Skip to main content

WAKWIR: Hair

Welcome back everyone to another blog and today, on this lovely but sad Saturday. Today is August 29th.

Now, you may be wondering: “Why are you sad? You have no reason to be sad.” Well, it's sad, because today, my very bushy, long, experimental hair is getting cut. Now this is both a good and bad thing. Why? Well, see, I like having it long, because I don't like haircuts. But the trade off is that if it gets too long it gets annoying. Since I’m running in cross country again, having long hair is a curse. See the reason why is because when you are running, your hair usually bobs up and down, and in my case it's over three inches long so it reaches into my eyes. So when it bobs up and down, my sweat-filled hair constantly gets in my eyes, and makes my eyes hurt. This can be easily fixed by having some kind of headband, but it usually falls off or makes my head feel tight.

Now it wasn't just me that wanted my hair cut. A couple of my friends also agreed that I should have it cut. On the other hand, my whole family wanted me to keep it long. It took me weeks of constantly asking my mom if she could cut it. She kept saying no. Last week I was scheduled to write a blog post and because I was really busy, I couldn't do it so my mom said if I wanted my hair cut, I would have to promise to write a post. So, I probably will have the next post be about experiences with a fresh new haircut and new school appearances. But other than that, I started a Twitch channel, (@wowserb) and I have been streaming Minecraft for about an hour a day, so you can check me out there. My older sister left almost a week ago for college and the house has been in a much crazier state than usual. When I was cutting the grass, all I heard from my younger siblings was screaming.(Not screaming in terror,  but in their general play style.)

 I wish everyone a wonderful Saturday!

 WAKWIR

aka David

aka Dave

aka Wannaskan Almanac Kid Writer-in-Residence




On This Day

Historic Highlights (credits)

1988 - Abdul Mohmand becomes the first person from Afghanistan to Visit Space
Mohmand, an Afghan Air Force pilot was a crew member of the Soyuz TM-6, a Soviet spacecraft. He was in space for 9 days, which were spent at the Mir Space Station.

1982 - Meitnerium is Synthesized for the First time
The radioactive synthetic element with an atomic number of 109 and the symbol Mt was first created at the GSI Helmholtz Centre for Heavy Ion Research, Darmstadt, Germany. Named after Austrian physicist and discoverer of nuclear fission, Lise Meitner, the element, which is not found naturally, was discovered by a team headed by Peter Armbruster and Gottfried Münzenberg.

1966 - Beatles’ Last Commercial Performance
Popular British rock group, the Beatles, played their last live concert in front of a paying public at Candlestick Park in San Francisco, California. The band came together one last time for an unannounced performance in January 1969 on the rooftop of the Apple building in London.

1949 - Soviet Union Tests its First Atomic Bomb
Code named Izdeliye 501 or First Lightening, the 22 kiloton atomic bomb was detonated at the Semipalatinsk Test Site in Kazakhstan. It is thought that the bomb was a replica of the Fat Man bomb, the plans for which were brought to USSR by spies at the Manhattan project. The US called the Soviet bomb, Joe-1.

1931 - Michael Faraday Discovers Electromagnetic Induction
Michael Faraday experimentally demonstrated that a changing magnetic field can induce a voltage in a conductor. The discovery of electromagnetic induction helped in the creation of electric generators, transformers, and even induction cook tops. An English scientist, Faraday was a prolific researcher and inventor. In addition to discovering electromagnetic induction, he also discovered Benzene and electrolysis. The farad, an International System of Units (SI) measurement of a capacitance – the ability of an object to hold an electric charge was named after Faraday.

Happy Birthday to You!🎶 

1958 - Michael Jackson, American singer-songwriter, producer, dancer, actor

1936 - John McCain, American politician

1923 - Richard Attenborough, English director

1915 - Ingrid Bergman, Swedish actress

1632 - John Locke, English philosopher, physician

Remembering You

1982 - Ingrid Bergman, Swedish actress

1976 - Kazi Nazrul Islam, Indian flute player, poet

1975 - Éamon de Valera, Irish politician, 3rd President of Ireland

1966 - Sayyid Qutb, Egyptian theorist, author, poet

1877 - Brigham Young, American religious leader 2nd President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

Make it a great Saturday!

Kim



Comments

  1. Dear WAKWIR - I understand your dilemma. Just before I earned by Shodan (first degree black belt) in Aikido, I promised myself that if I passed the test, I would cut my hair off. At the time, my hair reached to the middle of my back, and if I dare say myself, was quite beautiful. I was torn between vanity and a promise to myself. In the end, my husband cut it off for me. And I mean CUT! You see, he too, had hair down to the middle of his back, but had recently cut it. (Long story) He gave himself a butch cut, but I told him I wasn't looking for that much cutting. So, he started by taking my long ponytail in his left hand and a large scissors in his right and - RIP - SNIP - it was gone. (I still have both of our ponytails - no, not gross). I still miss my long hair, but it was time to go short, and now that I'm an elder, it suits me well. Just sayin'. Hi to the usual Saturday poster.

    ReplyDelete

  2. Two days after I joined the Navy, all my hair got shaved off. It was shocking yet liberating. We left behind civilian life. Weirdly enough, a year later, the Navy began allowing beards. I grew one but didn’t think it looked good so I shaved it off. A woman I worked with said, “You look worse.” I haven’t shaved since.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment