Skip to main content

Guest Post: Best Money Every Spent

Hello and welcome to another Saturday here at the Wannaskan Almanac. Today is February 18th.

Today, I'm excited to share a wonderful piece by my friend Linda Ottman of Hackensack, Minnesota. Linda cracks me up. I think of her as being on the quieter side, but only because, when we get together, I usually talk enough for both of us. However, when I stop talking long enough to listen, she'll unfurl story after story of her many-lived experiences. Today's piece is one such example. You can hear Linda read her story on Michael Goldberg's Stay Human radio program on KAXE on Sunday, March 5th at 5pm or on the rebroadcast on Monday, March 6th at 8am. A big thank you to KAXE for permission to share her story before the broadcast!

Best Money Every Spent

Best money spent...Hmmmm. Well, to tell the truth, there have been more than a few times in my life when I've purchased something, and after using it for a while said to myself, "Now THAT was the best 20 bucks I've ever spent!"  I could say the $150 I spent on my first car was some of the best money I've ever spent, a 1963 Chevy Impala that I bought in 1971 when I was 16. I sure wish I still had that great car!  Another beloved purchase was the flowy, flowery hippie skirt that I bought at Minneapolis Ragstock back in 1972 for a buck that I wore and loved for YEARS!

One of THE BEST expenditures I've ever made was a 9-week backpacking trip around Europe with a dear friend, Beth, back in the summer of 1972! The entire trip, including airfare (back then there was such a thing as student fare), 6 weeks of unlimited travel on a Eurail Pass, food, other travel expenses, and lodging (back in the day when a one-night stay in a youth hostel was 50 cents or maybe a dollar, or actually up to $4 in Oslo, which was exorbitant and really stretched our budget!) cost only $750. Now THAT is a great bargain. I went back to Europe the following year, and the airfare alone to Switzerland was that same amount!

Then there is the handmade tote bag made out of primarily recycled plastic bags (don't even get me started on the way I feel about plastic bags....) with several pockets and a zippered top that I bought at a farmers' market in Tucson 5 years ago which I still use on an almost daily basis! It cost $40, which is no small change for a tote bag, but definitely worth it to me as one of the best things I've ever spent my hard-earned money on.

But, one very special item that has its own special significance in my "best money spent" memories is the purchase of several (40 or so) wooden trivets that I bought from a woodworker artist in the Bemidji area, probably 10 or 12 years ago!  It may seem hard to believe, but some people don't know what a trivet is, so just in case you are in that category, it is an object placed on a table or counter to keep them safe from the heat of hot baking dishes during family meals. These particular trivets are made out of 5 kinds of wood that are native to Minnesota - birch, aspen, ash, tamarack, and walnut - and they are created in the shape of the state of Minnesota! Yes, I know - brilliant, right? And what a perfect gift for ... well, anyone who has a kitchen!  And they also come in the shapes of Wisconsin, North and South Dakota, and even Iowa, but as you will probably agree, those shapes are kinda boring compared to the shape of Minnesota!

The best part is that they cost $5 each, or 3 for $10!  What a deal! Honestly, in my humble opinion, these trivets could easily sell for 10 bucks each, even 10 years ago! So you can imagine my delight to discover them. Granted, I am said to be easily delighted, which is not such a bad thing. I bought 6 immediately and gave them all away to 6 good friends. Well, I have a lot more than 6 good friends, and I decided that I wanted to support the artist, Doug, and put smiles on ALL my friends' faces! At least I'm under the impression that they put smiles on my friends' faces. They smiled when I gave them to them. And that led to purchasing about 30 more over the following few months. And a couple of THOSE good friends thought they were special enough that they ALSO bought probably 10 each to give away as gifts. We kept Doug busy for a while. Some of the trivets are on walls as artwork (they truly are beautiful!), and many are being put to practical use on tables in friends' homes in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Florida, California, Arizona, Oregon, and Colorado at least. Michael, I believe there is one at your house too!

I guess what makes these trivets extra special and money so well spent is that they are handmade with native woods in the shape of our dear state, and they are in the hands of dozens of loved ones. It just doesn't get much better than that, especially at 3 for 10 dollars.  The last I checked they are still for sale at the Bemidji Senior Citizens Center for $5 each. If you are a good friend of mine, and you don't have a Minnesota trivet... well, give me a call, and we may have to remedy that!





Comments