Skip to main content

Kin Twenty-third, 2024 Parenting: Middle School Years

 The year was 2001

Before you get the wrong idea about our parenting skills 'back in the day,' the images preceding the story should ease your mind that daughter Bonny was in any way abused or mistreated. As I've written before over the years -- and likely most of you have forgotten.                                        

"We didn't teach her to be fearful; we taught her to be brave."

She always had companions on her adventures, except this once.

She was a natural when it came to boating adventures.

 
So it was, that the Mikinaak was this high and flowing the day she wanted me to make her a raft ...



Comments

  1. Outward Bound,
    Mikinaak Division

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reminds me of flying adventures with my Dad, in the air v. water. Still it was Daddy and his little girl, wasn't it? I wasn't on top of a beaver lodge when he saved me. I was practicing dead stick landings -the engine turned off, and the pilot (me) goes through all the checks and procedures for a forced landing including which place to set down. Not so easy. All the while, the prop is stopped and sticking straight up in front of us. So, how did he save me? I waited too long to restart the engine and we were losing altitude. But Danger-Dodging Dad took over at the appropriate (i.e., last minute) time, restarted the power plant, and smoothly began our ascent.
    We didn't practice any more dead stick landings that day, but just like getting back on the horse - in this case horsepower - we were back at it the next day. That day, I restarted the engine in plenty of time. Dad just chuckled.
    Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment