Skip to main content

WAKWIR Monthly Chat

Hello, and welcome back to another wonderful and eventful story by me! I’m pretty sure the last time I was aired on the blog was way back in June. But as you all know, that was a very long time ago, so we have a lot of catching up to do. I didn’t really do much the rest of June. All I did was go to this one Catholic youth camp, which was pretty fun. 

Now that I think of it, I really didn’t do much at all this summer. The only things I really did was just hang out with friends and avoid running (we’ll talk about that later). In July, the only big thing that happened was going camping at the Northwest Angle which was really fun. Even though we could only be in Minnesota waters, and it was a short trip, it was still one of my favorite parts of the summer. 

August picked up some speed. At the beginning of August, I had my Behind the Wheel Training, which went semi-decently (only a few near collisions, but everyone makes mistakes), and in a week's time, I completed the course and got my white card. That weekend I also went to the Black Hills with everyone in our family except my mom and my older brother. It was a very active weekend because the dates we went there were the exact dates of the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, which just added to the adventure in an...interesting way. I still enjoyed being there because I really enjoy mountains and, to me, the Black Hills were just a step down from those. But a step down is better than nothing and I still really enjoyed them. 

A week later, cross country started. Now at the beginning of June, I had this grand idea of running a hundred summer miles for the summer. I can firmly say I really liked this idea. I liked it in my head. Once I actually got to the running part, that’s where I started to lose a bit of steam. Being completely transparent, I ran 28 miles in the first half of June, went to the Catholic camp, and didn’t run again till practice started. And it mega showed. I was one of the slowest on the team. But because practice was every day, I had to go with everyone, which “surprisingly” improved my running a lot. This year, I’m in 10th grade, which means I have to run 3 miles at meets. 

Knowing me, this would be a very big challenge. It was and still is. Eventually, after 3 weeks of practice, I’ve started regularly running around 3 miles. (For the past 3 years, I've been used to running only 2 miles.) But despite running 3 miles almost every day for the past 2 or so weeks, it still is just as much of a challenge completing the run as it was two weeks ago. Just over two weeks ago, I had my first meet, and for my three-mile time, I got a 25:55. Definitely not the best, but it wasn't the worst time either. It could have been, and was, a lot worse at the beginning of the season. And just a couple days ago on Thursday, I got a 25:49 for my 3-mile time at my last meet. 

Now one other thing started just a bit after cross country started. School. Don’t we love school?

This year I’m a sophomore, and I decided to take 3 really hard classes that have made this past week really stressful. Honors English 10, Honors Biology, and Algebra 2. I’m glad that I’m taking the classes because it gets me a step ahead of many other students in the grade and gives me extra GPA points. If I do well, that is. So yeah, there's a lot of work in the classes, and most of that isn’t exactly the most fun work. All of it is pretty hard, but in the end, it'll be worth it! Hopefully. 

So now combine an increasingly challenging sport with 3 classes that will work me to death and 5 hours of sleep each night, I can fully say I’m embracing the high school life I told myself I wouldn't do when I was in 7th grade. I’m pretty sure this is going to be the year I learn how to organize my work and be efficient with my time, which is something I don’t like doing but need to do.

Well, I hope you all have enjoyed this post, and I hope to see you all the next time I write again!

David, aka Wannaskan Almanac Kid Writer-in-Residence (WAKWIR)

 

On This Day

Historic Highlights (credits)

1998 - The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) is founded
Author Esther Dyson became the first chairperson of the now non-profit organization, which was initially under the oversight of the U.S. Department of Commerce. In 2009, the Department of Commerce gave up its control over ICANN, which is responsible for maintaining the Domain Name System (DNS) on the Internet.

1973 - West Germany adopts the Deutsche Mark
This action replaced the East German Mark and helped complete the economic reunification part of the union between East and West Germany.

1959 - Vanguard 3 is launched into Earth's orbit
The geocentric satellite was launched into Earth's orbit by a Vanguard rocket, built by Glenn L. Martin Company, which is now known as Lockheed-Martin.

1934 - USSR joins the League of Nations
It was expelled just a few years later for its aggressive actions towards Finland.

1872 - Oscar II becomes King of Norway and Sweden
He succeeded his brother Charles XV and IV

Happy Birthday to You!🎶 


1976 - Ronaldo, Brazilian footballer

1971 - Jada Pinkett Smith, American model, actress

1961 - James Gandolfini, American actor

1905 - Greta Garbo, Swedish actress

1709 - Samuel Johnson, English author, lexicographer

Remembering You

1970 - Jimi Hendrix, American singer-songwriter, guitarist, producer

1961 - Dag Hammarskjöld, Swedish diplomat, economist, author, 2nd Secretary-General of the United Nations, Nobel Prize Laureate

1830 - William Hazlitt, English critic, painter

1783 - Leonhard Euler, Swiss mathematician, physicist

96 - Domitian, Roman Emperor

Take a moment to reflect on the 20th anniversary of 9/11 and make it a great Saturday.

Kim







Comments