Skip to main content

WAKWIR: I Officially Hate Algebra (and Other Observations from School)

Hello, and welcome back to another wonderful adventure on the blog! It’s been a few weeks since I’ve posted, but even in the last few weeks, quite a bit has happened. Mostly things regarding school, but also a few things that don’t deal with school. Well, prepare a short snack, sit back, and enjoy these recent events. 

First of all, school. I officially hate Algebra 2, Spanish is easy, Biology is tedious, and Art is stressful. (Both the class and the art itself.) We’ll start with Algebra. I am learning things at a very rapid pace. We do notes the first half of the class, work on an assignment the other half, grade the assignment the next day, and move on to the next chapter where the cycle repeats. I struggle with the amount of time it takes me to understand the material which usually doesn't happen until the end of class or at home at ten at night. The assignment starts out as a confusing, really hard mess of numbers and letters. Once I get it though, then it's just a tedious, yet manageable, load of work that only takes an hour if it’s "easy." I still have a solid ‘A’ in that class though so I should be fine.

I really underestimated how easy Spanish is. How is memorizing the alphabet hard? Or memorizing how to pronounce and perfectly spell numbers? Or general phrases? Maybe it’s just the fact that learning languages is just something that comes easy to me, or that the class just hasn’t gotten hard yet. But then again, for the majority of the class, it’s difficult, even for those who have taken Spanish 1 before. They say that the stuff is still really hard. Weird. I think the class is one of the easiest I have this trimester. And it’s a pretty good class to miss for cross country when we have to leave school early for meets.

Now Art is easy when there are no projects due. But once we get started on a project, that’s where I start to peter out, especially on my art skills. I can still do projects, and do them somewhat well, but it doesn’t mean that it is easy, like it is for some people in the class. It usually takes me twice as long to finish a project at half the quality compared to others. But to look at things on the positive side, at least I now know that art in its physical form (drawings, paintings, etc.) is not for me.

Biology is biology. It’s pretty straightforward. You do the major assignment specifically for the Honors Class, follow and understand the notes, do the labs (and don’t mess them up like I did once), and you’ll do just fine on the test. Which I did. The main thing I learned in that class however was something I kind of learned in the past with other classes but didn’t really catch on to till this class. If you study, you do a good job. On my first Biology test, I didn’t really do all that well (Six points docked off a 50-point test wasn’t great for me), but for yesterday's test I did study, and I got the highest score out of the class. Only two wrong off a 43-point test.

Honors English is actually somehow my favorite class. With the teacher we have, it’s not your typical, boring, old English class where you read books, answer questions, write essays, get bored to death on poems, and barely do any grammar stuff, then be expected to have perfect grammar. I mean it is like that, but just different. To me, it’s a really enjoyable, engaging, and interesting class. I've always thought that the teacher makes all the difference between an interesting class and a boring class, even with the same material. The class is still really hard, and I have had a few late nights finishing assignments, not to mention the brutal grading, but so far I have really enjoyed pretty much everything we've done so far. Just to be clear, I don’t like English as a subject, but the teacher has made me like that specific class. 

Ok, enough school. I'm already counting down the days till summer vacation. Instead, let’s talk about something a bit more exciting...Cross Country. Who likes running? No one. Who is in the sport? Me. And who got a second-place JV medal for my first cross country meet this year? Me. I don’t really remember my 3-mile time for that race, but it was somewhere around 25:55. Pretty slow, but I guess there were a lot more Varsity runners and way fewer Junior Varsity runners than I thought there would be. And what’s even more exciting is that it was the first medal I have ever gotten in my four years of being in Cross Country. I guess even slow runners can do well.

On the topic of Cross Country, I also have been improving my race times a lot. In my last meet, I got a 23:50, which is a lot better than my first meet which was 25:52. I couldn't go to the most recent meet, however, because I had a dentist appointment to get a new fake tooth. Last Wednesday while I was eating lunch, my fake tooth randomly fell out. I got it replaced the next day, which was nice, considering that the next appointment I would have had would have been in about 6 months. So I went to the appointment rather than the meet, which did make me a bit sad.

All in all, that’s really it. A few weeks, a lot happening, a lot of learning, and a lot of procrastinating.(Oops. Didn’t mean to write that). I hope you all have a wonderful Saturday and wish you a lovely farewell

David (WAKWIR, aka Wannaskan Almanac Kid Writer-in-Residence)

PS. Homecoming was this week, and last night was the dance. That was definitely an adventure. I did learn something about myself that night, and that was that parties aren't my thing at all. Too loud. Too much dancing. Not my style.

On This Day

Historic Highlights (credits)

2002 - Beltway sniper attacks begin
A series of coordinated sniper attacks occurred in Washington, D.C., Maryland, and Virginia. The attacks lasted 3 weeks and resulted in the killing of 10 people.

1992 - Carandiru massacre
A prison riot in Carandiru Penitentiary, Brazil, led to the killing of over 100 inmates by the police.

1958 - declares independence
Guinea declared its independence from France.

1950 - Peanuts published for the first time
Charles M. Schulz's comic strip, Peanuts, was printed for the first time in 9 newspapers around the U.S.

1835 - Battle of Gonzales
The first military engagement of the Texas War of Independence, the Battle of Gonzales, occurred on this day between Texas rebels and Mexican troops. This battle marked the beginning of Texas' War of Independence, which resulted in the establishment of the Republic of Texas.

Happy Birthday to You!🎶 


1966 - Yokozuna, American wrestler

1951 - Sting, English singer-songwriter, bass player, actor

1949 - Annie Leibovitz, American photographer

1904 - Graham Greene, English author, playwright, critic

1890 - Groucho Marx, American comedian, actor

Remembering You

2015 - Brian Friel, Irish author, playwright, director

1985 - Rock Hudson, American actor

1973 - Paavo Nurmi, Finnish runner

1968 - Marcel Duchamp, French painter

1803 - Samuel Adams, American politician, 4th Governor of Massachusetts


Make it a great Saturday!

Kim




Comments