Skip to main content

Wannaskan Almanac for Tuesday, October 24, 2023 Oh, Canada!

If you grew up in Canada in the 1970's and 80's, you were introduced to two main things on television.  Those things would be Hockey Night in Canada and short videos from the National Film Board of Canada.  As far as I know these two items are still on CBC.  

The animations by the NFB were some of my favorites as a youngster.  For example, the Big Snit is a tale of caution.  First of all, avoid playing scrabble.  Second...don't play with saws.  You could ruin everything!  


Another cautionary tale reminds us to make sure we listen to the women in our lives.  Special Delivery is a dark account of what to do if you find the mailman dead.  


Not all the NFB films are dark or contain gratuitous nudity.  Some just point out how hard it is to get rid of your pets.  


There are loads of other videos.  The Hockey Sweater is one that I highly recommend, mainly because it disparages the hated Maple Leafs.  I have often wondered how to get into making short films like this and if you can get rich doing them.  The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind.  

Take off eh!

Comments


  1. Canada, the hidden gem to the North.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got up this morning and brushed my teeth, quietly, (versus noisily) so not to wake me wife who often sleeps a wee bit later than I do, then I turned on me computer which opens on the Wannaskan Almanac first t'ing, making sure the amplifier is off 'so not to wake me wife who often sleeps a wee bit later than I do', eh. And sure as rain, Tuesdays are Mr. Hot Coco days I'm thinkin'.
    YOU DIDN'T LET ME DOWN JOHNNIE!! I almost choked to death laughing quietly, (because, well you know ...) with me toothbrush in me mouth, as it was, watching The Big Snit. Hooyah. That was GREAT! And, explains volumes about other Rainy River types I've known. Merci!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment