Skip to main content

Squibs




Schlepping skillets of bacon fat, goblets of wine, how is my life, relatively speaking, any less stressful than that of an astronaut docking the space lab?

Maybe you really do know it all. Congratulations. But to keep the conversation going, pretend the other guy knows a thing or two as well.

I've been keeping a diary since my twenties. The lockdown has given me a chance to go back and write the prequels. "Year One: I am born."

At the pyramid's base are those who think only of themselves. At the peak, the handful who think only of others. The rest of us scramble up and down, trying not to be buried with Pharaoh.

Sometimes it makes sense to say, "It is what it is." But it's so last standish.

Blood, like money, is not to be wildly dispersed or sought for its own sake, but channeled where it's needed most.


Chairman Joe 

Comments

  1. Great Goodness, you are beyond your usual profundity this morning. Some of these Squibs are meant for "the ages."

    "Year One: I am Born" brings to mind Song One of "The One," - "Dark Waters." I would give much to read more of that entry of yours.

    Your astronaut: Have you watched "Space Force"? It resembles your Squib.

    And finally, who is that guy who can't "keep the conversation going"? I hope never to meet that person at a social gathering. Of course, in this time of quarantine, I would have to wait a while anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mid-life crises are a luxury compared with end-of-life crises.
    Margaret Drabble

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment