Skip to main content

Wannaskan Almanac for Tuesday, February 7, 2023...Single Love

Ah, it is February.  Already the Vikings have been the Vikings and the Cowboys have been the Cowboys and the Heimlich maneuver has already been applied to both teams.  "At least there is always next year," claim their fans, as the obstruction moves ever closer to their team's throat again. 

Sorry...not sorry!

 
America's Heimlich team!

But I am not here today to write about these two teams of lovable losers.  Since we are a week before Valentine's Day I thought I would dedicate a column to those who aren't in love during this Hallmark season.  There are those who are happy and single, not wanting to mingle.  Today is your day!

I have known several people who have managed to stay single their whole lives.  Some have done so for religious reasons.  Three of the most helpful and devout Christians I have ever known were ladies who chose to not marry.  You could not question their sincerity in serving God and their church.  They helped the poor, cared for the young, and were tireless in their service to everyone.  I would write their names here but they would not want me to, even though they passed on years ago.  As they taught me years ago, "So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."  While they never married they did love God and their peers perfectly.

I also know people who just don't seem to care about relationships beyond friendships.  A good friend of mine has never been in even a casual relationship.  He has told me several times that he just doesn't want to be tied down.  I assured him each time that most relationships don't involve ropes.  Seriously though, he is satisfied just being him.  He travels a lot and has his interests.  He is being sincere in his life and likes his freedom.  

So today I would just like to salute those who have chosen to be single.  Perhaps if we had a day to honor that choice more people would give it a try.  Also, Hallmark could sell cards to a whole new, yet small, market.  Happy enitnelav day!  

Comments


  1. At first I didn’t see the connection between the three Christian ladies and the Vikings. Then I realized the three ladies practiced humility while being a Vikings fan teaches humility. No choke.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment