Skip to main content

Graduation Parties: A Family Perspective

Hello and welcome to a damp and rainy Saturday here at the Wannaskan Almanac. Today is May 18th.

Third Grader: Last weekend my oldest sister graduated from college. I felt very happy for her because she graduated twice - once from high school and now from college. She didn't really have a graduation party. (Mom: But we did get together with her roommate's family and hung out in a gorgeous AirBnB on Lake Quinsigamond.) We went for ice cream. I got cookie dough. My mom got coffee Oreo.

I like graduation parties because I might spot my friends there and they (the parties, not my friends) have a lot of food. It's also genuinely really fun because there are a lot of people there and a lot of people I know. There are also fun activities there, for example, cornhole. One time I saw a zipline. And sometimes there's a fire for roasting marshmallows. And simply playing tag with people.

Sixth Grader: I think graduation parties are very good soda collectors. I like to get one soda that I really like and then I save it until maybe a week later until all graduations are done. By then I might have 3 or 4 Moutain Dews. (Mom: Mountain Dew is terrible for you.) Then I drink it sip by sip. (Mom: That causes cavities.) So graduations are really good to get sodas.

This year we're hosting a graduation party for the WAKWIR*. I'm looking forward to it because it will be fun and the food my mom makes is really good. We have to set up our trampoline. We also have to get our garage set up. (Mom: And set up the ping pong table.)

My mom's perspective on graduation parties is that they're a good way to communicate with others. Like, talking with other parents, feeling accomplished for what she made (the food), and feeling accomplished for what she made (the person.)

We're slowly inching our way across getting ready for our graduation party. We're cleaning up mainly where the guests are going to sleep. My mom has been lately angry, so we're trying to maintain her anger so she puts it into helping and it fuels her fire. She's angry because things aren't going her way. For example, last night my brother was like very unhappy and so was my mom because he made a plan and my mom was like: "YOU DIDN'T TELL US!" So that was last night. Sometimes she got so angry (I forgot when), she just stormed off and started helping with something.

We're vacuuming, we're dusting, we're cleaning, and sorting. Basically doing all the things that you have to do to get ready for a graduation party. (Mom: Do you think the work is worth it?) I'd say so. Because a bunch of people are coming, we'll have our trampoline set up, and there's going to be a lot of food.

Straight from the mouths of babes. Graduation parties =  lots of food and lots of people, with some games and playing, prepared lovingly, albeit with some sprinkles of "anger."

As we toil today and tomorrow for the upcoming amazing and very busy week - Scholarship Night, Senior Recital Night, Graduation, and, yes, many graduation parties -  I pledge to feel accomplished instead of crabby for each task completed and item prepared.

I will try to stay calm, do my best to be ready, then let go of what I can't accomplish.

I will remember that all the work that has already gone into preparing our senior to launch into his next adventure DOES makes me feel accomplished!

I'll hold on to that warm feeling of celebration and use that for fuel instead of the kindling of stress and worry. I will imagine the grounding glow of burning coals instead of the bright flames of annoyance that flare then fizzle.

When the people come to our party, I will feel glad to see them. I will feel lots of gratitude for our community and love from our community. I will cherish every handshake, hug, and backslap of congratulations gifted to my son. I will say, "Thank you for coming," and feel it down to my soul.

Back to work at our house!

Future Graduate

*Wannaskan Almanac Kid Writer-in-Residence

Comments

  1. Oh my, the challenges! To me, this sounds like an apt wave of anger—one you will clearly ride into joy and your capacity to enjoy! Congratulations to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't have said it better, Mom! But then I have no offspring - thus no grad parties. I even skipped three degrees worth of my own graduation ceremonies; ergo, no experience here on which to comment!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment