-tempered, argumentative, and uncooperative.

"a crusty, cantankerous old man"




It dawned on me

A sudden realization

A culmination

Because of loud music

And people parking too close to my yard

Kids talking and not making any sense

I learned the names of all my ailments

And shared them with others

Even if they were disgusting

Looked in the mirror

Some old guy was staring back at me

He looked crabby

Disgusted

I am cantankerous


I used to be hip-now I need a hip replacement.

I used to be cool-now I am always cold.

I used to be young.

Now I am...cantankerous.




Comments

  1. One of the first things I noticed, just months before my retirement (and I was 'old' then) was the topic of conversation of many, say in the grocery store aisles and parking lots, was their last surgery or diagnosis when it used to be the weather, crop prices, and family -- oh, and hockey.
    Then I noticed an up tic in the number of old men who started wearing bright white athletic shoes, loose-fitting jeans -- and looser fitting dentures. Some were even experimenting wearing shorts and flip-flops; you know, cool guy stuff. But cantankerous? In my experience, most of them left that side of themselves back where they used to work and became uncharacteristically pleasant having released the stress of productivity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't retirement your operative word here?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll always be hot to me: Mr. Hot Coco.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment