Skip to main content

Stroke: A Journey

Hello and welcome to fishing and Mother's Day Saturday here at the Wannasakan Almanac. Today is May 13th.

Today's blog post is the first entry of the All Roads Lead to Wannaska Writing Contest-Opportunity-Celebration! 

Stroke: A Journey
by Karen Kakaygeesick-Dethmers

The life of living with a person with a stroke, 
whether it be yourself 
or someone you love.

It can be heartbreaking to see your loved one in this state, 
you feel helpless, you shed tears,
you want to shout, why my loved one. 

No one can predict how your life will be in the future, 
but always be ready, 
take it one day at a time. 

Have some tissues handy, 
be ready to throw things which will help with the frustration you are feeling, 
again tears will flow. 

Pray every day for strength, 
healing, understanding, 
patience, 

as your loved one is feeling the same as you do 
more than likely more frustrated 
as they cannot do as they did before the stroke. 

You will need to be as positive as you can be with them. 
Positive Vibes!
If you feel positive, that feeling will transfer to them.

After months or years after a stroke, the day it happened will take you back, 
tears shed, and the feeling of that first day with them laying in an ICU unit will come back.
It happens to me, 

When you look at your loved one and see the progress they have made,
your hope that someday they will be back to normal. 
What is normal to you may not be the same for your loved one.

Take it one day at a time, 
remember to keep the positivity up, 
and cherish every moment whether it be sad or happy.

We had so much help that first day from family, friends. 
Sometimes I think back 
and who was there and am so grateful.

We had a double whammy that day, as my sister had passed away 
and we had her memorial services that same day. 
I knew in my heart, he would have had me stay for her also. 

I took off the next day to see him 
and I kept whispering in his ear, 
"Get better for yourself and us. 

You have the strength inside of you! 
I love you."  
I whispered every day he was in the ICU.

My hometown helped me out during these dark days 
when I felt so alone sitting in the ICU at times. 
Am so ever thankful for those who helped out.

I give the biggest shoutout to my Son, 
who took good care of me and our dog Mookie. 
He had supper waiting for me 

when I was going back and forth 
from Fargo to Grand Forks daily 
so I could sit with my husband.   

Keep thinking the good thoughts & positivity, 
yes it can be hard to do. 
Say a prayer and keep moving forward.

Peace, stay groovy!!





Comments

  1. I agree 100 percent with the statements written in this expose. My personal experience reinforces her observations to be true. Hugs and strength to all who contend with the residuals of a stroke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such enormous love evident here in this generous account of such a challenging life experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nostalgia is not just for the past, but for the wish for something to return or for hope it never does. Memory is the engine of nostalgia JPS

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment