Skip to main content

18 Oct 2021 – The One - Song 12 – Segment 2

BEYOND HERE THERE BE DRAGONS 

Here be dragons, Here there be dragons, or There be dragons. These phrases or some variant have been used over the centuries on geographical maps. "Here be dragons" (Latin: hic sunt dracones) means dangerous or unexplored territories, in imitation of a medieval practice of putting illustrations of dragons, sea monsters, and other mythological creatures on uncharted areas of maps where potential dangers were thought to exist.

And yes, we are about to be allowed into the presence of another Dragon, the next in line after EndMaker. Last time we found our main character walking rather aimlessly under the scrutinizing eyes of an unknown observer. In this segment that observer is identified – maybe. See for yourself.

Note: For continuity, the segment begins with the last stanza most recently posted.

The One, Song 12 – “Choices Passed” - Segment 2


Asudden a rush of grasses rustling
Swooping overhead, a high-pitched screeching 
Memory jumps to a cave, dog named Argos
a red-white dragon, a creature black-winged
The rustle of past conclusions slipping
Wing-on-wing, possibilities thinning.
Drifting red boat with four letters burned black
Sail up but no faster – anchor years deep 
thin sharp silhouette with hand on tiller
but no matter – choices led only here . . .

. . . Aimless walking to place of certainty
but memories’ blunted by unity
like old, dried, unfolded origami 
as if no story ever secret or told
Just is as it is – both present and gone
neither goodness nor evil ever known

Aimless walking to place of certainty
but memories’ blunted by unity
like old, dried, unfolded origami 
as if no story were secret or told
Just is as it is – both present and gone
neither goodness nor evil ever known
Perhaps I’ve come to the end of choices
chains and choosing – nothing to do but frown
For a hundred years there is no reply
No answers to all the wheres and the whys
I’m a fool waiting and watching a stump
for a woodchuck or beaver to come back
I’m riding my horse looking for my horse
To the end I will search without finding
though this one goes before the whip appears
This is a good one to travel nowhere
After death, what will I need – I’m guessing
when life is over and I take my leave
at the last moment that I still can breathe
I’ll say, “Drag this corpse to a 1,000 foot well
where a single hand makes no random sound
don’t place this rotting skinbag in the ground
Without understanding, across the well
lay me – a board – no matter if I fall
or balance me like an egg’s narrow end
I promise not to rise up or shout out
Even a mute lies silent in the end

Bah!

I scratch my nose even before it itches
Now that I am old, I can do such things
Extraordinary this little thing is

Aha!

I’ve arrived and kept her waiting too long
but she lies coiled blue in the Blue Pond
bubbles rising slowly as she’s breathing
A reclining Dragon is never seen
in stagnant water nor in purple dream
The blue pond under a shadowless tree
just as sweet as lethal and both to me.
As she looks up, waves rise without wind here
in each bubble a Dragon word to my ear
In a thousand years never another like her
Again, and at last, I float down to her
as she opens her wings like a lotus bloom
with petals enfolds me to her breast
and begins to feed me air from her own breath

After death
needs are small
and I can rest at last and after all

Background

Even those who don’t admit it are fascinated, or at least curious, about Dragons. Yes, capital “D.” For some reason, lower case, dragon, does not suit their majesty, real or imagined. In ancient times Dragons could be beneficent, magical gods or goddesses (a small per cent of them female. Likewise, in The One, we have, as Clint Eastwood might say, “The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly” appearing intermittently through this epic poem. But people and Dragons aren’t always what they appear to be on the surface. What looks fierce may be gentle. What seems innocent may turn out sinister and mean. And perhaps the worst of all, a loved one can also be a betrayer of the sacred. If you are so inclined, see how many such dichotomies you can identify in the entire epic poem.

Exploration 1: Are you interested or curious about Dragons? Why or why not?

Exploration 2: Speculate why Dragon myths are found in nearly all cultures.

Exploration 3: Whether or not you are attracted to, horrified by, or oblivious to Dragons, pause and consider why so many have appeared in The One.

Exploration 4: Why has the author of this post focused so heavily on Dragons? After all, there isn’t there a lot more going on in this Song 12?

Exploration 5: Do you notice anything unique about this segment of The One?

Comments


  1. 1. I used to mix up dragons with dinosaurs. Both were scary. I tried to keep a lemur profile.
    2. We all have a reptile memory of dinosaurs from which we created dragons.
    3. Dragons are the Dinos ex machina of “The One.”
    4. Don’t know. But it’s all to the good. I’m still waiting to find out what happens to the Main Character and the dog Argos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The protagonist is an elder in this entry, so Argos would have left us before. I think you are right, however. At least a nod to Argos is in order. As for the main character, the answer is within the reader's ken. Look again, dear reader.

      Delete

Post a Comment