Skip to main content

Time Tricks

Hello and welcome to another Saturday here at the Wannaskan Almanac. Today is July 11th.

We kicked off Saturday with a round of The Game of Life and ice cream cones for breakfast which pretty much sums up the kind of week we've had.

This past week, we had a lot of first-time-in-a-while firsts. Hubby and the WAKWIR headed to Idaho for a mountain sortie, the older teens anticipated working night shift and overtime plus visits from their Laketrails friends (all Laketrails programming was cancelled due to you-know-what), which left me pretty much solo with the littles who both had swimming lessons. It's been awhile, so let the adventures begin.

Monday set the tone, as I hitched the bike trailer to my bike and we biked (instead of drove) to swimming lessons. The Second Grader didn't complain once about the daily, 6-mile round trip trek. (But then again, this is the same kid who hiked 11 miles in the mountains when she was 6.) After swimming lessons, we had delightfully weird things for dinner like homemade watermelon sorbet and s’mores. I made my first fire (without hubby help) in the outdoor fire ring. We ventured out to the forest to check on the blueberries. (They’re ready!) The littles and I all moved in (temporarily) to the boys’ bedroom so we could sleep in one room together. (None of us wanted to be alone in our respective bedrooms.) We dove back into the first book, The Capture, in the Guardians of Ga’Hoole series, reading for several chapters until kids fell asleep. One night, storytime included popcorn.The Second Grader picked up Harry Potter of her own freewill. I baked fresh bread two days in a row. When the Laketrails teens finally arrived, I cooked an improvised, big midday meal and we all sat outside and feasted.

Last night, the littles and I watched videos of how ice cream cones are made (prompted by our yummy treat) and went on to learn how gum, marbles, and crayons are made. After that, we watched videos about owls including the different species we've encountered so far in Guardians of Ga'Hoole and about how owls poop and yarp. We even turned learning Czech into a game by using Duolingo. The Toddler surprisingly rocked out the translations.

Duolingo: DÄ›ti nepijou víno.
Toddler: Kids don't drink wine!

He not only knows the Czech word for wine, but for beer as well which, given dad's hobby, makes sense. (Note: It's pivo.)

As the three of us worked together to accomplish another Duolingo achievement, the Toddler said, "I like spending time together like this."

I marveled at both the sentiment and the ability to articulate it.

I ruffled his hair and pulled him closer. Finally, we were experiencing some semblance of what makes summer a summer.

During our next "sleepover," I looked at the Toddler in the middle of the night, relished his little person-ness and thought, I will miss this. I will miss his being small after he grows up. This just might be the first time I have had such a feeling. (Or perhaps another first-time-in-a-long-while first.) Maybe it’s because the Toddler is the last one. The last of the littles for real-real. In that moment, I had a better understanding about why grandparents are so tender and quick to scoop up the littles as if they are precious cargo. For quite possibly the first time ever since my mothering journey began, I don’t want childhood to speed up, hurry up, or to get through it faster. I'm okay with the Toddler staying little for as long as he can endure it. It is absolutely fine.

I've renewed an effort to hold on tight to the Second Grader, too – to stop time and really see her. What does my 8-year-old girl look like? What is inside her? This week, as we biked and read and played, I cleared out my busy brain and really watched. Up close, I stared deep into her dark brown eyes like I used to do to my own reflection when I was her age.

Summer might be feeling like a blank slate with all the normally scheduled adventures and programs cancelled, but a magical week like this – a trick that holds time still – well, I'm feeling pretty grateful.

On This Day

Historic Highlights (credits)

2010 - FIFA World Cup Final is held in Johannesburg, South Africa
The Netherlands and Spain fought out for the prestigious football trophy. Spain won the match 1-0 and the 2010 FIFA World Cup.

2006 - Mumbai train bombings
Over 200 people were killed and about 700 people were injured in a series of bombings on Mumbai city trains.

1960 - To Kill a Mockingbird is first published as Atticus
Harper Lee's classic and Pulitzer Prize-winning book is about racial inequality during the Great Depression.

1914 - Major League Baseball debut of Babe Ruth
George Herman "Babe" Ruth, Jr., one of the world's most well-known professional baseball player started his major league baseball career with the Boston Red Sox.

1804 A duel between two leading American politicians claims the life of one
United States Vice President Aaron Burr and former Secretary of the Treasury Alexander Hamilton ended a life-long feud with a duel. Hamilton was fatally wounded and died the next day.

Happy Birthday to You!🎶 

1986 - Yoann Gourcuff, French footballer

1975 - Lil' Kim, American rapper, actress

1916 - Gough Whitlam, Australian politician, 21st Prime Minister of Australia

1767 - John Quincy Adams, American politician, 6th President of the United States

1274 - Robert the Bruce, Scottish king

Remembering You

2010 - Bob Sheppard, American sportscaster

2007 - Lady Bird Johnson, American wife of Lyndon B. Johnson, 38th First Lady of the United States

1998 - Panagiotis Kondylis, Greek writer, translator

1989 - Laurence Olivier, English actor, director, producer

472 - Anthemius, Roman Emperor

Slow down till times stops and make it a great Saturday!

Kim


Comments

  1. Been waitin' for your post today. Good to see it. Wow! what a time was had by all in the semi-empty HH house. Sounds like you made the most of it, to be sure.
    A & L are two lucky lucky mini-adults. How great to want to see and be seen. Who could ask for more? This is, in my opinion, your best "family" post ever. No wonder you are feeling grateful. JP Savage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! While I aim to schedule my posts in advance, all too often, I'm finding that my Friday nights and Saturday mornings end up informing the piece. :) I've been doing some different kind of writing which appears to be working if you consider this one of my best family pieces. I'm humbled by your praise. Thank you with all my being.

      Delete
  2. As a new grandfather again (a granddaughter already six weeks old whom I haven't held yet) and being a dad to her wonderful mother, all your sentiments ring true especially " ... relished his little person-ness and thought, I will miss this. I will miss his being small ... "

    We have a large photograph, hanging on the entry wall over the basement stairs that greets a person whenever they come into the house, of Bonny just a smilin', when she was maybe six, I'm not sure of her age, confidently sitting on her bicycle along our rural farm lane. And I've often lamented her 'disappearance' from my midst, feelin' almost guilty that as her dad I don't know where she's gone nor ever remember her leavin'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel your bittersweet nostalgia! We have been saying that we need to get an 8x10 of the Second Grader on top of the mountain she hiked when she was 6. She looked so fierce. Confident and determined. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete

Post a Comment