Skip to main content

In the Belly of the Megalopolis

 



   I don’t like to leave home in the winter. Bad things can happen: blizzards block roads, furnaces go out and water pipes freeze. Better to stay home and sip tea by the fire. But our granddaughter in Massachusetts was born in February and we haven’t been present for her party for several years.

   Isla turned eight on the 21st, a Monday. The whole week was devoted to her happiness. She loves animals so on Tuesday we took her to Harvard’s Museum of Natural History.

   Isla lives in Marshfield, south of Boston. The museum is in Cambridge on the other side of the city. The best way to get to Harvard is by public transit. Our plan was to drive 20 miles north to Braintree, the southern terminus of the train that runs all the way to the Harvard Square station.

   Two of Isla’s classmates, twins Danny and John and their mother Mary, would be meeting us at the Braintree station. Isla’s brother Nash would be along with their father Joe, Teresa, and me. Of course we got a late start. Joe drove fast to Braintree not wanting to keep Mary and her boys waiting.

   In our rush, we missed the exit to the parking garage for the Braintree station. Ah, there’s another exit. We swung into the garage and drove up to the fourth level. “4B” is us we said to ourselves.

   The kiosk for buying our tickets was confusing, but a friendly employee helped us put our round-trip fares onto a plastic Charley card. Do you remember the Kingston Brothers song Charley of the MTA about a guy who gets trapped on the Boston subway?

   So we rushed up the stairs to the station platform. A train was just coming in. We didn’t see Mary. Maybe she went on ahead. We jumped aboard and Joe texted Mary. She replied that they were still in Braintree and would catch the next train.

   We waited in the underground Harvard station for about 15 minutes for Mary and the boys to arrive, then went up into busy Harvard Square. It took a few minutes to get our bearings then we walked through Harvard Yard to the museum.

   I had been to this museum many years ago when our own kids were little. Back then it was called the Agassiz Museum in honor of Louis Agassiz, a 19th century geologist who figured out how glaciers worked. He was also a white supremacist and so his name had to be erased. We live in the ancient bed of Lake Agassiz in northwest Minnesota so I expect change is coming our way as well.

   The museum was great. I highly recommend a visit if you’re in the area. Afterwards we found a hamburger place for lunch then headed back to the subway for the trip home. I remember in the old days people used to read newspapers or magazines or books on the subway. Now everyone was immersed in their phones. I imagine they were texting their loved ones.

   We eventually arrived back at the Braintree station. Nash needed a restroom so Mary went on ahead. When we emerged from the station, everything looked vaguely unfamiliar. We checked with an employee out front. “You didn’t park at the Quincy-Adams station did you?” he asked. Just then we spotted Mary waving to us from an upper level of the garage across the street. We made our way to the fourth level which was open to the sky. Our fourth level had a roof. Please make theTwilight Zone music stop.

   We made our way back to the employee. “I thought I’d see you guys again.” He very kindly let us back into the station for free and we caught the next train north one stop to where in our haste we had parked our car. There’s a moral out there somewhere. I need to engrave it on my brain.


“One of the great disadvantages of hurry is that it takes such a long time.” ― G.K. Chesterton

    

   

Comments

  1. There's something about losing your car in a parking garage that borders on insanity especially if you didn't pay close attention to its exact location. Preoccupied as you were managing little people perhaps, or being more concerned about getting to your meeting destination on time, you may have subconsciously thought you'd recognize the level number/and or color on your return, as you always do; that, and cutting yourself some slack, if you wouldn't remember it yourself, there are two other conscientious adults with you to do it. Shit happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lived in Boston for the better part of a year when I worked for Price Waterhouse. PW had lined up a studio apartment in the financial district, but that wasn't my style and it was stupidly expensive. So, in a taxi on my first trip in, I asked the driver if he knew of any apts. for rent in a quieter, less expensive area. "Oh, you betcha!" he said. (I thought I was in my own Twilight Zone back in Minnesota.) He proceeded to take me to Back Bay to a place I rented on the spot. Nice brownstone on a second floor on Commonwealth Avenue. I loved every month there. The Charles River was close enough for evening strolls (yes, I had become a martial artist by then.) Every day (yes, 7 days a week - ya' don't get the glamour for nothing.) I wen to the Copley T-stop and headed to the Seaport District. (Can't remember where I changed trains.) My desk at the client's (Fidelity Investments) was at the end of a pier with an open view to the water. Even got to see the "Tall Ships" sail by. Very cool. The thing is, when I did have a few hours, I always headed for Boston Commons. It was (is?) the most natural place in that area, and those of you who know me, understand why I gravitate to natural places. For 22 years now, we've had our version of a 60x40 mile Forest Boston Commons - no sheep, no crowds, no city crouching just over your shoulder. Sorry to be so long - You've tickled my memory cells.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment