Skip to main content

Go, Bison!

Hello and welcome to a snowless Saturday here at the Wannaskan Almanac. Today is November 18th.

A few weeks ago I had the honor of receiving the 2023 Distinguished Education Professional Award from North Dakota State University. The DEP program "identifies counselors and career center professionals who demonstrate leadership, commitment, excellence in their profession, support of student access to higher education and their support to NDSU."

NDSU Admissions hosted a 2-day event that was not only educational but a blast. We met with the admissions team, had appetizers at President Cook's home on campus, had a fabulous meal in downtown Fargo, and, of course, took a photo by the famous bison statue.

This trip reminded me of two reasons why I love the world of college admissions. 

The first is how much I love touring college campuses. Seriously. Since 2019, I've toured at least 30 colleges, from the East Coast to the West Coast, and I still get that same thrilling feeling when I step onto a campus. Simply put, the energy of potential is palpable. It swirls in the air like a cinnamon stick in hot apple cider. I melt like a marshmallow in that hot cocoa-sweetness of possibility.

The second reason is that college and career readiness admissions and counselors are my people. Imagine a roomful of folks who all extend a smile and a hand and say, "Hi. My name is __________." If that strikes fear in the heart of introverts, fear not. These folks know how to temper their enthusiasm with a "meet you where you're at" nonchalance.

But my favorite part of the NDSU visit was the sense of community. NDSU folks love being bison! From the students eating lunch in the dining hall to the president - and all the alum in between - there is a wonderful sense of school spirit that tingles the senses. I'm a Gopher and the University of Minnesota will always be closest to my heart, but NDSU really wooed me with their genuine affection for their community. 

Having recently admired and skirted around bison in Theodore Roosevelt National Park, I paired the nostalgia of that trip with the love of NDSU and just had to buy Bison gear for the kids and myself. The 3rd Grader was especially thrilled to add to his collegiate wardrobe, already consisting of sweatshirts from WPI and University of St. Thomas, and said, "Mom, if you get me 4 more shirts, I'll have one for every day of the week!" 

Go, Bison!




Comments

  1. Congratulations on this well-deserved honor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was totally awesome to see you. Congrats again on your award you deserved it for the great work you did. You all have a great Saturday, enjoy that sunshine. Love to all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You certainly carry your "weight," girl! Again, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Kim on your well deserved award! Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. A Very “Ham-worthy” award.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I have to send you a pic of the award. It's the SIZE of a ham!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Hmmmm...I had to think about this. I probably say both, but if I had to commit, I will go with "bye-son" but the S is a little stronger than Son but not full on to commit to a Z. Something in the middle? :)

      Delete

Post a Comment