Skip to main content

6 May 19 - The One – “Song 4: Separation” Segment 4

What is it that draws people together? Pulls them apart? Can the initial attraction of any relationship last? What cause it to continue or terminate? At this point in our narrative, we are not going to know for sure when it comes to our three characters (to date) – the protagonist, Jani, and the teacher. One might cheer for the teacher, or contrarily, hope that Jani’s way will influence the situations at hand. Regardless, what has been a modest, youthful narrative suddenly blossoms into adventurous shenanigans. . . . Or are the exploits more than that? See for yourself.


Song 4 – Segment 4 of “Separation”

I call out and Jani strides to meet me.
“I’m surprised you waited for me, Jani.”
“Oh, there was nothing else to do right now.”
            (Fortunately, seeing Jani stand there
                        stanches my tears – dried deep behind my eyes
            If Jani notices anything wrong
                        no words rise to name it or question me)
“Well, what’d the old man have to say to you?”
Jani asks as we walk toward the edge of town
“He talked of birds!” I say with mocking tone
(I do not want to talk of sparrows’ hearts)
“Birds!?” Jani says scrunching nose, crumpling brow
“Yeah. That’s all,” I say and Jani drops it



We grab at weeds along the Outskirts Road.
I assume – but do not ask – that Jani
is not expected home – the same as me
I decide to press again on Jani
“So, why did you wait for me by that tree?”
“I thought we could do something fun – maybe—
if there is such a thing in this dull town.”
“Just what did you have in mind for us now?”
“Well, I like to climb. Where I come from, we
had high bridges over rivers, and hills
to sit up high and look for miles and miles.”
I think hard because Chickopee is laid  
out flat and boring as a tabletop
            (Somehow pleasing Jani feels important)
“There is a lookout tower over there,” 
I say then quickly add, “but we are not 
supposed to climb up on it anyway.”
“Just the thing,” clucks Jani, eyes brightening now
“I’ve climbed it once or twice,” I lie to hide
the fear prickling up my neck.  “But someone’s
there now until sunset, Then it’s too late.”
            (I’m sure I’ve wiggled out of Jani’s trap.)
“We can wait and, in the meantime, we can
make a kite and tail to fly from the top.”
“A kite? That’s something a kid would play with.”
“You leave that part to me. Come on! Let’s go!”
Jani turns back toward town trotting briskly
            (I might as well see what happens I think
            as I lope stride-for-stride beside my friend)
As we enter village roads, Jani looks
from side to side conjuring the kite parts
Now stealthy as a stalking cat, Jani
bends forward, runs ‘longside a windowed house
I follow slinking.  At the back, some clothes
and rags are strung out on a line to dry
In a flash, Jani pulls a three-inch knife
and with the quickness of a practiced thief
slits the line – wads the bundle under arm.
With less sound than riffled leaves, we’re away

I can’t believe what we have done in less
time than I could even think, and we’re away
from the thieving place, I stare slack-jawed, shocked
at Jani’s determined, untroubled face
A mile out, slowing to a trotting gait
I’m still dumbfounded at what we have done
“What’s the matter?” Jani asks sincerely
“Oh nothing!” I say sarcastically. “ ‘Cept 
we’ve just transformed into thieves and I think
my father knows the people in that house.”
“First time, eh?” Jani’s grin slides through thin lips.
“Well . . . yes,” I say for that’s the truth of it
“Don’t worry,” says the thief, “You’ll get used to it.”
“If you say so,” I taunt and sneer. “But tell
me how can we make a kite out of that!?”
“Watch and learn,” crows the experienced teacher

We leave the path and hide behind a shed
Jani wields the knife and with expert strokes
slashes the cloth into long ragged strips
The sound of splitting shirts tears at my heart
I say nothing of my thoughts: My father
could have worn that shirt.  A poorer friend used
those rags.  The waste of it sours my gut, but
I only think and watch and sit with this.
Jani fashions an ugly kite complete
with crippled tail.  “Won’t ever fly, “I warn 
“Maybe not,” says this sometimes-honest thief
“Let’s go see.  Where’s this dangerous tower of yours?”
“That way,” I say pointing west where the sun’s
already half behind the trees.  “Come on.”

Now I’m the one who shepherds us onward
My leaden feet keep moving toward what’s next
Soon we stand beneath the wooden tower
No one else there in the deepening darkness
“Since you’ve climbed before, you go ahead up.”
“All right,” and I grab the wobbly ladder
My hands sweat and slip and my heart races
Half-way up my knees start to shake.  I stop.
Below, I see Jani has the harder 
climb lugging line and tattered cloth – kite tail
trailing down. This doesn’t seem to trouble
Jani whose gleaming eyes spark above white
teeth clamped down and holding the three-inch knife
We reach the platform at the top where night’s
cool breeze plays stronger than on ground – my breath
short, and rapid – my ears on stems for shouts
from below, but I can’t hear over my 
panting and my heart pounding in my ears.

Jani, on the other hand, appears fresh
 – exhilarated – hair tousled wildly
The energy’s contagious and my crime
takes on smaller shape as I let fall free
my guilt, a small dead bird, from this tower
“Hey, this is great!” chirps Jani.  “Almost like
the view back home.  Well . . . add some mountains and
a bigger river running down valleys . . .
well . . . it is not the same but I don’t care!”

I am silent at the expanse of land
sprawling out around.  I have never seen
half so much before and it makes me see
that I’ve been right about this town of mine
It’s even smaller than I thought it was
the lights pale sputtering flames ending day
the house I live in somewhere in that gray
            Roads invisible –  sound all gone away
How can I live constrained to this tight place?
wind skittering through leaving crumbled yellow
dust, when I belong on the deep green sea?
I feel sticky tongues darting out to catch
me – the bug– sliding down a long dark throat . . .

“Help me!” Jani says, untangling cloth and line.”
I’ve lost interest in the kite at this point
but I’m not going anywhere alone
and Jani is shrouded like a mummy 
in the kite commotion so I bend down 
sit on the platform and unwind the toy
Soon we have it straight and it’s time to sail
We pay out line across the wood railing
kite wings nothing like white sails in my dreams
this kid’s toy a poor tattered used up thing
that flops and gasps like a gutted fish

“Come on, Jani.  Grow up. There’s more than this.”
“Just wait! Just wait. the breeze is coming up!”
Jani wags the dangling kite – a long-shed
snake’s skin, a shade of life but after death
“Come on.  Let’s go.”  I start down the steep steps
“Wait! There it goes!” Jani waggles harder
so hard the streamers catch the tower’s brace
and clutch it like a frightened kid clinging
tightly to his mother’s gray-skirted leg

“Oh shit!” stamps Jani. “Now I’ll have to use
my knife.” I see this is a happy thing
as under the guardrail Jani swings down
clambering catlike, the kite-freer, unafraid
clamps knife between teeth again and grabs out
horizontally making for the brace
“Watch out!” I feel compelled to shout although
a fall now might improve this thieving day
No response from Jani now clinging to
the crossbar and cutting twine – reaching ‘round
to unwrap it – now a high-wire rodent 
Jani hugs the rigid pole and sliding
to the next support as I reach the ground
I look to see if I can help from here
but I am shaking for my own safety
not for Jani, slashing like a banshee
sailor freeing shrouds and sails from off dark
timbers standing tall against rowdy winds
I cannot help but wish I were Jani
so wild, so free – with knife between white teeth
slicing shroudsfrom off the standing rigging
            and I –cowardly grounded down below

Halfway down Jani steps on a crossbar
            a crack – a break – the wooden finger’s rotten
                        and Jani a sudden stone falling fast
                        kite tail in both hands – knife thuds beside me
Jani dangling like a deep-hooked sea fish
                        slamming hard against the upright tower pole
Cold sweat shiver-beads, sliding down my back
            as I – safe and helpless – watch my dangling 
friend who descends again, swift and thrilling
                        fearless insect clasping tower with legs and arms
                        ‘round the steady mast of the wooden pole

I inhale hard as I see disaster
coming, and Jani again but slower
more descending to where I stand waiting
among the tatters of the kite come down
Jani reaches ground breathing hard, sweat-soaked
shirt and bleeding hands that reach down quickly
for the three-inch knife as for a diamond
“That was great!” gasps Jani trembling lower lip
“Yea, why not die today,” I say half envious
“Don’t be a sparrow!” the reply half spit

As we head back into town, thrilled and tired
I want so much to be my daring friend
who climbs dangerous towers and who does not fear
a violent pitch into sudden darkness
who lives wild as if breath will never end

Background
What would youth be without risk-taking? The very nature of adolescence is one of exploration and discovery. At this age, we can’t really help ourselves from frequently walking on the thin edge between exhilaration and disaster. That said, our two characters have quite different perspectives on risk – a long spectrum, if you will. In the segment above, Jani’s knife symbolizes all this and more. The knife is an ancient weapon – perhaps the oldest other than fists. It carries an aura of the primitive and the savage. Jani carries one proudly and is unafraid to use it.

The comparative lack of italicized lines has something to say: although young people dream, their dreams tend to be passionately diverse and in the present moment. It isn’t easy to hang onto the stories of adventure we’ve had or that we’ve told ourselves when very, very young, because entering adulthood’s nascency, places one on the cusp between childish fantasy and youth’s dreams.

The segment finishes Song 4, which will soon be added here with the previous Songs from The One. Its contents have taken us almost a year to navigate. Life is short, sweet, long and terrible. So is this Song.

Exploration #1: Why does Jani wait around while the teacher meets with the other student? What does Jani need?

Exploration #2: Why is the teacher willing to spend extra time with the two students? Why does Jani decline the invitation? What is happening with the main character as the relationship with the teacher deepens?

Exploration #3: What do Jani’s kite-making and tower-jumping say about an attitude toward life and risk? Why do you think this is so?

Exploration #4: Another, more subtle, theme addresses hometowns. What is the difference between the main character’s and Jani’s view of Chickopee? Do you remember your hometown? Maybe you are still in it? If so, what has kept you here? If not, how do you remember that place?

NEXT: SONG 5 – “Threshing” – SEGMENT 1 – Things Never Stay the Same . . . 














Comments


  1. Jani is too rambunctious to listen to the teacher. She needs a warden.
    I think any good teacher would spend time with an interested student.
    The narrator sees her town as boring. Jani finds the fun that's available everywhere. She indicates she's from an elsewhere with mountains and rivers. I'm still in my elsewhere; living in a Boston ex-exurb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not surprised that you have parsed Jani's character so well. You two appear to have not-being-bored in your blood, as well as the chutzpah for wacky adventures. Two reasons why I love ya'! I also know about the elsewhere; for me, that would be San Diego. Imagine that!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment