Skip to main content

WAKWIR: First Trimester Recap

Hello, and welcome back to another lovely blog written by me! It’s been two months since I last posted, and I have a lot of things to cover. From the first school trimester ending, to another trimester starting, to getting Covid - so, so, so many things have happened. So let’s get to it!

It has been a long and hard two months. My classes got more difficult, I had less time to do my homework, and it was only the middle of the trimester. Once the cross country season ended, things actually went a bit better. I had more time to do my homework; I had more time to just cool off and relax. Then the activities came. I joined Knowledge Bowl, One Act, and Robotics. My time to relax was over. The homework became more frequent and more difficult. Eventually, I did finish it all, but right as I kicked off the second trimester, I got Covid. Now that's a lot of information packed into two paragraphs, so I’ll break it up a bit for you all. 

In my Honors English class back in October, we had to write a 4-5 page analytical essay on To Kill a Mockingbird. I spent days agonizing over it, not knowing what to write on. Eventually, the due date came, and I didn’t even have my rough draft done. Thankfully, when it was MEA weekend, we got the weekend to do our essays. I had one reason why I didn't do it over the weekend: I was camping on the North Shore by Lake Superior with my dad and little brother. When I got back from that four-day trip, I had a whole essay to write. It wasn’t due till the next night, but panic still set in. I eventually got it turned, about an hour before midnight, when it was due. A similar situation happened at the end of the trimester (only without the vacation) when I procrastinated a lot on a much shorter 2-page essay. But, even though I turned it in at the last minute, I still got a decent grade for the class. 

Right after my last post, I was sick for a week, and it really messed me up work-wise. I missed workdays on projects in Art class, I missed labs in Biology, and, probably the most urgent of all, I missed a test and a bunch of notes in Algebra. These were all things I had to do when I got back to school after being sick. Me being me, of course I put off the Biology and Art things for the end of the trimester. I also put off Spanish, but I did it within the month. 

Those classes were a bit less hectic than English, but the work level still increased, as expected. In Biology, we did two huge chapters on photosynthesis and cellular respiration. I’d say that, other than English, those two parts of Biology were the next hardest thing. We got to use a small notecard for our test so even if we didn’t know everything, we could write down what we didn’t know. The only problem was I was in the Honors Biology class. Our notecard was about 75 percent smaller than the regular Biology classes. I think the worst I did was about six or seven wrong on a 50-point test.

The rest of my classes weren't as work-heavy or difficult as the last two (English and Biology), but they were still a challenge. Algebra had its difficult challenges; in Art, we had a few more difficult projects, but I’ve got to say, they weren’t fun to make at the time, but now it is fun to look at the artwork I created. Spanish was probably the only class where things didn’t really change. I caught on to the topics really quickly and aced almost every test and quiz. The final project was a bit difficult because I had to draw a classroom and name about 30 different items. The naming wasn’t bad, however, the drawing was.

All in all, the first trimester went pretty smoothly. I did relatively well in all of my classes by the end of the trimester. I got As in all of my classes, finished all of the work I procrastinated on (thankfully no late penalties were given), and was very happy with how I had done that trimester. It only took one stressful weekend of constantly doing homework to get everything done. Also towards the end of the first trimester, I enrolled in a few different activities. They did make the end of the trimester a bit more stressful, but I handled it all fine.

After a nice long weekend, the second trimester started. Many of my classes stayed the same. The only changes I had were U.S. History and Current Events instead of Art and Spanish. So far, I’m enjoying both of them, which is good. All of my other classes stayed the same except in Honors English. Our work difficulty will increase a whole lot. I’m not really excited about it, but what happens happens. 

I was feeling great about the second trimester in general, but on Wednesday, the third day of the trimester, I started feeling a bit sick. I decided to skip one of my activities, Knowledge Bowl, and go straight home. Boy was I glad I did. That night my mom gave me a Covid test just to be sure it wasn’t Covid. It came back positive. Only three days into the second trimester and, right off the bat, I'm doing distanced learning. Isn’t that just...great. I have to self isolate, so I’ve been stuck in my room for the past three days. All I do is eat, sleep, work on school homework, and play on my phone. Oh, and write the blog, too! ;)

Well, I think that’s all there is to it today. I hope everyone has a wonderful day, and I wish everyone an early Merry Christmas! 

David, aka WAKWIR

(Wannaskan Almanac Kid Writer-in-Residence)




On This Day

Historic Highlights (credits)

1991 - Pan Am ceases operations
The Pan American World Airways, the largest airline in the United States began operations in October 1927.

1982 - China adopts its current constitution
The Constitution of the People's Republic of China replaced the Constitutions of 1954, 1975, and 1978.

1980 - Led Zeppelin disbands
The British rock band announced that it was disbanding 12 years after coming on the music scene after the death of drummer John Bonham.

1978 - Dianne Feinstein became the first female mayor of San Francisco
A United States Senator from California, Feinstein became the 38th mayor of San Francisco after the murder of George Moscone.

1791 - First Sunday paper published
The Observer, a British newspaper became the first newspaper in the world to be published and read on a Sunday.

Happy Birthday to You!🎶 


1969 - Jay-Z, American rapper, producer, actor, co-founded Roc-A-Fella Records

1964 - Marisa Tomei, American actress

1949 - Jeff Bridges, American actor, singer, producer

1923 - Charles Keating, American lawyer, businessman

Remembering You

1993 - Frank Zappa, American singer-songwriter, guitarist, producer

1976 - Benjamin Britten, English composer, conductor, pianist

1975 - Hannah Arendt, German/American theorist, philosopher

1893 - John Tyndall, British physicist

1123 - Omar Khayyám, Persian mathematician, astronomer, poet


Pace yourselves through the holidays and make it a great Saturday!

Kim 



Comments

  1. David, I applaud your self- identification as a procrastinator so early in your life. Some of us don't see ourselves that way until very late in the game. Funny thing is, that unless we really recognize that fact at the onset of each and every project (or honey-do-list) and consciously act upon it, we do it repeatedly the rest of our lives, believe me.

    I can look back over my life and sadly think about all the times (Well, not realistically 'all the times,' because by the time you're my age, memories begin to fade a bit.) I've procrastinated too long and reliably failed at something. On the other hand, every day of my life since 1971, I acknowledge the day I didn't put something important off and asked my uncle if he'd sell me his farm. He quickly answered, "Well, I suppose you'll want to draw up the contract this afternoon." He didn't procrastinate either.

    Looking forward to your next post. Keep up the good work.
    WW

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment