Skip to main content

27 April 20 Guest Poet: Mary Oliver.


This week’s post welcomes the prize-winning poet, Mary Oliver. I’ve chosen her not only because her poetic form is superb, but also because she found, as I do, much of her material from nature on her long walks wherein she was graced with much inspiration.


Mountain Lion on East Hill Road, Austerlitz, NY


Once, years ago, I saw
the mountain cat. She stepped
from under a cloud
of birch trees and padded
along the edge of the field. When she saw
that I saw her, instantly
flames leaped
in her eyes, it was that
distasteful to her to be
seen. Her wide face
was a plate of gold,
her black lip
curled as though she had come
to a terrible place in the long movie, her shoulders
shook like water, her tail
swung at the grass
as she turned back under the trees,
just leaving me time to guess
that she was not a cat at all
but a lean and perfect mystery.
that perhaps I didn't really see,
but simply understood belong here
like all other perfections
that still, occasionally, emerge
out of the last waterfalls, forests,
the last unviolated mountains, hurrying
day after day, year after year
through the cage of the world.

Exploration: Where do you feel caged, or cage others.


Carrying The Snake To The Garden
In the cellar
was the smallest snake
I have ever seen.
It coiled itself
in a corner
and watched me
with eyes
like two little stars
set into coal,
and a tail
that quivered.
One step
of my foot
and it fled
like a running shoelace,
but a scoop of the wrist
and I had it
in my hand.
I was sorry
for the fear,
so I hurried
upstairs and out the kitchen door
to the warm grass
and the sunlight
and the garden.
It turned and turned
in my hand
but when I put it down
it didn't move.
I thought
it was going to flow
up my leg
and into my pocket.
I thought, for a moment,
as it lifted it's face,
it was going to sing.
And then it was gone.

Exploration: What song do you hear when you fear something or someone?


Meeting Wolf
There are no words
inside his mouth,
inside his golden eyes.

So we stand, silent,
both of us tense
under the speechless but faithful trees.

And this is what I think:
I have given him
intrusion.

He has given me
a glimpse into a better but now broken world.
Not his doing, but ours.

This Too
There was the body of the fawn, in the leaves,
under the tall oaks.
There was the face, the succulent mouth,
the pink, extruded tongue.
There were the eyes.
There was its dark dress, half pulled off.
There were its little hooves.
There was the smell of change, which was
stink.
There was my dog's nose, reading the silence
like a book.
No one spoke, not the Creator, not the Preserver, not the Destroyer.
There was the sound of wind in the leaves,
in the tall oaks.
There was the terrible excitement
of the flies.

And for those who wish to know a bit more about the poet:
Mary Jane Oliver (September 10, 1935 – January 17, 2019) was an American poet who won the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize.

Mary Oliver's poetry is grounded in memories of Ohio and her adopted home of New England, setting most of her poetry in and around Provincetown after she moved there in the 1960s. Influenced by both Whitman and Thoreau, she is known for her clear and poignant observances of the natural world. In fact, according to the 1983 Chronology of American Literature, the "American Primitive," one of Oliver's collection of poems, "...presents a new kind of Romanticism that refuses to acknowledge boundaries between nature and the observing self."  Her creativity was stirred by nature, and Oliver, an avid walker, often pursued inspiration on foot. Her poems are filled with imagery from her daily walks near her home: shore birds, water snakes, the phases of the moon and humpback whales. In Long life she says "[I] go off to my woods, my ponds, my sun-filled harbor, no more than a blue comma on the map of the world but, to me, the emblem of everything." She commented in a rare interview "When things are going well, you know, the walk does not get rapid or get anywhere: I finally just stop and write. That's a successful walk!" She said that she once found herself walking in the woods with no pen and later hid pencils in the trees so she would never be stuck in that place again. She often carried a 3-by-5-inch hand-sewn notebook for recording impressions and phrases.

Note: Gratitude to LoraKim Joyner for her thorough exploration of Mary Oliver’s poems which Joyner has posted on her blogspot. She is a certified trainer in nonviolent communication and a veterinarian specializing in avian conservation.






Comments

  1. I’ve begun feeling caged by any deadline, I’ve realized.
    Not that I didn’t years ago,
    but now I value my freedom so much more;
    even during Coronavirus.

    Years ago I was working at a job,
    sometimes seven days a week,
    often six
    and usually five,
    unless I just called in ‘uninterested’
    as I was occasionally prone to do.

    I was supposed to mature
    the older I got, but was told I was born ‘old.’
    I could see my end of days,
    so it was in my nature not too burn them up
    too fast
    doing stuff I didn’t want to do.

    I’m retired now.
    I worked almost 34 years in a toy factory,
    in a dead-end job that I didn’t love.
    I wasn’t on the assembly line because,
    I couldn’t stand the repetitive fast-paced
    work. ‘Team work’ was someone else’s job.

    I could see my end of days
    working in a place where I had very few friends,
    working at something that made no sense,
    with people forty years younger,
    doing the hard work that kids refused to do.

    The toy factory was a destination
    after a twenty-mile trip
    through four seasons of northern Minnesota weather.
    Sometimes they laid us off when we got there
    due to ‘lack of work’.

    I’m retired now.
    And I’ve just now realized when my wife and I clash
    is when I’m facing a deadline of almost any sort
    and I’ve built-up defenses against it
    and I growl and she fusses
    and we fume.
    And she wonders why, aloud.

    And things subside after the deadline is met,
    and I’m allowed to go back to my unorganized activity
    of no real definition,
    and I can take pictures for no more reason
    than just to relive them later
    practicing an appreciation of beauty.







    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy buckets! You are inspired, man. This poem is a keeper. Once you told me to send one of my poems that you liked to "The New Yorker" magazine which I did. Now it's my turn to encourage you to do the same. JP Savage

      Delete
  2. The cat in the forest as mystery. Love it. This is the delight of the forest. I feel caged in darkness and in sounds I can hear but can't decipher. I love the forest as it is now - bare and visible before the green.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment