Skip to main content

Thursday September 23, 2021

 No Translation Needed

 


      Spectacular September clouds from 2020; I saw some similar to these last week but I didn’t have my digital camera with me, only my inexpensive cellphone whose images are so reliably poor in quality, that I didn't bother to try. Although I didn’t buy it to take fantastic digital images like Chairman Joe’s iPhone 11 does, I feel unarmed when I carry it and such grandeur presents itself overhead. or leaps out of the woods and stands still, it looking at me, and me looking at it, as in the case of the wild turkey I saw on Sunday.

I was slowly driving on one of our field roads when I saw it standing on a trail watching me go by. I’m sure it heard the sound of the truck and felt safe enough, half-hidden, to observe me from that distance. It was the first one I had seen since spring; a pleasant change from seeing deer everyday. (Turkey season starts Oct 2!)


My wife and I have noticed how little wildlife there has come to be around us these past few weeks with the exception of innumerable flocks of migrating Canadian geese and the lesser number of goose hunters that hunt them in the early mornings. 

On one of her almost-daily walks to the mailbox, (a mile round-trip) she discovered a gaggle of geese mid-way out on on a neighbor’s field a quarter mile south of her route, and a clutch of goose hunters set-up in an adjoining field to the west, anticipating their imminent flight. Although not in danger of being shot herself, she quickened her pace away, so not to spook the ever-watchful geese prematurely and send them off to their possible doom .

But where have the other birds gone? Have their numbers really become so low in our lifetimes that we missed their gradual demise? Didn’t we used to see more robins? Blackbirds, sparrows, doves? hawks? 

Except for bird-feeding we do beginning at the first snowfall, (or deer season) chickadees have even become scarce, same for nuthatches. We see a flock of gold finches once in awhile after a rain; and yeah, maybe a few more flickers, a mourning dove or two, but it seems; least ways in our old heads, that birds were everywhere we looked ‘back in the old days,’ and since then, it’s apparent we just took them for granted.

I remember standing out in the corral some evenings and seeing owls fly in to sit on corral rail posts at dusk to hunt mice. But maybe it’s the mice that are getting scarce and not the owls?

I enjoy listening to the Great-Horned owl that frequents the South Fork of Roseau River woods at Chairman Joe’s, but it’s rare to hear it along Mikinaak Creek less than a mile away. A mutual friend of ours was at Joe's one evening, and demonstrated his booming owl-calling  skill to much adoration and amazement. An owl answered him in kind, leaving us to our imaginations. But I knew what it said ...

OH YEAH? YER MAMA!


Or words to that effect.

Comments

  1. The turkey population is picking up out here in the forest - avian and human.

    We've been setting out more makeshift bird baths and other water sources this year, which seems to make our locals happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there has been an up-tick of the human kind here too ... As for bird baths I've pondered providing some when I think about it, but with the creek so close by it doesn't seem necessary. Other than ducks and geese having a good time in it, we don't see song birds utilizing it that way.

      Our creek banks are covered with reed canary grass so there are few bare stretches of it where we would observe small birds along its shore, unlike sixty years ago when the basin was pastured up and down its length; Killdeer and Yellowlegs were prevalent. There was one Meadowlark, up by the schoolhouse for years, who used to perch on the wire from the intersection to the school building; I heard it many times. It's gone too, along with the wire; it's underground, and so is maybe the bird, laid there by a drive-by sharpshooter.

      I 'caught' a redtail hawk on one of the trail cameras; and a crow or raven on a different day. Surprisingly not many more birds than those, except for a curious chickadee whose flare of wings triggers the camera or whose face fills the lens with curiosity.

      Oppositely, maybe the birds are wondering the same thing about us.
      "Didn't there used to be more of the other two-leggeds around here?'

      Delete
  2. WW, your observations align with my own - even the once burgeoning hummingbird population's whirring of wings is moving toward silence over here. Of course, we have taken our species-neighbors for granted. Of course, we humans are the main suspects responsible for their demise. Don't worry, humans. Soon enough we will follow, victims of our own mammoth mistakes, and heedless greed. Words to harsh? So is what our species is doing to our planet and its inhabitants.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment