Skip to main content

The Fourth Grader's First Sleepover

Hello and welcome to a sports-y Saturday here at the Wannaskan Almanac. Today is March 12th.

First, I want to thank everyone who took the time to read last week's post, How My Friend Fled Wartime Ukraine. The response and support were very positive and so appreciated. 

We had a milestone birthday at our house this week. The Fourth Grader turned 10!

Mom: So, kiddo, tell us about your birthday. Why were you especially excited about this birthday?
Kiddo: I was really excited about having a sleepover.

M: Why was that special?
K: Because it was my first one ever. 

M: Yes! That's right! Your parents don't allow sleepovers until their kids are 10 years old. How do you feel about that rule?
K: Uhm...I thought it was unfair because people like at 9 or 8 or 5 get a phone and a sleepover and it's really unfair. I can't get a phone until I'm 13 - that's three years from now - and a sleepover when I'm 10.

M: So, it's been frustrating because everybody else gets these things and you don't?
K: YES!

M: So, now you turned 10. How did you celebrate your birthday?
K: Well, it all started on Wednesday. When I was going to school, Tata (dad) was singing a song about me turning ten. My sister called in the morning when I was eating cereal when the bus was coming. My dad brought me to school so I wouldn't smash the cupcakes (30 of them) for my class while riding the bus.

M: How did your school day go?
K: I got two presents from my friend: a Minecraft cat sitting and a fox Minecraft house Lego set.

M: That's awesome! How did you celebrate your birthday outside of school?
K: We had to wait until 9pm to celebrate my birthday ON my birthday because of church school and piano lessons. I opened my presents from my family. Got twenty bucks from grandma. My favorite present was the big chocolate bunny from Tata.

M: What was the plan for your first sleepover?
K: My friends were going to come at 5 o'clock and mom was baking a cake. And then at 5:30, my friends finally came over. I got really excited. My friend and I watched Fireheart, the movie (on Hulu), and then we had dinner, my favorite potatoes and mozzarella sticks. Then we continued watching the movie and then we had cake.

M: What kind of cake was it?
K: A three-layered chocolate cake.

M: Then what happened?
K: We ate the cake, we continued watching the movie, then one friend had to go home. Then my other friend (who was spending the night) and I brushed our teeth and got into our pajamas. And then she started to feel scared, embarrassed, and anxious and wanted to go home. I went downstairs to tell my parents.

M: How did you feel when she said she wanted to go home?
K: I was trying to hold back my tears until she left. Then I exploded with tears.

M: So, you didn't have the sleepover?
K: No.

M: How do you feel about that now?
K: I wish it could have just gone on perfectly. 

M: It was a kind thing you did, though, being understanding of your friend. It took a lot of courage for her to say she wanted to go home.
K: Yeah.

M: Are you still sad?
K: Yeah.

MDo you have plans for another sleepover?
K: Maybe in September when it's my friend's birthday. Then it will probably go perfectly.

M: Why's that?
K: Because if I'm at her house she won't be so anxious.

M:  I think you're right. While it might look like "everyone's" having sleepovers and you're missing out, there might actually be more kids out there than you think who aren't ready for sleepovers yet. Just like your friend!
K: I think everything over the night was erased from my friend's mind. We burned it all down and now we forget about it and start over again.

M: Yeah. Begin again. I think that's a good idea.



On This Day

Historic Highlights (credits)

1967 - Suharto rises to power in Indonesia
His presidency, which lasted 31 years, was overshadowed by crass human rights violations and the occupation of East Timor.

1947 - The Truman doctrine is proclaimed
In his speech before Congress, U.S. President Harry S. Truman defined his foreign relations priorities, which included military and economic support to Turkey and Greece to prevent the spread of communism there.

1938 - Hitler invades Austria
The occupation of Hitler's homeland is known as Anschluss, which is the German word for annexation.

1930 - Mahatma Gandhi embarks on his Salt March
The 240-mile march was an act of civil disobedience to protest the British monopoly on salt. It was one of the most significant events during the Indian independence movement.

1918 Moscow becomes Russia's capital city
St. Petersburg lost its status as the Russian capital following the Revolution of 1917, which dismantled the Tsarist autocracy.

Happy Birthday to You!🎶 


1979 - Pete Doherty, English singer-songwriter, guitarist

1947 - Mitt Romney, American businessman, politician, 70th Governor of Massachusetts

1946 - Liza Minnelli, American actress, singer, dancer

1922 - Jack Kerouac, American author, poet

1864 - W. H. R. Rivers, English anthropologist, neurologist, ethnologist, psychiatrist

Remembering You

2015 - Terry Pratchett, English author

1999 - Yehudi Menuhin, American/Swiss violinist, conductor

1955 - Charlie Parker, American saxophonist, composer

1925 - Sun Yat-sen, Chinese revolutionary, politician, 1st President of the Republic of China

1914 - George Westinghouse, American engineer, inventor

Celebrate the milestones, begin again, and make it a great Saturday. 

Kim





Comments