Skip to main content

13 May 19 - The One – Song 5: Threshing, Segment 1

Relationships change, deepen, and explode in this first segment of Song 5: Threshing. If you’ve ever seen a threshing machine at work, you know that it has a revolving mechanism whose purpose is to separate grain from the rest of the plant. Again, as in the prior Song, a separation, literally, which also occurs in this Song. Whatever is separated must have been whole to start with, and it is that remembered wholeness that can break hearts. 

The main character, the teacher, and Jani continue their paths together and apart, and near the end of this segment a new person takes the stage. Our story begins to heat up. Dialogue pervades the action. The game is afoot. Prepare for adventure over the coming weeks.



Song 5: Threshing – Segment 1

I know what it is to walk
                                    in a dark, tight space
                                    in a thin, pale town
                                    where even the wind races to be through
                                    and leaves not so much as dust behind
                        I have run to the sea
                                    but still I fear I will be
                                    sucked back – swallowed again
                                    down that long dark throat
                                    a canal with no light at the end

                        I re-member that place
                                    straining to be a town
                                    its pale ejaculations can never 
                                                form a fevered bed firing dreams of light
                                                never a fertile spore alive and bright 
                                    Instead its spectral shimmers
                                                pass unseen and spread spent seed
                                                to sprout and die in breeding beds 
                                    that drove me toward shore through water and ice
                                    over rigid marshes and crackling reeds
                                                leaving the sterile land of stone
                                    pushing off           sailing on           at least alone

                        Over my shoulder I look back
                                    toward the wave-beat shore
                                    to waving hands
                                                high over feet lost in hot sand
                                                feet that have never left that monochrome shore

                        Over the gray hands I see
                                    shadows of things left behind
                                                books, pressed flowers, a song
                                                            a name gone faint on the wind
                                    leaving no melody to honey my mind

                        Over the rim to open water
                                    no shore             only light in two shades
                                                crystal water refracts and splinters light below
                                    above the circling water rim
                                                            iciclestars’ dim white glow

The next morning, our old teacher seems dull
and none the better for the night whereas
we have robbed, cheated death, and lived to tell 
Here, the teacher voices cheerily 
lessons with such melody and brightness
that I’m torn between this peaceful graybeard
and the green-eyed outrider with no fear

Tonight I don’t stop to see the teacher
but instead go with Jani once again
Still I wish I could tear myself in two
and be with both – one to hold my heartache
                                          one to slash the rules and show what is fake

In three days, I stay once again to see
the teacher who as before hums a tune
and waits for me to say what I’m wanting
“It’s me again,” I say.  He whirls around
as if he hasn’t noticed me at all  
we both know he has but choose to ignore 
“Glad to see you,” he says brightly – no more
“Something happened,” I try to spark his interest
“Oh?” says he and maddeningly waits for me
“On the tower.”
“Ooooooh!” Now I certainly have his interest 
But again he waits for me to go on
“I saw something when I climbed to the top.”
“I am not surprised. It is quite a view.”
 “How do you know!? You have not been up there.”
“Oh, I climbed it more than once in my youth.”
I am startled but also encouraged
“It’s a very tempting place, don’t you think?”
He says this quietly like a secret 
            I suppose it is but I am doubting
            that he has really climbed it, so I ask
“What did you see when you reached the very top?”
“I saw my future,” he says seriously
“Me too,” I say in a voice so small it
is a feather falling from that tower
            Jani falling fast beside it – nearing
                        brightness like a star between dark storm clouds
                                    then a feather rising on wispy wind
                                                farther off        floating down              toward ground again
“I’d like to hear more if you want to say”
            (I don’t know why but it feels safe to tell)
“When I was up there everything below
got small, shrunk way down – I could hardly see.
I know for sure this town looked like a speck –
even smaller than I thought it would be.”
“Yes, I remember seeing that. What else?”
“At the same time everything felt bigger
and so did I. It reminded me of 
            the dreams I have when I can really fly.”
“Those dreams are wonderful!” he says and I
am once more amazed that he knows this too
“What else?” He leans toward me. He wants to know.
            (And I want to tell him this and much more
             Things I‘ve never told anyone before)
“When I was a kid, I used to believe
that I could fly – even when I was awake –
like a dream but better ‘cause I’m alert”
I stop to see his reaction.  Will he
             think I’m lying?  Will he make fun and laugh?

“Why did you stop just now?” is all he asks
            I pull back and raise my eyebrows.  I don’t 
             remember stopping.  I just don’t recall
He sees my trouble and tries to help me
“Tell me about the last time that you flew.”
“Okay,” I say reaching back claws and wings
I close my eyes and see blue – then black and
bits of color that seem alive – focus
harder I tell myself – a transparent
wing spreads out – black-veined from deep blue body
“The blue dragonfly!” I shout.  “I see him!”
“So beautiful,” sighs my teacher.  “Where are
you going with this long-winged blue dragon?”
“Anywhere! Everywhere!  Away from here!”

Fragile wings fade and blur leaving the room
My eyes pop open as I hit the ground
“Ouch! Rough landing, eh?” the teacher chuckles.
“But you can take off anytime you want.”
“Gosh, I forgot I knew how to do that!” 
I say disregarding the rough return 
that doesn’t matter compared to the flight
“Don’t try that from any towers,” he says 
and knocks his fist against his lined forehead
“I thought I might jump when I was on top.”
“I know.  Me too.  It is very tempting 
but our part that flies is not the same
as our heads that hit the ground and smash like
melons only with much more blood and mess.”
“I’ll remember that,” I say and chuckle
“What’s the part of us that can fly?” I ask.
“That’s a question each of us can answer
if we keep asking and don’t forget how.”
 “Do you still fly? Do you still remember?”
“Oh yes, but not so far as I once did.”
“Why not? It is better than on the ground.”
“Well, after time, flying is not needed.”
“How come? Tell me. I cannot imagine”
“Because far away is the same as here.”
“Not in this town!” I say with new fluster
“Forgive me, but for me it is just so.”
“I am different. I’m getting out of here.”
“Of that I am certain. It’s very clear.”
“I cannot wait. I’d leave now if I could.”
“No doubt.  So, keep practicing your flying.”

He rises now.  It’s time to go I see
I head for the door and turn back to see
if he is watching me this time.  He is.
I raise both my arms slow above my head
arch my hands like feather tips then pull down
strongly as I smile back at my teacher
and he mirrors my wings – his head thrown back
laughing, shaking long-haired silver feathers
I see he is no stranger to the sky
I see he has been there, the same as I



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So it goes with these two for winter months
I, a swinging pendulum between two lives—
The teacher, a warm flowered summer breeze
Jani, the storm in my cut-loose rigging
The teacher speaking of birds, stars and flights
Jani saying only what is needed
            too busy sailing full before the wind
and me – the landless gull dipping for scraps
                        bobbing behind in the green wake’s froth



One day, unlike other days, I am with
my teacher long after dark – I know that
Jani waits for me out in coldest night
but something holds me back -- I hesitate
feeling an end to matters without names
My teacher’s words touch me from a distance
Tonight, my omen-heart stays with Jani
At last I say goodnight and rush outside
where Jani waits as always, kicking snow

No more questions about the time within
pass between us as we troll the town’s streets
On the way, Jani scouts for the usual 
trouble – locks left open – unguarded goods
but it is a night so calm and placid
that all seems tucked safe from Jani’s dark mood

Down the road a classmate of ours hobbles
I recognize the limping gait – a boy
we know from our classroom.  Jani picks up
the pace suddenly, and I wonder why.  
The boy isn’t our friend – too slow – too simple
for the likes of us – but Jani pursues 
one-pointed – slides out the knife with purpose
I run fast to keep up and hiss, “Jani!”
No response and now Jani runs out front
The boy sees us.  He tries to run away.
Like a tiger, Jani stretches long legs
to close the distance – knife blade shines one claw
The boy’s hoarse cry rasps in his fear-choked throat 
as Jani leaps on him with beast-like spring
                        makes one long slash    casts the boy off         and runs
The boy sits bleeding on the frozen road
            blood pure and bright red-spattering white snow
I see the gash in his shoulder above 
his heart as I stop and look from it to
                        Jani’s shadow falling into slippery dark

The boy gets up clasping hand to shoulder
His eyes lock mine in a question I have 
never seen – like a dog cut for no reason
–careless wounding of a kindly beast

The boy screams out and I see the cry is 
meant for me – he fears I too have a knife
That I, too, bring death on this twisted night
I shake my head ‘no’ but he’s already
            gone dragging crippled leg, assaulted arm
                        and all there’s to do is run for Jani
                                    
I catch up out of breath.  Jani slows down.
“Are you crazy!?” I pant toward his shoulders.
“He’s a weakling cripple!” Jani hisses.
“We’re really in trouble, Jani!” I blurt
“You’re safe.  I will swear you tried to stop me”
“But why do it?  He means nothing to us!”
“That’s the whole point.  He’s nothing!  He is dust!”
“It is too much, Jani! What’s after this!?”
“Nothing for me.  We’re all leaving again.”
“What do you mean leaving again and when?”
“In just a few days from what they tell me.
Something my father did this time at work.  
I may as well make my own trouble too
I’m one of them, you know! I’ll always be.”
“You can’t leave, Jani!  You’re my only friend!”
“That’s not true. You’ve got your precious teacher,”
            Jani grimaces in a sniveling voice
“And now I’ve cut that kid they won’t let you
            be with me for fear of what I might do.”
“They can’t stop me! I’ll say that boy attacked”
“It doesn’t matter!  Don’t you see?  I’m gone!
            Disappeared.  A flash and I’m dead.  Go on!
            Go home!  Get away from me, you coward!”
“Jani! You can’t mean what you are saying!”
“Get away! I’ll cut you too, you moron!” 
Jani’s knife, left-handed, is blood-bent ready 
“Jani,” I whisper backing away now
The knife slashes right and then left – just short . . .

It’s done, I see.  All there is left now is
            walk fast away from Jani which I do
but not before I hear a wracked hoarse sob
rising like curdled smoke from Jani’s throat
I turn back now, reaching out my right hand
“Get away!” Jani growls and cocks the knife.

This time I do and I do not look back

Background:
Childhood and youth aren’t all games and smiles, as most of us know. The protagonist faces the “split” between caring for both the teacher and for Jani. Jani, near the end, faces a situation over which control is impossible, with the exception of running away. When life events overwhelm, there are as many reactions and choices made than there are people on the planet. Think about your youth. Consider challenges and conflicts that you experienced. How did you choose to handle them? Was there a pattern in your choices?

All these questions and considerations break upon young people who are largely unprepared. Perhaps a bit of compassion is in order.

Exploration 1: What is it that makes the protagonist feel torn between Jani and the teacher?

Exploration 2: Is the conversation between the main character and the teacher at the early part of this segment appropriate? Should the teacher be so encouraging?

Exploration 3: What motivates Jani to harm the crippled boy at the end of this segment? Can such behavior be forgiven?





Comments


  1. I personally would lean toward the teacher and away from the violent Jani. But I'm old and risk-averse while the narrator is young and drawn to the exciting, but psycho, Jani. Or maybe the narrator and Jani and the teacher and the cripple are all part of one growing personality.
    Should the teacher be encouraging? Yes. Too many teachers are indifferent. But they have hard jobs. In my own life Jani has gotten me into lots of pickles. The kindly teacher shows me a solution and I limp out, licking my wounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leaning toward either the teacher or Jani leaves out two other alternatives: lean in to both / lean away from both. The tale will tell. Oooo . . . I like your idea of all four characters emerging and converging in one personality. That is just too cool, even if I haven’t thought of this intriguing possibility. I was a teacher, both full-time and part-time, for about 30 years, I can vouch for the difficulty of the work; however, no job that I’ve ever had comes close to the satisfaction from this art. On another note, your second last sentence indicates that you weren’t always risk-averse, as you say you are now. (Pickles be damned!) Finally, I wonder what you see as the solution offered by the teacher, as well as why that solution results in you limping out? Perhaps you empathize with our crippled character. JP Savage

      Delete

Post a Comment