Skip to main content

WAKWIR: The End of the School Year!

School is over. Finally. After nine long months, the really weird 2020-2021 school year has come to a close with some good and some not-so-good things. Starting off with the good things that came with the end of the school year, is grades. With a distanced learning-free trimester, I can firmly prove my theory right. I do better in school in person rather than online. I can take a few days, like when I was sick in April, but long periods of time like what we had to do during the first and second trimester, I can't deal with. Now the evidence that supports my theory shows that the first trimester (the trimester with the most distance learning) I had the worst grades. In the second trimester (the trimester with less distance learning) I had slightly better grades. And the third trimester (the trimester with no distance learning) I had the best grades. Including speech, which was, for me, the hardest class.

Now some unfortunate things also happened. The week before school ended, I was eating a radish and, as I bit into it, my fake tooth fell out. My mom couldn't call the dentist because it was Friday, but rest assured, I soon got a new one and I am mostly back to normal. It’s not exactly the easiest to get a new tooth and to proceed with life as usual because you have to get used to that new tooth. 

Another exciting thing that happened to me this past week is that I got my vaccine. World Update: There's been a pandemic going on for over a year now, and a few months ago a vaccine was made, and a few weeks ago it was approved for people that are young like me. Two days ago I got my first dose. Yay! 

One thing that’s hard to grasp though is the fact that school is over. For some reason, it just feels like it’s too good to be true. I’m used to really full and stressful days that usually go way past midnight. Now, I have literally no idea what to do with myself. I don’t have many summer plans except for driver's ed and some summer camps, but other than that, I don’t really have much else to do other than to just spend some time outside and enjoy the summer. :)

I hope you all have a wonderful spring and summer, and I will see you soon!

David, aka WAKWIR (Wannaskan Almanac Kid Writer-in-Residence)


On This Day

Historic Highlights (credits)

1999 - Olusegun Obasanjo wins Nigeria's first free elections in 16 years
The former Nigerian Army general and military ruler oversaw a democratization process that defines the country's political system to the present day.

1996 - Benjamin Netanyahu becomes Israel's prime minister
The conservative politician is criticized for hampering the peace process that former prime minister, Yitzhak Rabin, had promoted.

1953 - Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay conquer Mount Everest
The first successful ascent of the world's highest mountain came after Tom Bourdillon and Charles Evans had come within 100 meters of the summit just three days previously.

1942 - Bing Crosby records White Christmas
Crosby's rendition of Irving Berlin's song became the most successful of his career and the best-selling Christmas single in history.

1913 - Igor Stravinsky's ballet Le Sacre du printemps is premiered
The performance sparked a riot in the audience as many felt its irregular beat and the percussive character was a sacrilege against music. Today, it is considered one of the key works of 20th-century art music.
Happy Birthday to You!🎶 

1984 - Carmelo Anthony, American basketball player

1967 - Noel Gallagher, English singer-songwriter, guitarist

1922 - Iannis Xenakis, Greek/French composer, engineer, theorist

1917 - John F. Kennedy, American lieutenant, politician, 35th President of the United States

1914 - Tenzing Norgay, Nepalese mountaineer

Remembering You

2013 - Henry Morgentaler, Polish/Canadian physician

2010 - Dennis Hopper, American actor, director

1997 - Jeff Buckley, American singer-songwriter, guitarist

1892 - Bahá'u'lláh, Persian spiritual leader, founded the Bahá'í Faith

1829 - Humphry Davy, English chemist, physicist

Celebrate your graduates and make it a great Saturday!

Kim 



Comments

  1. You have an idle idyll ahead to enjoy.
    Next summer you'll be working. No more kid stuff. You'll be WAYAWIR (young adult).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment