Skip to main content

18 May 2020 – The One – #11: Dragons True – Segment 3

Diving deeper into magic territory, the main character understands both Dragon and dog languages, and they understand human speech. Curiouser and curiouser. Down the rabbit hole. The white rabbit. Suspending disbelief. All these are necessary approaches to what comes next in our story.



Now I hear the dragon’s language clearly
                                    and dog’s meanings are simply understood
                                                as if unexpectedly thoughts translate
                                                between us and human, dog, and dragon
                                                            dance wildly, singing in their native tongues
                        Dragon stops her swaying, looks at me saying,
                                    “I am Shield Bearer, fifth of nine
 second of three, numbers of my birth and rank
                                    I am come for you crossing space and time
                                    I am come to impart our truth to you
                                    You are worthy even if you aren’t pure”
                        Argose looks like he’s grinning and appears
                                    to understand Dragon Speech as I do
                                    although perhaps in some canine accent
                        “Where I am from, hope alive is not gone,”
                                    speaks the dragon, fifth of nine, in her song
                        “I guard all Speech in the place of lizards
                        As elder, I discern, cures and prophesy
                                    from here to the dead worlds of dusky earth
                                    and on to where those who believe and trust
                                                plummet to the dance beneath blue oceans”
                        She peels her lips back and flashes her teeth
                                    jointing inverse triangles glinting sharp
                                                as thunderclaps, very like nine green stones
                        Argose mimics her toothy smile, then sneezes
                        All this makes me smile and I imagine
                                    my teeth growing longer into daggers

                        I’m bewildered by this transformation
                        “What’s this about?” I inquire of us three
                        “How can dog and Dragon converse with me?”
                                    dog with thoughts and lizard with Dragon Speech

                        I hope this Dragon is true – now doubting
                                    I withdraw three steps and consider two
                        They look as though they hope this will not end
                        My belief begins rising, then fades out 
                        Dragon puffs her cheeks – makes a windy throat noise
                        Argose stands stiffly, quietly huffing
                        We three amber in a crack of cold time
                        I’m the one to decide, but shirk that duty
                                    and the waiting has a certain beauty
                        I release my mind letting it leap up and fly
                        Then I’m on earth with Argose by my side
                                    and this huge lizard named Shield Bearer five
                        Threadlike stripes of black and white streak my eyes
                                    prison bars and guards telling whispered lies
                        Shield Bearer shakes her head – her spiked back sways
                        She shakes her head again and claws the air
                        “Know this: you live under a double star” 

                        Argose lies down whimpering at my feet
                        A gigantic silence razors the air
                        The great Lizard’s feet sink into the sand
                        Not one breathed word passes between us three
                        Argose gets up and slowly walks away
                        He turns to look back three times as he leaves
                        His slumped shoulders and down-dragging tail say
                                    “We’re finished here. It’s time to walk away”

                        While we have been enthralled with Shield Bearer
                                    Hart’s anchor has dragged into the river
                        She’s out too far to bring in – too far to save
                                    unmanned, abandoned, bobbing on the waves
                        Argose seems to know and looks straight ahead
                        I follow – all there’s to say has been said

                        Has Argose turned from Shield Bearer to say,
                        “Look, you fool, our own ship has sailed away?”
                        Or perhaps, he understands Dragon Speech
                                    far better and greater than I can reach
                        Has a vision come to me unbidden?
                        I know this Dragon cannot be a dream, like most that came before

                        I turn to see the reptile’s steps two times two
                        All I know is I’ve been with a Dragon True


Background
I have read and enjoyed many works of science fiction and fantasy. This narrative is somewhat different, being based on Homer’s Odyssey. The difference is that this story is a hero’s journey and can be interpreted as a passage that each human being is on, whether it involves magic or stories based on legends of actual persons. One might consider the science fiction (and a few scientists) view that parallel universes exist wherein we each have a counterpart in two or more worlds. Could this be what is meant by the line, “We three amber in a crack of cold time”? This point in the narrative brings us for the first time, face-to-face with the questions, “What is real?” “What is true?”

Exploration 1: Have you figured out the significance of the numbers of the Dragons we have met so far? As you know, there are nine altogether, and Shield Bearer is number 5, a sort of midway point. Can you identify the other 4 so far?

Exploration 2: Do you find this segment just too incredible, and in the realm of children’s stories? Have you ever seen a Dragon? Dreamed one? Why are many people so drawn to tales of magic and the supernatural?

Exploration 3: This portion of the narrative really tests a reader’s stamina and appetite for releasing logic in favor of encountering the Dreaming, the realm of miracles. The main character is also taxed, wondering whether to believe the experiences or not. Could this “all be a dream,” as the old phrase goes? So far in the narrative, how can you tell when someone is Dreaming? Why do I capitalize “Dream” and “Dreaming”?








Comments

  1. In earlier comments I tried to identify the dragons. You didn't conform or deny my guesses at the time.
    What does the "second of three," mean?
    This segment is no more incredible then the first sections of the poem. It seems like MC is a dragon too underneath reality. People enjoy stories to jazz up their humdrum lives.
    What is dream and what is real? I've never stubbed my toe in a dream. Pain is real. Ending pain is the dream.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment