Skip to main content

Wannaska's Cafe 89

Hello and welcome to a super, sunny - yes even though it's winter - Saturday here at the Wannaskan Almanac. Today is February 22nd and if you write out the date numerically that is 2/22 or  2/22/2020, which you should totally write out because it is loads of fun.

A week ago, I ventured into the heart of Wannaska country to the little town of Wannaska itself. I don't get to Wannaska proper much, in fact, the last time I spent a significant amount of time there was already 2 years ago, when the WAKWIR and I went dumpster diving for some Tarzan books. (Oh, the things we do for the Wannaskan Almanac readers.) But I have driven through and every time I do, I eye that Cafe 89 and think, "Now that must be a nice place to stop."

On Valentine's Day, I had a literary gathering of sorts with Jack Pine Savage and Chairman Joe, and, since I was on the road, coincidentally after a stop at the Roseau County Transfer Station, thought I would get some work done on the computer and finally stop in and check out the cafe.

As soon as I stepped into the restaurant, all the chatter ceased as the locals eyed the newcomer. I figured it was the morning kaffeeklatsch.

*Gulp*

But knowing that small town folk are friendly enough, I grinned and said, "This is my first time here!" Bless their hearts, I imagine they didn't know whether to invite me to pull up a chair or scratch their heads and say, "Well, you don't see that everyday!"

The ladies in charge got me settled into a booth next to an outlet, I plugged in my computer, and turned it on. "What are you working on?" the server asked, as she poured me some coffee. A nice banter of chit chat followed in which I learned three things: the ladies were Shari Loken and Jacki Grindahl, the mother-daughter proprietresses of the cafe, that the Colossal skillet was the most popular breakfast item on the menu, and that they had never heard of the Wannaskan Almanac.

Colossal skillet breakfast


I was genuinely surprised. How could people in Wannaska not know about the almanac? Hadn't my Wannaskan counterparts told their nearest neighbors about our project? Hadn't they already written about the darling little Cafe 89? Apparently not. Which was a win-win for me as it guaranteed a topic for my next blog post and an opportunity to chide my fellow writers (good naturedly, of course.)

The restaurant is divided up into three sections. The west wing is what I call the "Memory Room" because that's where the locals display black and white wedding photos of loved ones of yesteryear. "This main area of the original building was a hotel and I’ve been told there was a restaurant down in the bottom," Shari, the mom part of the duo, explained. Shari pulled a photo from the wall of the original Hotel Torfin which was started by Mabel and Petra Torfin, another mother-daughter team.

Wedding photos in the "Memory Room"
Mabel & Petra, owners of Hotel Torfin


From a quick Google search, I learned that Torfin was a community in Palmville back in the day, named after Iver Torfin.

"TORFIN, a community in section 12 of Palmville; its post office, 1907-14, was named in honor of Iver Torfin, postmaster, a Norwegian pioneer and a farmer in that township. Torfin was born in 1863 in Iowa; came to the county in 1887; served as first clerk of court for Roseau County, 1895-1905; moved to Wannaska, where he was, among other positions, fire warden, 1911-18; and died in 1918. His wife, Petra, a former midwife, owned and operated the Torfin Hotel and Restaurant in Wannaska, 1915-25, and died in 1945." (Source)

Ole Iver has that Iowa bit in common with our own Wannaska Writer. Torfin (the community) also had a fire tower, a factoid carrot I will leave right here for my writerly counterparts to nibble on for any future blog posts.

The east wing of Cafe 89 used to be a bank and sometime in the '70s or '80s, the two wings were joined with a middle section that now includes the restrooms, a row of dining booths, and the kitchen.

Speaking of the kitchen, let's talk about the food. I ordered the Colossal and it did not disappoint. Jacki brought it out in a hot, black iron skillet. The hashbrowns provided a crispy bed while the melted cheese blanketed all the goodness in between: ham, sausages, vegetables, and eggs just the way I like them, with a side of whole wheat toast. It was a hearty meal, half of which I packed up and took home for the kids.

Homemade hamburger buns
The food is homemade-fare with a Saturday night smorgasbord of delicious dinner items like BBQ Ribs, Meatballs and Deep Fried Chicken, choice of potatoes, veggies, homemade dinner rolls,  a soup and salad bar, and dessert. Dad makes the soups.

When Jacki described the potato dumplings she makes, I felt hungry all over again even though I was stuffed. I told her I'd only ever had Czech ones, not Wannaska ones, and she promptly served me up a whole plate of dumplings the size of softballs to take home for the family. Between the remaining Colossal skillet and the dumplings, Valentine's dinner was ready and I didn't even have to cook. (The sweetest Valentine a mom could hope for.)

Going on seven years of ownership, Shari and Jacki bought the cafe after it had been closed for a year and a half. “Every time we moved a picture, we were washing and painting the walls. Whenever there was a hole, [the previous owners] would just cover it with a picture," Jacki said.

"We turned into everything when we bought this place," Shari said, continuing the story. "We turned into plumbers, electricians, carpenters. It was run down pretty bad. We learned how to mud, how to drywall - everything!"

And what a bang-up job they've done. Both wings are painted in a cheerful Bordeaux color. In the Memory Room, where they host banquets and large parties, they still had a Christmas tree standing, which I didn't think odd until Shari pointed it out (they kept it up for one more Christmas party) since my own Christmas tree is also up, its lights still blinking, warranting comments from the kids riding the school bus by our house every morning.

I wondered, did Wannaska ever have a heyday? You bet! Aside from the restaurant, there used to be gas station, a creamery, a bank, a hardware store, and the hotel.

So what's Wannaska like these days? "Wannaska is kind of a little booming town of its size because we have the mall over there (Lee’s), we have the gas station over there, and the restaurant over here."

Cafe 89, as it turns out, is not the heart of Wannaska, as I had assumed. No, that honor, the ladies insisted, goes to Lee's Store, which is hailed as the best small town mall a girl could ask for. Even Lee's website proclaims, "The oldest family run business in Roseau County since 1902." But, I say, let's give Cafe 89 some love too, eh? In honor of Petra and Mabel? And certainly for Shari and Jacki.

As quaint as Wannaska proper is, Skime, five miles south on highway 89, is apparently nothing to sneeze at. "Skime is God’s Country," Jacki, a Skime native, said. "Everybody helps each other out, if you’re building a house people pitch in, everybody watches out for each other."

No one knows the population of Skime (not even the Census Bureau), but it's on the map and that's good enough for my new friends. In Skime, people are born and raised and from that area. It's five miles wide and its grocery store is the central landmark. As Jacki described, "There's a mechanic two miles from the store, and on the other side of the store we used to have a plumber, then we’ve got an auto body guy who lives a half mile from the store, and then my husband’s another mechanic, and then we have carpenters."

Aside from the affection within this tight-knit community, my takeaway on Skime was this: If you need any home maintenance or auto repairs this is the place to find a good person for the job.

The ladies also have a cleaning business which brings them to Roseau on a daily basis. Did you hear that, folks? They own and operate, not one, but two businesses, proof positive just how enterprising small town people can be when you love living in God's country.

As I was packing up to head out for the rest of my day, Jacki shared that after I had come in, gotten settled, and while I was in the restroom, one of the kaffeeklatsch regulars commented, "Man she must be an outgoing person because she comes in and she just smiles. You can see those kinds of people coming from a mile away, but man, are they good to see!"

Awwww.....

Cafe 89 owners Shari & Jacki indulging me with a selfie

On This Day

Historic Highlights (credits)

2011 - 185 people are killed during an earthquake in Christchurch, New Zealand
The quake, while having a magnitude of only 6.3, had one of the highest intensities ever recorded in an urban area (MM IX).

1986 - The People Power Revolution begins in the Philippines
The nonviolent campaign resulted in the fall of President Ferdinand Marcos and the restoration of the country's democracy.

1983 - The play “Moose Murders” flops spectacularly on Broadway
According to critic Frank Rich, “a visit to Moose Murders is what will separate the connoisseurs of Broadway disaster from mere dilettantes for many moons to come.”

1948 - Czechoslovakia becomes a communist state following a coup d'etat
The country became a parliamentary republic following the non-violent “Velvet Revolution” in 1989 and was split into the Czech Republic and the Slovak Republic in 1993.

1879 - The first Woolworth store opens in Utica, New york
Frank Woolworth's five-and-dime retail stores became one of the world's most successful trading companies with branches in many countries around the world.

Happy Birthday to You!🎶 

1975 - Drew Barrymore, American actress, director, producer, screenwriter

1932 - Ted Kennedy, American politician

1900 - Luis Buñuel, Spanish director, producer

1857 - Heinrich Hertz, German physicist

1732 - George Washington, American general, politician, 1st President of the United States

Remembering You

1987 - Andy Warhol, American artist

1983 - Adrian Boult, English conductor

1958 - Abul Kalam Azad, Indian activist, scholar, politician

1943 - Sophie Scholl, German student, activist

1875 - Jean-Baptiste-Camille Corot, French painter

Stop in at that next small town cafe you drive by, enjoy a homemade meal, and make it a great Saturday!

Kim

"To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe." - Anatole France


Comments

  1. There isn't enough room for my comment should I get going on how much advertising about Wannaska and it's three primary businesses, plus its school, church, and rink, Wannaska writers have done over the past 26+ years, beginning with THE RAVEN: Northwest Minnesota's Original Art, History & Humor Journal, until its retirement in 2018, and the beginning of the Wannaskan Almanac. I could list them by title, but like I say, there isn't enough room.

    I've advertised the Wannaskan Almanac, on the cafe entry bulletin board, ever since WA was conceived, tacking numerous attention-getting WANNASKAN ALMANAC website address slips there so people could take one if they wanted; we've even stuck the bar code there for people to quickly scan with their cellphones should they be interested.

    There's a large metal SQUIRT sign on the east end of the cafe that either THE RAVEN or Palmville Press & Publishing, Inc., donated to Cafe 89; it says so, somewhere on it. As THE RAVEN, we even published Cafe 89 issue copies for customer perusal; like THE RAVEN, they weren't done on a regular basis, but the effort was made a few times. Plus, for free, we advertised all the Wannaska businesses and one or two in Skime.

    Now, I don't pretend to know everything about Wannaska, or even the surrounding area, but it struck a chord with me when you wrote Torfin was in Palmville Township; I believe it's in Golden Valley, right across Highway 89 from Palmville, on the north side of Roseau River. Further research, indicates that the Torfin post office was indeed, in Palmville, but the Torfin School, District 44E, was in Golden Valley.

    As far as that fire tower I have a photograph of it, as well as the Torfin School, that by some chance, happens to be on my desk here as I type.

    Iver Torfin is buried in the Palmviile Cemetery, in the SW 1/4 of Section 2, in Palmville. It would take me about fifteen minutes to walk to his gravesite as the cemetery is nearby. A few seconds, one way or another, and we'd find Edwin Evans, a Civil War veteran who lived the last fifteen or so years or his life with the Torfins, who virtually saved his life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s a shame and a disgrace that the WA isn’t read daily by its eponymous citizens. I hope that doesn’t mean citizens of the WA of which there are six. They of course relish it daily.
    There used to be a billboard on the north end of Wannaska. It blew over part way in the big wind of (help me out here WW) and was eventfully removed. I suggest it be replaced with one of those electronic billboards you see in the metropolis. It could have a flashing teaser on it from the day’s Almanac post.
    I don’t think the state’s Arts and Culture Fund would hesitate to grant the Almanac the money to cover this needed structure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Torfin is Richard’s mother’s maiden name. So Iver Torfin would be his great grandfather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aye. Peggy's parents were Irving & Esther Torfin, correct?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment