Skip to main content

Wannaskan Almanac for December 8, 2020 Deny the Norse and Swedish Invasion!

Are you sick of Christmas meals that only include meatballs, lutefisk, lefse, and giant potato nuggets with sugar on them?  



Well, you aren't alone.  Most of the items above are edible, but this year I would like to suggest something different.  From the highlands of the world's greatest red-headed country (after Ireland) I present to you...Haggis!




If the pictures and cartoon didn't dissuade you (I have enjoyed haggis, quite good!) then you can try them with this recipe.  

But maybe you want to try something else.  You could go with a Christmas Grouse with Berry Sauce (Jólarjúpa með Berjasósu).  That, of course, is from Iceland.  Iceland is known for being much greener than Greenland.  Greenland is know for being much icier than Iceland.  And neither of them is much known for the delicacies.  


I will have to admit that I have never tried this.  It does look good though.  Food on a plate.  Very posh!  Here is a recipe for Christmas Grouse with Berry Sauce if you are interested.  

One final try...a trio of foods.  
Mango and sticky rice, made with fresh coconut cream.
Pork belly braised in 5 spice broth with soft cooked egg and fried tofu.
Salt crust fish stuffed with lemongrass and served with dipping sauce.

If you guessed that those three foods would make a nice Thai themed Christmas meal then you get my congratulations.  Get the recipes here.  


Of course, I always manage to eat almost everything on my plate.  Except the lutefisk.  I just can't do it!

Comments


  1. Thanks for the suggestions. We’re lucky to live in grouse county. Coveys of them are constantly exploding out of nowhere. I don’t know how they’re ever brought to the plate.
    When we went to Scotland I was determined ti try haggis, but I was on the plane home before I knew it. Maybe next time.
    I give you credit for at least trying lutefisk. My thought on my only attempt was that I prefer my jelly made from grapes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aye laddie, you'd eat sheep pluck before you would lutefisk? Are you daft, man? You'd prefer to eat sheep lungs (with phlegm still inside), liver (with abundant lively flukes), kidneys (with a good volume of you-know-what), and heart bits (broken when the animal was chosen for slaughter), all stuffed inside the old sheep's stomach (elderly beware, these are trying times), and slowly roasted over an open fire (or propane grill on your deck)? Surely, you didn't t'row away its brains, I understand they're great as chip dip.

    So what you're clearly stating here, in fact, to the whole world, is your sweet mother-in-law, bless her soul, in Palmville Township, doesn't make the greatest lutefisk in cream sauce in all of Minnesota? AND, although its painstakingly made with love for her family, including the likes of you - you've chosen to eat Scottish shite instead? There'll be no Christmas present for you under the tree this year! (The lump of coal you usually get, you tosser!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment