Skip to main content

Wannaskan Almanac for Tuesday, December 21, 2021...Nuts to This!

Ah, tis a delicious deed as I have published this soon to be classic blog at 12:21 on 12/21 in the year of 2021.  The dictators in charge of Blogspot would not let me backdate this blog to the year 1221.  Let's just hope that Santa gives them a pile of coal for their stockings!

This year, as Christmas approaches, I have taken up eating mixed nuts.  I used to go on an endless cycle of buying chocolate to share at Christmas and then eating said chocolate before guests arrived.  It was something that I have been known to do at every holiday...July 4th, Valentine's Day, Halloween, and even Groundhog Day.  Now, thanks to years of therapy and the embarrassment of children trying to sit on my lap at the mall and tell me what they want for Christmas, I have switched over to nuts.

The first kind of nuts I got was deluxe mixed nuts.  

Nuts, in case you can't read the bag

These nuts are pretty good, but they don't have the best nuts (according to a Wannaskan Almanac reader poll) in there.  I am talking about Brazil Nuts.  The mixture I got was cashews, almonds, hazelnuts, pecans, and pistachios.  I was impressed with the freshness guarantee, but was left wanting more.  

I did find some Brazil nuts in a hardware store.  This was appropriate because the nuts were still in their shells.  As anyone who has had a hankering for some Brazil nuts know, you need some serious hardware to free the delicious innards from their impenetrable prison.  

The Alcatraz of the nut world

The last thing I wanted was the only option I had left.  I looked online for shelled Brazil nuts.  Of course I stopped to do a little research on brazil nuts first.  Did you know that you don't have to put a capital letter on brazil when you are talking about nuts?  That will save time during the rest of this blog.  Also, brazil nuts are found in the Amazonian forests of Brazil, Peru, Colombia, and Ecuador.  This could lead to a conflict if Peru, Colombia, and Ecuador really get worried about not receiving credit for their produce.  Anyway, I looked up brazil nuts and found them online...shelled and salted...and grudgingly ordered them.  I hate ordering things online because it takes days to get the item and I might have moved past the desire for the item by the time it shows up.  I might just go nuts before these treats show up!

With that horrible attempt at a pun I will leave you to go shopping or decorating or baking or whatever else you have going on.  Don't forget to get some peru nuts for your favorite writer!

And have a Merry Christmas!


Comments

  1. Will you be attended the Wannaskan Almanac Annual Board Meeting on Friday December 31-Saturday January 1?
    Warning: the Shêdeau may contain nuts that evening.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment